WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my father's estate is a Hamilton pocket watch. It appears to be gold plated. Sadly, the crystal is missing. Otherwise it appears to be in good condition. Any guess on model, year or value? Before I take it to a jeweler, I'd like to know if the trip will be worth the time and gasoline. Thanks. pocket watch.jpg

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Based on the dial, it looks like it could be a railroad model. But we would have to see the movement and markings inside the caseback in order to determine approximate value.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
You should be able to unscrew the back cover and look at the movement. It will unscrew counterclockwise. That will tell you the type of movement... 21 jewel 992, etc. the serial number on the movement will get you a date.

It's certainly worth getting a crystal on it to protect the dial and hands. Should cost you no more than $20.

You should also get it serviced, cleaned and oiled, should run you $75 tops assuming nothing is broken.

Fixed up its worth $100 to $250, depending on what's under the hood.

Being your fathers / grandfathers, it really ought to be "priceless"

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Also, it's likely "lever set" meaning if you unscrew the front bezel (the ring where the glass would mount) there is a little lever around 2:00. Slide it out with your fingernail and you can then move the hands by turning the crown. Slide the lever back in and the time is set. Then screw the ring back on.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Definitely worth the trip. This was a high quality watch back in the day. Even Hamilton's lower quality pieces were excellent watches.

Assuming it's only a cleaning and a crystal, the cost should be well under the market value, but an heirloom has value beyond its price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts