WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This staple of the Hamilton vintage line-up was reputedly worn by President John F. Kennedy.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
I am a big fan of Hamiltons Vintage series.
It's nice to see a company whose newer "vintage" models are copies of themselves.
(does that make sense???):confused1:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I am a big fan of Hamiltons Vintage series.
It's nice to see a company whose newer "vintage" models are copies of themselves.
(does that make sense???):confused1:
I agree with you Foggy, however IMO they could have really made an outstanding effort if they brought these models back with a mechanical movement. This would have really brought back that "vintage" feel.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
I agree with you Foggy, however IMO they could have really made an outstanding effort if they brought these models back with a mechanical movement. This would have really brought back that "vintage" feel.
There are some vintage models with auto movements and there is a LE Ventura with an automatic.
I think the only true mechanicals in their line is the Khaki Mechanical (ETA 2801,I believe) which is under 300.00 new and the Khaki Field Mechanical with a Unitas movement.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I like the idea of a Venture automatic which I think is the 50th anniversary model, since the watch was the first electric, it seems that the new models should also be electric.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I love it.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
While I like the idea of a Venture automatic which I think is the 50th anniversary model, since the watch was the first electric, it seems that the new models should also be electric.
There is an anniversary limited edition in a quartz version. An "electric" was an actual mechanical movement driven by a battery.

(not my picture)

I wonder if they would even have the tooling to make these anymore.

One thing about the Hamilton Electrics...they didn't have the best reputation and were killed by the Bulova Accutron watches (that were killed by the quartz watch). Consequently very few watchmakers knew how to repair them. In fact, there is only one guy, that I know of that can repair a Hamilton electric. Caution should be taken when buying an old "electric" watch...For some watchmakers stuck cheap quartz movements or automatics in the cases discarding the electric movement.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Love that piece

There are some vintage models with auto movements and there is a LE Ventura with an automatic.
I think the only true mechanicals in their line is the Khaki Mechanical (ETA 2801,I believe) which is under 300.00 new and the Khaki Field Mechanical with a Unitas movement.

Foggy, variations on the 2824-2 theme are a few (like my QNE 2895 fitted) the mechanical chrono lines (Khaky or otherwise) use the V 7750...in different formats

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Foggy, variations on the 2824-2 theme are a few (like my QNE 2895 fitted) the mechanical chrono lines (Khaky or otherwise) use the V 7750...in different formats

I think you are talking about automatics ,in which case you are spot on about the 7750 and the 2824 variations.
The examples I gave are true mechanical (hand wound) movements employing the ETA 2801 hand wound and the Unitas 6497 handwound,respectvely.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I understand...

Yes, I went off target...thanks Foggy ..yes you are correct as far as I know about the true mechanicals:thumbup1:

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
@mgiraz

That is a great looking watch.
I believe hat you have just pushed me over the edge.
I have been enabled!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts