WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, guys. No photos. I cannot post from this device.
I am writing about the 46mm with dark grey dial and light brown strap- see google for images.
I was in the market for something oversize. Something I could wear to work with a nice suit. Something like an IWC Big Pilot or a Panerai Luminor....but for a fraction of the price.
So one Saturday in January, my buddy and I dropped by our top local Hamilton dealer for a browse before heading to the pub.

And there it was.

The King Pilot caught my eye from the display case and when I heard the price, I had to struggle to stop smiling so that I could negotiate with my poker face. I would have paid full retail, no problem!

The King Pilot is a work of art. The color scheme, grey dial and light brown strap, is just gorgeous. The huge case is a stunning combination of brushed and polished stainless steel.
I mean, I could go and on. It's fantastic. And the movement, which can be seen through the back, is super cool. The strap is so thick and just super quality.

I had one quality issue- the crown broke off and it had to be sent for repair but it came back within 2 weeks.
My King Pilot typically gains 3-4 seconds per day, which is better than any of my other mechanical pieces.

The night time lume is cool.

The only thing "wrong" with this piece is that the Hamilton name doesn't have a lot of snob factor at cocktail parties. However, it cost about 15% of a Panerai!!!! So how can you argue with that???
So there is great news, people. You can actually buy a stunning, oversize piece with a nice ETA movement...for under $1,000!!! Now, how cool is that???

And I'll tell you something else. The Hamilton leather strap is totally superior to what you'll find on a Panerai. Yes, we're talking incredible value here.
I really am a fan of HAMILTON and I also own a Khaki Mechanical 44mm with a sweet leather strap with rivets. I got it pre-owned on eBay and then bought the rivet strap from the same dealer that sold me the King Pilot. I should mention that the Khaki Mechanical uses the same ETA hand wound movement as....the Panerai Luminor Base.

So, if you have an opportunity to buy a King Pilot, you'll be making a superb choice.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Nice review Mark - and glad to see that you are happy with your purchase. Bit disturbing about the broken crown though....

I did the google thing and think I found one.... Perhaps you could post the model number to make a search easier?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With pleasure- stay tuned
This is a GREAT value purchase.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

100% yes. It just screams IWC. Yet it cost well under $1,000.
It's huge.
Quality of the stainless steel case is just gorgeous.
Colours are stunning.
Hey- it's no IWC. But is one sweet beauty at a bargain price. It has huge presence.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: muttley and RicRoss

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No it's not really domed.
But it's quite the piece.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No it's not really domed.
But it's quite the piece.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.