WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a yearning for one of these but is afraid to pull the trigger unless it is good condition and running well. Does it pay to buy new or is it safe to buy used? I am a pocket watch guy and take a lot of flyers but his wife is not thrilled with his affliction to wrist watches. Are there issues with these watches or are they reliable?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Buy the seller, not the watch. And bear in mind that automatics need to be serviced every so often, so one that is more than a couple of years old may be in need of service before too long.

Now that I've given you the simple answers, hopefully someone with more expertise will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
5,682 Posts
If i recall correctly there are a few members with the Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto on this site. From what I've gathered the ETA 2834-2 movements are quite reliable and personally i think they are an excellent choice for a 'daily wearer' watch.

·
Super Moderator
15,309 Posts
Sorry - are we speaking of an affliction caused by watches, or his affection for watches? Infatuations should never be painful.

·
Super Moderator
4,432 Posts
I have 4 Hamilton Jazzmaster watches. All bought new between 2011 and 2017. Movements include ETA-2824-2, ETA 2895-2, Caliber H40, and Valjoux 7753. The ETA 2824-2 runs a little slow but all seem to be dependable. I do not have a daily wear watch so these watches are worn as they catch my eye in a rotation of over 100 watches. I keep many of my watches, including these 4, on winders so they are ready when I want to wear them. Except for the 2824-2 I don't generally have to adjust for more than a 5 minute time change. Usually fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts