WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Vintage Hamilton newbie here and loving every minute of it. I have recently procured the pictured Boulton and have a question with regards to the type of sub-second dial. You will note that the sub dial is of a rectangular design with every 10 seconds marked and is not sunk. The hand also extends backwards a little bit. I have never seen a Boulton with this style of sub second dial before (or find any on the internet) and was wondering if anybody can provide any history to this?

Was this dial a limited production version or was it always available but not as popular as the circular sunken style? Personally I love the style and think it compliments the shape of the case nicely. It also provides a contrast to my other Boulton which has the more common sub second dial. The condition of this watch is nice overall and I managed to get hold of it at a reasonable price - lovely to wear. Any help or information as to its heritage would be much appreciated,

Many Thanks,

Rich.

PS - apologies for the poor quality of the pictures, photography is not my forte!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After contacting a certain Hamilton expert in California (...) it appears that this is a 'Franken-Boulton' :eek:hmy:

Looking closely at the dial one can see it doesn't fit in the bezel correctly at all. Not to worry - this might turn out to be a nice restoration project if I can get hold of an original/refurbished Boulton dial (midnight blue if I can find one!) when the service is due.

·
Super Moderator
15,654 Posts
..... - this might turn out to be a nice restoration project if I can get hold of an original/refurbished Boulton dial (midnight blue if I can find one!) when the service is due.
Sounds like it's going to turn into an awesome daily wear watch! :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Definitely a frankenwatch; dial is not Boulton.

Can't really tell from the pix - but is the minute track rectangular? (Looks kinda barrel shaped in the pics but I figure this may be spherical aberration (distortion) from your camera).

All of the following (plus probably others that I don't have images of) have that overlapping minutes track / sub seconds dial so any of them could have been the dial donor:

Rectangular: Boone, Brock, Calvin, Gilman, Lowell, Nelson, Seneca/Sherwood Talbot, Wayne and a bunch of others no doubt.

Barrel: Alan, Bowman, Cameron, Carson, Donald, Dorsey or Richmond (though this is probably too small).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update - Post restoration photos

Hi guys,

After sending this mixed bag to my watchmaker it turned out that the watch has a 982M movement. So looks as though sometime in its life the solid gold case (which 982Ms were put in) was swapped for the gold filled Boulton case. Decided to donate the original dial to my watchmaker and he got hold of a nice original Boulton dial for me. Fully serviced pics (taken my watchmaker) attached - very please with the results and the 982M is a thing of beauty :biggrin:

Thanks again for your input,

All the best,

Rich.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Hey, I just came across this thread and had a serious case of deja-vu. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Hey, I just came across this thread and had a serious case of deja-vu. :laugh:
LOL, me too! Though, it could be argued that the only thing worse than saving 1 Boulton would be saving 2. :wink: Frankly, knowing that the various versions of the Boulton were the best selling and longest-running Hamilton mechanical watches OF ALL TIME always annoys me a bit... especially knowing that some of their TRULY great and original contributions to the watch market sold comparitively terrible... which makes their prices out of this world today. (At least your saved example has a nice 982 inside... as the Boulton could contain a few different movements.) That said, I do kinda like them in platinum.

Getting coat... :lol:

PS: I must admit, I am a full member of the Boulton Haters Club! (A takeoff of Our Gang's Woman Haters Club.) :sneaky2:

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Hey - I'm a Boulton hater as well - but we can't rain on Richard's parade!

He'll soon enough see the error of his ways and move onto the collectible models....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha - I apologise gents! Stales is correct - please be assured that my Boultons have now been greatly outnumbered by a variety of models which are less likely to cause faux pas :001_tongue:

Maybe I should paint their dials bright blue and sell them on an auction site for $300? :lol:

R.

·
Super Moderator
15,654 Posts
Careful there, Skippy! Not all of us hate The Boulton!!! (
)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts