WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Do you prefer to buy from a Hamilton AD or not?

• Yes, bricks-and-mortar AD

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Yes, Hamilton AD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Combination since I shop for the lowest price

Votes: 10 76.9%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I started out with the best of intentions to buy from AD's.

On January 1, 2008 I ran across a deal for a Khaki SWAT at BJ's and bit on it.

My next purchase was to be from an online AD and that watch ended up being back-ordered until April so I canceled. I felt badly and the vendor admitted that they were very sorry I had to wait so long.

My Ventura was ordered from a different online AD because they had the item in stock AND they price-matched the lowest price I could find online even though it was a non-AD that advertised the lowest price.

While I wasn't really shopping, I ran across a Khaki auto on that auction site and low-balled a bid. . . and I won it! Nice watch but not from an AD.

My experience with the previous vendor who seems to have a large stock of new, old stock is such that I am awaiting word on another Hammie bid. Fingers crossed.

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
I prefer to go the Brick and Mortar route whenever possible.
Luckily there is no shortage of them in my area.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I shop for the best pricing regarless of brand names AD or not AD the so called "gray" market dealers with good overall reputation has been the way to go for me :) including some Rolex purchases

·
Registered
431 Posts
A good deal is more important to me than an AD. Since I've said that let me clarify that to some degree. I always try to buy from a retailer that has a good reputation for backing the products they sell and they always include a warranty. I have at times had some problems doing this but if the savings are significant and many times they are it is well worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
This hobby can be so $$draining that I look for the "deal". I have no Hamilton AD within 100 miles. Quite a few of my watches are purchased from Sales Forums. WIS's take care of their watches and when they want to move a piece it is usually at a price I can live with.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I bought my Ventura and Men In Black II Digital from an AD a few years ago. I just bought my Khaki Field Mechanical Officers from OTV ([email protected]*#) which isn't an AD. Since they are priced reasonably in the first place and I could save a lot of money on them, I have no problem not buying from an AD. One watch was $125 more at an AD. Considering the watch was only $675, that's a lot of money to save.

I wouldn't buy a gray market Omega or Rolex though.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Closest AD is 2 miles away but I cannot seem to get any deals from them. Best they can do is 15% off list. Cannot understand why when I can get at least 25% off list on Breitling Tag or Omega in the same town.

Sorry AD, no choice but to go somewhere else for a better deal.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I checked a few local B&Ms, but nobody carried Hamilton. Also, I couldn't find the model I ordered at an on-line AD. (The 42mm Khaki field chrono with brown dial) I certainly would not rule out an AD for my next purchase, but I imagine price will be a factor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts