WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 987 movement with a bad staff. My skills haven't evolved to the point of replacing the staff.
I'm looking to buy a replacement balance so my question is whether or not the entire 987 series uses
the same balance or did the pivot and jewel size change over the 20 some years. I believe the 987F and 987E
had a change in jeweling but I don't know that the size was different.

If someone has successfully married a later balance to a 987 could they share their experience?

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
987 A & S interchangable, but not sure about with the 987, E and F.

Thanks. That was what i was hoping to hear.
I'm not sure they are all interchangeable. I see different numbers for the staffs in the 987a and 987s over the earlier models. Though they have the 987 number in them, the A and S are re-do's.

I don't even try the A or S on the earlier models, because the part numbers on the envelopes differ. You should be fine with the 987, 987 F and E. The major change in those are "better train jewels" from the 987 and 987 F. The E has a different hairspring made of Elvinar. The 987 A & S use a Elvinar Super or Elvinar Extra.

The technique for changing them is the same, depending on your tools. Just take some care on this. Also, if you haven't changed staffs before, make sure you have the right tools. I use a staking set instead of a block. That may be an overkill, but older parts are so difficult to find.

Tom Adelstein

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.