WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may seem like an odd question, but with all of the recoil is it safe to wear an automatic watch during range sessions?.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
No.

most automatic watches are designed to take gentle knocks, like when you carefully lay your watch down on a flat, dry, non-slip surface after taking it off. Guns will irrepairably damage your watch.

the best thing you can do is sell all of your guns and then convince all of your friends to sell them as well. In fact, buy some automatic watches for your friends.

think of the money they'll save not having to bother buying extra ammo, or hiring the range or getting that new scope or 1911a1.

they'll thank you in the end.

trust me......

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I would hate to guess how many rounds of 12 gauge I have fired while wearing a 1967 Bulova Automatic and quite a few while wearing a Rolex.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
As with golf and operating a jackhammer, take them off.
While this might be good advice with a jackhammer, it's not necessarily applicable to either shooting or golf if you wear your wrist watch on the wrist opposite your strong hand.

Shooting: My right hand is my strong hand, and my left supports/stabilizes the gun. Consequently, most of the recoil generated by the firearm is absorbed by my right hand/arm. I wear my watch on my left wrist, so my watch experiences very little shock associated with recoil.

Golf: The same applies here: My left hand does little else than stabilize and control my club head during my swing (and apparently does a crappy job of it judging by my scores...). What little vibration is generated by the club head impact is mostly felt by my right hand and of no danger to my watch....several pros wear watches while they golf - including Rolex ambassador Phil Mickelson.

I'm not aware of any serious research into this topic, but I tend to think your watch would be fine even if you wore it on your strong arm during these activities. But certainly you'd be fine if you, like me, wear your watch on the wrist opposite your strong arm.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
No.

most automatic watches are designed to take gentle knocks, like when you carefully lay your watch down on a flat, dry, non-slip surface after taking it off. Guns will irrepairably damage your watch.

the best thing you can do is sell all of your guns and then convince all of your friends to sell them as well. In fact, buy some automatic watches for your friends.

think of the money they'll save not having to bother buying extra ammo, or hiring the range or getting that new scope or 1911a1.

they'll thank you in the end.

trust me......

Good idea, if the op and any of his friends get assaulted they can just throw a watch at the assailant:001_rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Good idea, if the op and any of his friends get assaulted they can just throw a watch at the assailant:001_rolleyes:
which is what the perp was after anyway. So everybody wins!!

Reactions: Davemcc

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Many automatic watches are rated for, what, 5000 G? You ain't making that much recoil.

Golf: The same applies here: My left hand does little else than stabilize and control my club head during my swing (and apparently does a crappy job of it judging by my scores...). What little vibration is generated by the club head impact is mostly felt by my right hand and of no danger to my watch....
this would be why your score is so high. If you are right handed, your left hand should totally control the club, at best your right is along for the ride. Practice hitting balls with your left hand only!

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
UH, what if I want to keep my watches ?
You're a WIS, you have plenty of watches.

and given you don't have any guns you'll have plenty of money to buy more!!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I took my dad to the shooting range the other day and I am happy to report that when we left a few hundred rounds later both our watches were still running...I was wearing my Rolex automatic and my dad was wearing his new Seiko quartz ............:001_smile:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I wear mine all the time while shooting...and we're talking thousands of round from high powered rifles, hand guns (.44 mag hunting loads), and 12 gauge shotguns.

I'm more worried when I go hunting that I'll fall and damage my watch in the rocks or in the rare but sometimes event an injured hog decides he's not done. This unfortuantely has happend more than once, i can only imagine how crazy it must be in Hawaii where it's leagl to hunt hogs with a knife! :scared:

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Many automatic watches are rated for, what, 5000 G? You ain't making that much recoil.

this would be why your score is so high. If you are right handed, your left hand should totally control the club, at best your right is along for the ride. Practice hitting balls with your left hand only!
Actually I should have clarified that I golf lefty. :blushing:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
As to the original question, really the G-forces from recoil on most rifles & pistols is very low by the time it gets to the watch. Your wrist is actually moving very little. I personally think hitting the watch square on a wall or door frame exerts far more G's than shooting.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
during baseball practice one time I hit over 100 baseballs from the machine with a wood bat (don't know if that makes a difference or not) for the kids...my watch was fine but my shoulder and elbow was killing me the next day

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
When I went to the shooting range... before getting out of the car, I'd lock my good watch in the glovebox and strap on a cheapo quartz for banging around at the shooting bench. When I was done I'd put the guns in the car, put the good watch back on, then go on into the store to browse around.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts