WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I promised this one a month or so back to Valtyr - now I am finally in a position to post it.

A 1950s Gruen with power reserve. Listed as Strap 966 in Shawkey's guide - Calibre 550RI, sorry no movement shot, the case back has me defeated so far. But its running beautifully, its really fun to watch the power reserve wind up over the course of the morning. Patinated dial is quite OK, and I won't try to interfere with it. It wears large on the wrist, no doubt due to those lugs.

It joins my other 'complicated' Gruens - an alarm and a calendar.

Anyway, enough talking - now some photos...

Movement is a 550RI, derived from a Felsa 1566 - you can see it here on Roland's site.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I see you are at 32 hours in the photos, what does it top out at? Very nice watch!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see you are at 32 hours in the photos, what does it top out at? Very nice watch!
Thanks.

It tops out at a heady 44 hrs. It seems to drop pretty much 8hrs over night, so I am thinking the mainspring is still pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
... the case back has me defeated so far...
When I hear that, the first thing I think of is; Could it possibly be an Out-the-Front movement?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I found one of these in YG on ebay, it looks like a Schild movement. Nothing really worth opening for if it isn't easy.

The watch itself are more than I could ever want!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A picture of the back might clear up the mystery. Joel
It does come out the back - but I don't have the right wrench, and my multi-fit tool slips. Thanks for the suggestion though. As Valtyr comments below, I'm not really trying that hard :001_tongue:

I found one of these in YG on ebay, it looks like a Schild movement. Nothing really worth opening for if it isn't easy.

The watch itself are more than I could ever want!
Is this the one currently listed on the 'bay? Very nice dial, but I like my case a bit more.

Anyway, the Movement is a 550RI, derived from a Felsa 1566 - as per the original post.

I've been wearing it for a week now, bang on time and very nice on the wrist :thumbup1:

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Nice addition Kris! :thumbup1: There's at least one other style of Benrus power reserve - it has a meter on the bottom half of the dial with a hand coming from the pinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts