WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
OH Boy....

Somebody has been up to no good:lol::lol:

The collection is growing nicely Mr. Jeff!

The Jolly was my first of many Illinois to come
and has such an iconic design.

Now you are hooked my friend... surrender all hope
ye who have entered:laugh:

Super collection, congrats bro!:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its been my grail for longer than I've admitted. I'm so happy to have one.

All you have to do is ask Fred, and he'll do everything he can for you.

We're all very lucky to have him here. Thanks again Fred, Rick, and Greg. You guys are great!

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
CONGRATS! The TT Marquis is a beauty. We need to find you a better crown for the JR. Once you re-fill the engraved bezels on the JR and Marquis they will REALLY pop!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can't remember deciding I like four watches so fast. Great haul.

Reactions: Valtyr

·
Registered
192 Posts
CONGRATS! The TT Marquis is a beauty. We need to find you a better crown for the JR. Once you re-fill the engraved bezels on the JR and Marquis they will REALLY pop!!

Rick

Completely agree on the crown but the dial looks better then when it left my hands. Maybe it was the special handling from FedEx???

I sent a friend a ton of Ilinois parts a few months ago I will see if he has a better crown.

This is a great Illinois starter kit.

Enjoy

FJF

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The reason why the dial looks so nice is because the crystal doesn't stay on... So I just took it off. Maybe Jesse will fix it for me when he isn't so busy...?

Let me know if you happen to come across a more appropriate crown Fred! :cool1:

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
BTW, I should have mentioned your Beau Monde also. Just about every Beau Monde I have ever seen looks nice, but your watch appears near mint. It seems to me this model might have worn consistently better than just about any other.

You are not the first to count a Jolly Roger as his grail. The bezel on your example looks nicer than typical, I don't see the severe corner wear that many have. It will REALLY pop if you fill-in the bezel with soft black enamel.

I remain on the lookout for another dial for your Marquis... though your dial might clean-up suprisingly well. That case is TERRIFIC with great lugs, it deserves a clean dial. :thumbup1:

The dial on your New Yorker is a nice one. If your crystal is scratched, you should be able to locate another rather easily.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
The reason why the dial looks so nice is because the crystal doesn't stay on... So I just took it off. Maybe Jesse will fix it for me when he isn't so busy...?

Let me know if you happen to come across a more appropriate crown Fred! :cool1:
I have a stash of about 20 old boxes of crown assortments... I will try to locate a 307 with a stem and without a crown so I can make sure to send you one that will work. (Only recently I FINALLY bought an old watchmaker's stem and crown guage, so this should also help.) Or if I have to, I'll take a JR apart to make sure I send one that fits! Fred is away from his parts bin, hopefully I can locate one for you before he returns. :001_smile: It should be a relatively simple fix.

As far as the crystal staying on, I'm CERTAIN that you can be taught to do this yourself. (You'll save a few $ while gaining a sense of accomplishment! This skill will also help you do your own enameling for engraved cases.) It is really rather simple... all you need is typically some fine-grit sandpaper and crystal glue. (NEVER super glue!!!!) Most importantly, you'll save the time of sending it off for repair... at least if you break as many glass crystals as I do. (I don't like the look of the plastic crystals.) Here is the GS crystal glue I use: http://www.esslinger.com/g-scrystalglue.aspx You can also get it on eBay.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll get crystal glue then!

Thank you for your help Rick!

The Beau Monde is 100% perfect, 100% original and is without a doubt the nicest watch in my collection. I've only wore it twice and keep it protected every day. I love it!

The JR is in near perfect condition, a scuff here or there on the dial and the case is better than I would have expected. When I get crystal glue I'll be able to be a boss at making it wearable :biggrin:

The New Yorker is the only Illinois I've ever found on my own. I got it in a lot that came with some other nice watches, but this was the only one I cared about. It does not work and the dial is pretty messy. Good enough to be original and I bet it'll clean up alright. I just wish it had engravings, after seeing Greg's, my NY'er is such a simpleton.

As for the TT Marquis, I'm surprised with this one too. The case is perfect, I took it apart to see if the numbers matched, but I didn't know what I was looking for. The watch also isn't working, but the back of the case (if nothing else) is perfect near the lugs (as you mentioned) and its a great piece. The numbers are incredibly clean for whatever reason and the dial looks dirty not damaged.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'll get crystal glue then!

Thank you for your help Rick!

The Beau Monde is 100% perfect, 100% original and is without a doubt the nicest watch in my collection. I've only wore it twice and keep it protected every day. I love it!

The JR is in near perfect condition, a scuff here or there on the dial and the case is better than I would have expected. When I get crystal glue I'll be able to be a boss at making it wearable :biggrin:

The New Yorker is the only Illinois I've ever found on my own. I got it in a lot that came with some other nice watches, but this was the only one I cared about. It does not work and the dial is pretty messy. Good enough to be original and I bet it'll clean up alright. I just wish it had engravings, after seeing Greg's, my NY'er is such a simpleton.

As for the TT Marquis, I'm surprised with this one too. The case is perfect, I took it apart to see if the numbers matched, but I didn't know what I was looking for. The watch also isn't working, but the back of the case (if nothing else) is perfect near the lugs (as you mentioned) and its a great piece. The numbers are incredibly clean for whatever reason and the dial looks dirty not damaged.

Hi Valtyr

On the Illinois wristwatches inside the case back there are usually engraved case serial numbers, eg., 123456; then the center section of the case that holds the movement has usually four numbers these four numbers should match the last four numbers on the inside case back, eg., 3456. Then inside the bezel there are usually four roman numerals ( sometimes they are difficult to locate and read accurately) scratched in that should correspond to the last four numbers on the inside case back and the numbers on the center section of the case, eg., III, IV, V, VI in this example. This is also explained in my book . It is very important to check these numbers with respect to two tone cases.

I will be glad to help anyone interested in collecting Illinois wristwatches be it with information or with respect to acquiring the actual watches. Please just ask me.

Thanks
FJF
F

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Somebody's been busy! That's a nice little collection of Illinois watches!

Illinois watches are cool, not just the WWs, but the PWs, too. I wish I'd kept my 23j Sangamo. It was one of the 'Getty Model' movements, with hidden crown wheel and that 'bat wing' click.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Rick

Completely agree on the crown but the dial looks better then when it left my hands. Maybe it was the special handling from FedEx???

I sent a friend a ton of Ilinois parts a few months ago I will see if he has a better crown.

This is a great Illinois starter kit.

Enjoy

FJF
LOL, perhaps FedEx has hired a few elves to work on watches in transit? :biggrin: Starter Kit? It took me MUCH longer to locate lesser examples. :thumbup: The next time you have an extra ton of Illinois parts... I'm a friend. :lol:

·
Registered
192 Posts
That is cool Fred... I understand you have access to some real beauties!:thumbup1:
Yes Greg that is true I have been at this for decades and have a ton of contacts for Illinois items.
As I said people should feel free to please just ask me anytime. I am quite confident that I can find almost anything anyone seeks.

Above Rick mentioned the durability of the Beau Monde case. I agree it seems that the Beau Mondes and Consuls were two of the more durable of the Illinois cases, some of the others were fairly susceptible to case wear. The durability of the cases of each model of Illinois wristwatch is also covered in my book.

Thanks again
FJF

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hey Jeff .....boy if my eyes weren't already green .....they'd surely turn it after getting a look at those 4 killer watches ........like you, I have become a huge fan of the Illinois watch ...only I haven't been able to do anything about it yet .....

They are simply splendid.......

and I really had to laugh ....I remember when you showed your collection the first time ( or nearly the first time anyway) ....lots of newer watches .......and as time went on ......that collection got older and older ......

sucked you in huh ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey Jeff .....boy if my eyes weren't already green .....they'd surely turn it after getting a look at those 4 killer watches ........like you, I have become a huge fan of the Illinois watch ...only I haven't been able to do anything about it yet .....

They are simply splendid.......

and I really had to laugh ....I remember when you showed your collection the first time ( or nearly the first time anyway) ....lots of newer watches .......and as time went on ......that collection got older and older ......

sucked you in huh ?

Salleh

Wen you are ready to finally pull the Illinois trigger please let me know and I will be glad to help you.

Thanks
FJF

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Sal,

I'm happy you had a chance to come by and enjoy.

If you want Illinois, you know you've got the best company in this thread. More knowledge, acquisition power, and friendliness than any other source in the world.

Funny how vintage changed my views around... I want items, made in america, no where else. I guess we can all yearn for quality again. :001_wub:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've been trying really hard not to look too close at these beauties. Unfortunately I lingered a little too long and fell in love with a Beau. Are they hard to find? I guess I will find out. Thanks, Jeff. I'll see if I can't repay the favor with a few Walthams or Bulovas. Joel

1 - 20 of 30 Posts