WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum has triggered a whole new outlook on watches for me. I'll reserve thanks till I figure out how light my wallet is gonna get after rolling through here. I stumbled in here in a quest to find a new watch. My current piece, a Tag, that has hardly been off my wrist for the past 18 years is in need of some serious repair and attention. Needs new gaskets, crystal, bracelet, crown, bezel.

The plan is to acquire a new piece for daily use. Then retire the Tag after the restoration has been completed. I will also be in possession of a 40 year old Omega is pristine condition to act as the foundation of a new collectors pieces. I have discovered an abundance of smaller less popular makers that have a great appeal. The replacement for the Tag looks like it will be the Limes Neptun 2, though I do have some concerns which I'll address in a moment. The balance of this year will see the addition of the Laco Absolute and an Archimede Outdoor. As my knowledge base grows, then I will expand into older pieces.

Now for my concerns. It appears Limes does not have much of a retailer network and they promote direct order from the factory. I am not concerned about funds transfer or integrity, but I am concerned about "feeling and seeing" the piece on my wrist before funds are dealt with. Furthermore, in the event of required service, maintenance and attention, what are the usual options and pitfalls in such a transaction?

Thanks in advance
Magoo

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
Greetings right back at you- welcome. If your thanks are contingent upon the earth's gravitational effects upon the mass of your wallet in the near future, well, maybe we should just skip to the meaty stuff! (And condolences on your TAG. :biggrin:

Limes, a German company (and pronounced LEE-mez) used to advertise regularly in WatchTime Magazine. IMO they deserve greater public awareness.

Not being able to 'try it before you buy it' is a concern for most online buyers. And I'll be the first to admit that I ain't got the answer!!! I try to avoid buying watches online unless I know I definitely 100% want it.
Therefore, I'll ask this of ALL our members...
WHAT DO YOU DO ABOUT A WATCH YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BUT CANNOT PERSONALLY EXAMINE?

As for taking care of it while under warranty, assuming you are in the USA, repair work is done at the Limes Service Center. That would be the Towson Watch Company in Towson, Maryland. After the warranty runs out, you decide whether to keep sending it there for cleaning and oiling jobs, or find a good watch repairman in your own town. Ask friends and relatives for recommendations.

The service center- has people who know your watch intimately. And know how to repair it properly (at least we hope they will). Service centers usually have LOTS of watches to fix so you may not see it again for 2 weeks or 3 months. There's also postage, safe packing, repair authorization numbers, and insurance to contend with.

The local guy- usually knows his stuff. Especially if he's been in business a few years. He will not be as busy as a professional service center so he will get to your watch quicker. You will not have to worry about mailing your watch to someone local...just drive there! His work may only have limited warranties (mine for instance, does not guarantee that replacement gaskets will be waterproof.But as I don't put my watches in water, this is not an issue for me).Finding one you trust could be tricky. Either get someone to point you towards a good watch shop, or find one by trial-and-error. If they advertise as being members of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, this helps a great deal!

Hopefully others will join in with their own advice and have tidbits I've overlooked. Best of Luck.

-Bill

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
Technically they're not. Never have been. But ever since Annie Hall, women have been adopting more and more items of menswear as their own. Watches are no exception. As styles and tastes change, women have found that they like wearing bigger watches. In fact, a while ago, member erelyx posted a series of photos of top fashion models doing just that. And I think a couple of pieces were over 41 mm!!!

Personally I could never understand how any woman could tell the time on an dress watch with a 6mm dial! Even my mom's Timex at 14 mm wasn't that easy to read. I was waiting for them to see the light and demand bigger watches. I just didn't think they'd be confiscating ours! Oh well.

So, a 41 mm ladies watch? It's basically a fashion thing IMO. Where it goes from here is anybody's guess.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
We have somebody here that can make your TAG like new: Jesse Hueg, member omega564. He's very reasonable and does excellent work.

How can a 41 MM watch face (insert "massive" here) be considered a "ladies watch?
It's not, and some companies even call a 37 mm watch a woman's version. I guess it's their idea of keeping up with the trend of hubcap / hockey puck sized wrist weights that also happen to tell the time.

Now, about buying without trying. Most of my purchases have been for my collection of vintage watches. That's more about filling a certain slot that was missing, as in a specific movement or series. Also, most vintage watches from the era & brands I seek are 32 - 37 mm which is right in my wheelhouse so I don't have to fret over size. For any modern piece I plan on wearing often, it's usually worn around the AD for a few minutes before making a final decision. Luckily I know my limits with different styles, lug lengths, and case shapes since I've flipped so many pieces and can usually tell what won't work from experience. I would ask the seller of the Limes if they have a no-hassle return policy for a short period in case it doesn't feel good on your wrist.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I live in Alaska where being able to touch a sought after watch is tough. We have the usual department store brands, Citizen, Bulova, Tissot, etc. Other jewelry shops carry Tag, Rolex and a few others, very mainstream stuff. My habit has taken me beyond the dept. stores and I can't afford the jewelry shops. I solve the dilemma by finding watches on line, then taking a few weeks to decide if it is something I just have to have. So far, no let downs. Often the watches are even better than expected. All of my on line purchases have been brand new watches from AD's. I have not yet puchased previously owned from E-bay. For maintenance there is one qualified jeweler in Anchorage. Fortunately he does great work and loves to talk watches any time. He has done a phenominal job on a recently acquired 1952 Longines barlow. (This along with a 65 accutron 214 were found locally while shopping for other things.) Yes, I'll post the pics when it is all finished!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
We have somebody here that can make your TAG like new: Jesse Hueg, member omega564. He's very reasonable and does excellent work.

It's not, and some companies even call a 37 mm watch a woman's version. I guess it's their idea of keeping up with the trend of hubcap / hockey puck sized wrist weights that also happen to tell the time.
Thanks for that!! The famous boxing day sales, I stopped in at a jewellers and spotted a new Tag I liked but the manager was reluctant to meet the price I wanted to pay so I walked out. He chased me down the mall hallway and met my price. I acquired the Tag Formula 1 (41 mm) chrono at a 45% discount including taxes. This piece I thought top be simple and elegant and unique. Getting home, I looked at Tag's web page and see this thing listed as a woman's watch (the polished steel, black ceramic model) and just about dropped pickles. Regardless, I'm pleased and that's all that matters.

This is the puppy
http://www.tagheuer.com/int-en/home...dceramicchronogra-productsheet-cah1210-ba0862

Now to restore the old one and carry on with the plan.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
I went and looked at the F-1. Besides polished steel and the ad wording- the only thing I can see that's lady-like is that the edges are more rounded than their other models. And I think 1 guy in 5,000 is gonna notice that!
Yikes, what a great looking watch!!! I'd wear one in a heartbeat. :001_tt1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts