WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following this Forum for a month or so and am delighted to join you all at last. Up until a few months ago I was the happy owner of an Omega Seamaster bought fourteen years ago. It was a nice watch with a silver bezel and blue face and the signature helium release valve. It had loads of sentimental value too which I won't go into here! Sadly the watch was lost but I was fortunate enough to have most of it's replacement value covered by insurance. However, it transpires that Omega are discontinuing Quartz movements - the net effect of which is that in the UK the cheapest Omega watches are now in excess of £2,000. (Whereas the quartz models retailed at about £1,500). The effect of all this was to make me reconsider what I actually wanted from a watch before committing to an exact replacement (There are a few quartz Omega versions still in shops, but it irks a little to be asked top dollar for something that is on the way out...). And so I determined that what I wanted was great daytime and nighttime visibility, something reasonably stylish but not too flashy and that can be worn for business and pleasure equally. I don't dive anymore either. I do work in different time zones so a GMT type facility would be useful. An automatic movement would also be a bonus if I could have that too for under £1,500. Finally, I felt that it would be great to have something on my wrist that is a little different to the usual UK high-street chain brands (Omega, Breitling, Oris etc - The UK is swamped with them). A relation showed me his Lumix watch - and that made me realise that visibility really was the most useful feature a watch could give me, in addition to the obvious time-telling!

And so after much research, my choice was - Ball Engineer Master II Aviator GMT

Now, the story took a slight twist in that the watch was sourced through the insurers and I ordered a black face with Steel Bracelet. What arrived was a brown face on a leather strap! Oh dear... after waiting six weeks for delivery that was a little disappointing. But... after a couple of days looking at the brown watch, it really grew on me and the leather strap does actually go very well with the watch design. So I am keeping the watch but have ordered a steel bracelet for a time in the future when I might want to switch from leather.

I think this is a fantastic watch that meets my spec. perfectly, superb design and nicely proportioned - strangely the photos I see of it don't do it justice - in the flesh it is a terrific looking watch (my wife thinks so too) and of course at night it has now become my bedside clock with its terrific lume!

I hope to post some pics soon. Best Wishes.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've been following this Forum for a month or so and am delighted to join you all at last. Up until a few months ago I was the happy owner of an Omega Seamaster bought fourteen years ago. It was a nice watch with a silver bezel and blue face and the signature helium release valve. It had loads of sentimental value too which I won't go into here! Sadly the watch was lost but I was fortunate enough to have most of it's replacement value covered by insurance. However, it transpires that Omega are discontinuing Quartz movements - the net effect of which is that in the UK the cheapest Omega watches are now in excess of £2,000. (Whereas the quartz models retailed at about £1,500). The effect of all this was to make me reconsider what I actually wanted from a watch before committing to an exact replacement (There are a few quartz Omega versions still in shops, but it irks a little to be asked top dollar for something that is on the way out...). And so I determined that what I wanted was great daytime and nighttime visibility, something reasonably stylish but not too flashy and that can be worn for business and pleasure equally. I don't dive anymore either. I do work in different time zones so a GMT type facility would be useful. An automatic movement would also be a bonus if I could have that too for under £1,500. Finally, I felt that it would be great to have something on my wrist that is a little different to the usual UK high-street chain brands (Omega, Breitling, Oris etc - The UK is swamped with them). A relation showed me his Lumix watch - and that made me realise that visibility really was the most useful feature a watch could give me, in addition to the obvious time-telling!

And so after much research, my choice was - Ball Engineer Master II Aviator GMT

Now, the story took a slight twist in that the watch was sourced through the insurers and I ordered a black face with Steel Bracelet. What arrived was a brown face on a leather strap! Oh dear... after waiting six weeks for delivery that was a little disappointing. But... after a couple of days looking at the brown watch, it really grew on me and the leather strap does actually go very well with the watch design. So I am keeping the watch but have ordered a steel bracelet for a time in the future when I might want to switch from leather.

I think this is a fantastic watch that meets my spec. perfectly, superb design and nicely proportioned - strangely the photos I see of it don't do it justice - in the flesh it is a terrific looking watch (my wife thinks so too) and of course at night it has now become my bedside clock with its terrific lume!

I hope to post some pics soon. Best Wishes.:thumbup1:
Congrats and welcome! I have the Aviator Dual Time and LOVE it. It is my favorite of 4:cool1:
Mike

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Sad to hear you lost your much loved Omega, but it looks like you've replaced it with something that will serve you well for years to come :thumbup1:.
And welcome to WTF - always great when lurkers turn into members.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.