WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have the prices been on eBay for the Grant model? Particularly for AGN dials. Did they ever make any solid gold Grants?

Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess it wouldn't matter so much the dial as the 10k or 14k models. Or the silver models.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Unless you get very lucky, I think a nice sterling silver Grant is going to cost you at least $500, maybe $800 if it has a nice dial. I think I paid $600 or $700 for mine -- this is a mediocre photo, but I think it's likely far nicer than most. A nice one sold on eBay a year or 2 ago as a BIN for $450, but it went fast... and I missed it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless you get very lucky, I think a nice sterling silver Grant is going to cost you at least $500. I think I paid $600 or $700 for mine -- this is a mediocre photo, but I think it's likely far nicer than most. A nice one sold on eBay a year or 2 ago as a BIN for $450, but it went fast... and I missed it.
Thanks. Do you have any data on the gold models?

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
For this 1930s model there was no solid gold production. They did come in gold filled, and they sell for less. Tom likely has the data. BTW, I forget, did they come out with another solid gold model in the 50s also named the Grant? Perhaps... they did did with the Drake, I know, and others. (I don't really pay much attention to most of the 1950s watches... as to me most of them were a lot like 1980s cars... and they all look alike.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For this 1930s model there was no solid gold production. They did come in gold filled, and they sell for less. Tom likely has the data. BTW, I forget, did they come out with another solid gold model in the 50s also named the Grant? Perhaps... they did did with the Drake, I know, and others. (I don't really pay much attention to most of the 1950s watches... as to me most of them were a lot like 1980s cars... and they all look alike.)
I know they came out with a Grant in the 1950's but don't know anything about it. I agree with you about the later watches and keep my collection to pre 1950. Maybe Tom can ring in on the prices.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
I know they came out with a Grant in the 1950's but don't know anything about it. I agree with you about the later watches and keep my collection to pre 1950. Maybe Tom can ring in on the prices.
I should add that for me the exception to this is the asymmetricals. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
The 50's Grant has a lot going for it. It has a cool textured dial and keeps the general shape of the original. I would very much like to have one someday.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
The 50's Grant has a lot going for it. It has a cool textured dial and keeps the general shape of the original. I would very much like to have one someday.

You are right Dave, I had forgotten about the nice dial on the later Grant. From looking for (and at) the 2 Hamilton catalogs the later Grant appeared in, it's really no wonder that they seem to be fairly rare today, as it was likely a very poor seller. Frankly, it is impossible to see, let alone appreciate, its dial from these catalogs. (I presume that 1957-58 was a fun/crazy/hectic time for Hamilton since their Electrics were becoming all the rage, so they were likely a bit distracted.) I have attached the 2 catalog pages of the later Grant. (THANKS Tom!) Perhaps someone has a real example in the flesh they can show and tell about?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
What have the prices been on eBay for the Grant model? Particularly for AGN dials. Did they ever make any solid gold Grants?

Thanks

$245 for 10K ygf
Last 10 prices: $255 $390 $194 $171 $246 $331 $203 $295 $256 $153

$305 & $750 for 14K ygf

Sterling silver: $525 $515 $443 $576 $700 $750 $566 $675 $502 $450

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Only took one try!

Actually, I'd never noticed that...I guess I am just not OCD enough!
LOL, no not you! :wink: If you really didn't do this on purpose, you should buy lottery tickets. (Though I guess there were 4 different spots around the dial that would have worked... but the odds were still against it happening by accident. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
$245 for 10K ygf
Last 10 prices: $255 $390 $194 $171 $246 $331 $203 $295 $256 $153
You can add $100 to your list for this 10K ygf example that I skimmed off the 'Bay in December.

It's a nice one with the textured dial, which is not nearly as dirty as shows in the picture.

Take care,
gatorcpa

1 - 20 of 24 Posts