WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Canon on hand today, and a beautiful Spring day down here, so here we go....

Happy weekend all!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Grand Seiko

That is an awesome watch, just what one would expect of a Grand Seiko. If only they were more affordable...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Awesome!!!

Hey MD!!! WOW!!!

That is an incredible looking watch. Congrats and enjoy!!!:thumbup1:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe. But it's a little small for my wrist. I guess I should look at it as a consolation for not buying one. :crying:
I hear ya, but on the other side. I tend to think the 40mm's work best for me. Though it seemed big at the time, I have been getting comfortable wearing a 45. I'm not sure I could go for anything bigger.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I hear ya, but on the other side. I tend to think the 40mm's work best for me. Though it seemed big at the time, I have been getting comfortable wearing a 45. I'm not sure I could go for anything bigger.
44-45 would be perfect for me. At 41mm, it's a little small (I tried one on a month or so ago)

But I still want one!! :lol:

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How big are your wrists?

44-45 would be perfect for me. At 41mm, it's a little small (I tried one on a month or so ago)

But I still want one!! :lol:

At 41mm at think this model is "Contemporary" enough in terms of size. The classic "dress" design doesn't lend well for a bigger case diameter. I think this watch would look a little cartoonish if it was offered in a 45mm case.

If you size preference gravitates towards 43mm+ case sizes, then the GS "sport" models (Spring Drive GMT, 200m Diver and Chronograph GMT) would probably be a best for you.

I also own the SBGE001 GMT (44m case) and the SBGC001 GMT Chrono (43.5mm case) and also enjoy their presence on the wrist. At 41mm the Snowflake works quite well, too but be sure you are in "love" sort of speak with the classic dress design and size before signing off for one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have the "old" Spring Drive chrono, which is 45mm, I think. Yes, 45mm might be too large. But I have large wrists and large hands. I tried on that limited green SD diver last week and was surprised at how small the dial was.

For me, personally, the Snowflake would be perfect if it was just a little bigger. I'll probably pull the trigger anyway, but when I tried it on, I remember feeling vaguely disappointed at the size.

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the "old" Spring Drive chrono, which is 45mm, I think. Yes, 45mm might be too large. But I have large wrists and large hands. I tried on that limited green SD diver last week and was surprised at how small the dial was.

For me, personally, the Snowflake would be perfect if it was just a little bigger. I'll probably pull the trigger anyway, but when I tried it on, I remember feeling vaguely disappointed at the size.
I think that feeling may have also been compounded by the lightweight titanium construction. Remember the Snowflake, even with no bracelet links removed, is still under 100g!

Try out the similarly styled steel models (SBGA001/SBGA003) and see how you feel about them when on the wrist. Case dimensions are exactly the same, but given the steel construction, they each tip the scales at around 150g.

Before my Grand Seikos I was heavily into the Seiko Anantas which are gargantuan in size compared even to the larger sport GS models. I had the Ananta SD GMT (SNR019) and the SD GMT Chronograph (SPS007). These watches had a 46mm + case, at least 15mm+ thick, 24mm bracelet lugs and were pure chunks of steel tipping the scales at nearly 250g! (Half a pound of steel hanging from your wrist).

If you are a really large/tall guy (8+ inch wrist) the Anantas may actually work better for you.

Like I said, the Snowflake is a beautiful watch and the style is classic and very understated. At 41mm, it fits nicely over my 6.75 inch wrists but it may not be the best fit for someone with a meatier wrist.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have an SPS003, although my heaviest watches are my Lum-Tec tungsten carbide watches with the tungsten bracelets. They weigh something like 50% more than the SD. :w00t::w00t:

I do have a few 40mm & 41mm watches. I've only had a chance to handle the Snowflake once, but it's not TOO small or light. I would just rather it be more like 43mm or so. But I'm hoping my local AD gets another one in soon, so I can check it out again. Shouldn't really be dropping that much on a watch right now anyway.

Actually, I'm in NYC for the weekend. I know there's a GS dealer around 44th & 5th, as well as the big Tourneau store. Maybe I'll actually get to see one tomorrow...

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I have an SPS003, although my heaviest watches are my Lum-Tec tungsten carbide watches with the tungsten bracelets. They weigh something like 50% more than the SD. :w00t::w00t:

I do have a few 40mm & 41mm watches. I've only had a chance to handle the Snowflake once, but it's not TOO small or light. I would just rather it be more like 43mm or so. But I'm hoping my local AD gets another one in soon, so I can check it out again. Shouldn't really be dropping that much on a watch right now anyway.

Actually, I'm in NYC for the weekend. I know there's a GS dealer around 44th & 5th, as well as the big Tourneau store. Maybe I'll actually get to see one tomorrow...
Post some pictures of the GS while you are checking them out. :)

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

There are no authorized Grand Seiko dealers in NYC:

U.S.A. | Store Locator | Grand Seiko | SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION

Closest one to you would be in Fords, NJ.

Tourneau does not carry GS either and most of their employees have never seen one in person either. I know this fact very well.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts