WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....So , as some of you may remember, several months ago, I got my Gruen Curvex back, only to find they had put Guyren Veri-Thin on the dial .....arrgghhh....so I took it to Jerry about 2 weeks ago .....and he called yesterday and said it was back ! ....maybe setting a new record who now ?

anyway ....here's the results.....I think it's from about 1942 or so ? ....any help in identifying it would be greatly appreciated, as the Gruen data base is sketchy at best ......

so, whatcha think eh ?

and then a close up of the dial....

and then .......of course ...the movement ......

The oly real problem withy the case is this small crunchy on this back corner ....of course it has some small scratches , but you need a loupe to see them ...and the crystal is good too, ....

now I have heard that this tonneau style is.....dare I say it ? rare....most of the 440s are in straight sided cases.......any one agree/disagree with that ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
They must have caught up with their backlog, then. The guy doing a redial/rebuild for me on a 1939 Lemania 15TL Chronograph had the dial at ID for about 4 months (but that included 2 re-do's). The guy, BTW, is Jesse (omega 654 on WTF). He was as frustrated as I was.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cut foliage dries out .....and becomes prickliy and it hurts....I know others use the bubble wrap....but truth be told I do like the way it works with the light ....( or lack thereof ) .....Michigan is pretty much overcast 140% of the time during these winter months ....

now if it would just snow .....I'd be a happy camper.....

2 lousy little 2 inch falls so far this year.....sigh ....oh well....

maybe I'll spray paint some bubble wrap .....

I want something squishable that I can mold into different shapes to put the watches on so that I can aim them toward the light at the correct angle ....I have shot hundreds of watches by now ....and still haven't stumbled upon the background that I can use as a "signature" .....

maybe I'll make some small beanbags out of a non-lint-gathering fabric, but that will still hold the watchs....

*wanders off with head in clouds musing over the different fabrics ......*

Reactions: RJ007

·
Registered
65 Posts
....So , as some of you may remember, several months ago, I got my Gruen Curvex back, only to find they had put Guyren Veri-Thin on the dial .....arrgghhh....so I took it to Jerry about 2 weeks ago .....and he called yesterday and said it was back ! ....maybe setting a new record who now ?

anyway ....here's the results.....I think it's from about 1942 or so ? ....any help in identifying it would be greatly appreciated, as the Gruen data base is sketchy at best ......

now I have heard that this tonneau style is.....dare I say it ? rare....most of the 440s are in straight sided cases.......any one agree/disagree with that ?
Hi Salleh,

Your watch is the Curvex Commander, introduced in 1941. It was available in both yellow and pink gold-filled, but yellow is much more commonly seen. There were three other models (Collegian, Commodore, Adjutant) in this series, sharing the same basic body shape, but with different lug designs.

And you are right that most Curvexes were more rectangular, there were always a few tonneau designs in the line-up.

And Rob did a good job on the dial.

Cary

·
Registered
186 Posts
I want something squishable that I can mold into different shapes to put the watches on so that I can aim them toward the light at the correct angle ....I have shot hundreds of watches by now ....and still haven't stumbled upon the background that I can use as a "signature" .....
I don't recommend using a cat. Hard to get the angles right.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cut foliage dries out .....and becomes prickliy and it hurts....I know others use the bubble wrap....but truth be told I do like the way it works with the light ....( or lack thereof ) .....Michigan is pretty much overcast 140% of the time during these winter months ....

now if it would just snow .....I'd be a happy camper.....

2 lousy little 2 inch falls so far this year.....sigh ....oh well....

maybe I'll spray paint some bubble wrap .....

maybe I'll make some small beanbags out of a non-lint-gathering fabric, but that will still hold the watchs....

*wanders off with head in clouds musing over the different fabrics ......*

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
well, heh heh ....is my face red .....don't know how that happened ....a double post .....er sorry ....,.

and _Perri, Barney would tolerate a watch draped on him ...but Boris and Fionna ...not so much .....but you have a handsome kitteh there....is it a Russian Blue ? .....

and Cary ...hey thanks for the info .....I do dearly love to gather information about my babies ......and having it written down like this I remember it easier .....,stuff I hear mostly goes in one ear .....wanders around in my head and then wanders out again .......sometimes it leaves a marker ....nore often than not .....it's gone ....

When I had a Gruen Curvex Cadet, I found out what it was through the kind help of a fellow on ebay ...I saw that he often had Curvexes for auction and his watches were as we used to say in Hawaii ...."da kine" ....just lovely ...and I wrote him about mine ...and sweet man that he is ...he found out that mine was the Cadet from 1938 ...and that it looked orginal to him ...and that yes it was worth about 500 in the condition it was in .....

I sold it last summer for 500.....it really was a gorgeous watch .....I do love the 330 movements ....those long cases are so cool .....with the 440s one has to wonder ....Why bother ? .....the case is short enough not to really need a curved movement .....as is evidenced by countless perfectly fine curved cases by all the other watch companies, with movements that work just fine .....but I suppose that once you've got something like that movement ...it's hard to give it up .....

but they do seem to put their best looking dials on the Curvex models .......*ducks from brickbats thrown about THAT sweeping statement *

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Sally, when I wanted to get a picture of that Elgin Crusader with the black dial and faceted crystal, I ended up using a rolled up washcloth, so I could adjust the angle till it was JU-U-UST right.

It's like an artificial wrist, but without the rest of the arm.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been experimenting with hanging watches inside a white plastic bucket (which makes a pretty decent/dirt cheap photo box), but it's hard to keep them from twisting around at exactly the wrong moment. Rolled-up bubble wrap worked well, but I thought it looked goofy as a background. Besides, I kept wanting to pop the bubbles. Perhaps Play-Doh wrapped in plastic and then covered with a cloth? That ought to be easy to shape, although this is not exactly the best time of the year to venture into a toy store...

and _Perri, Barney would tolerate a watch draped on him ...but Boris and Fionna ...not so much .....but you have a handsome kitteh there....is it a Russian Blue ? .....
My watches are American, but my cats are French. I have five Chartreux; one is my retired show cat, and the other four are breed rescues. Only 8 verified Chartreux have needed rescue in the last five years (this is a rare breed), and 5 of them ended up with me! The cat in the photo is Molly, my latest rescue. Her fur is too long to be a good photography background, but she's the only one who doesn't try to eat the watches.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I've been experimenting with hanging watches inside a white plastic bucket (which makes a pretty decent/dirt cheap photo box), but it's hard to keep them from twisting around at exactly the wrong moment. Rolled-up bubble wrap worked well, but I thought it looked goofy as a background. Besides, I kept wanting to pop the bubbles. Perhaps Play-Doh wrapped in plastic and then covered with a cloth? That ought to be easy to shape, although this is not exactly the best time of the year to venture into a toy store...
Rolled-up washcloths, I tell ya! OR a washcloth rolled up inside a piece of neutral-colored fabric.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I don't recommend using a cat. Hard to get the angles right.
Cat... I gotta you, that is the funniest post I have seen in a LONG time!

I have this funny vision (From Tom and Jerry) of you standing over the cat with the watch, trying to keep
steady with the cat breathing and the watch moving... adjusting the lamp for the right light.

Ok kitty, hold steady... dooon't move... (Jerry the mouse runs by) rvoooom goes the cat!:lol:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Perri .....we have much in common.....I am a cat fiend .....have you ever been to the site ...."i can has cheezburger?" it is very funny ......

and I too have a weakness for popping bubble wrap bubbles .....( when no one is looking .....at my age , people tend to look at me strangely ,....,.,lucky for me ...I am used to that ....being looked at strangely that is !)

I once had 6 cats at once ....Jack, Jake, Sport, Stan, Ollie and George.....and 2 of them were one -eyed cats ...that's how Jack got his name ....what else can you call a one eyed cat .....you can't name a floofy white kitten Cyclops .....his full name was "The One-Eyed Jack Bandit Who Stole My Heart Away " ....

but I should not go down the kitty stories road .....I do tend to get a wee tad carried away ......cause all my cats have been characters....not just lay around sleep and eat kind of critters....

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh and Rick .....yum ...those are simply gorgeous .....( I really must get my Thesaurus out and start finding different words ....I feel I am repeating myself a lot ...gorgeous beautiful, handsome, lovely, .........so perhaps peachy, swell, outta sight .....might be creeping back into my vocabulary ) ...

but whatever words I pick .....those are a couple of superb watches ...and nice job on the dials ....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Latest dials from ID

Love this dial - the coral makes the AGN pop.

Ok kitty, hold steady... dooon't move... (Jerry the mouse runs by) rvoooom goes the cat!:lol:
This cat does not vroom. That would imply some sort of movement occurs. I think her mainspring is rusted.

I hadn't intended to use Molly as a watch display case, but I was switching watches and she was conveniently located...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts