WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got myself a new vintage Hamilton! Starts to "D" and ends with "rake"

Finally got that Hamilton today!
I believe it's a 1936 (or 1934, i can't recall off the top of my head) yellow gold plated Drake. With an enamel dial.
The case wasn't in as good as shape as I thought, you can see some wear on where the straps go, other then that all the gold still looks good, even on the back and lug it's still strong.
It's ticking like a beauty, currently it's sitting next to me and I can still hear it, it doesn't look slow or sticky at all. I have it about 5 turns and off it went! The second hand looks like it's doing fine and the minute hand is moving as it should

Here's the pictures I took so far, i've yet to open it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Looks pretty good to me! Put a little auto polish on a q-tip and that case will clean up fine. I'd be happy to have it show up in my mailbox.

Looks like the crystal is a little dark to me but it could be the lighting. You can get a new one for ~$10 and install it yourself (see the maintenance sticky if you haven't done it before).

Nice addition!:thumbup:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks pretty good to me! Put a little auto polish on a q-tip and that case will clean up fine. I'd be happy to have it show up in my mailbox.

Looks like the crystal is a little dark to me but it could be the lighting. You can get a new one for ~$10 and install it yourself (see the maintenance sticky if you haven't done it before).

Nice addition!:thumbup:
Hey, everything has a price, and for the right one you can have this very watch show up at your doorstep!
Jokes aside, the crystal does need to be replaced. I don't think it's dark (the face has browned some, it looks a bit dirty) but it does have a few scratches on it.
Does the gold wearing hurt it's value a lot? I've seen worse wear on other watched but I'm not sure it can be repaired

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Wear on gold filled cases cannot be repaired easily and it always flakes off according to Rene. That is the reason to find the best case possible because everything else is easily sourced and/or fixable. The Drake is prone to wear at the lugs, but good ones can be found.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
$15 + postage?

[just kidding]

I think the wear through on the corners of the crystal are very typical of watches of this ilk. I don't really see much that's a distraction. The back looks great to me.

I don't know what it does for value to be honest. I would have bid up to $100 if it's really running well - but I'm cheap. I sold a much worse Perry from the same era for like $150. Clean it up and put a new crystal in it and I think it's a keeper.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$15 + postage?

[just kidding]

I think the wear through on the corners of the crystal are very typical of watches of this ilk. I don't really see much that's a distraction. The back looks great to me.

I don't know what it does for value to be honest. I would have bid up to $100 if it's really running well - but I'm cheap. I sold a much worse Perry from the same era for like $150. Clean it up and put a new crystal in it and I think it's a keeper.
Well that's more then what I paid for it soooooooo
Nah! :001_tt2:

I bought it with the intent of flipping it for profit, but looking at it now I think i've fallen in love.
She's a little rough around the edges, but has a good strong heart that tick tick ticks like there's no tomorrow! All she needs is a nice polishing, maybe taken to the shop for a spa day and a new crystal. And a band of course!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hu? They load fine for me, try refreshing

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here, i'll reupload them

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I hope so, otherwise I've been lied it :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well the arrows were to point out the gold wear (one of the pictures you can see where they point)

I'm doing a time-keeping test. I've wound it 11 times and I'll see how it keeps time in 12 hrs

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Very nice, with the enamel dial, I would add it to my collection.

A little wear like that is fine and you never know, you may find one with a better case later. You could always swap your then serviced movement into the better case. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very nice, with the enamel dial, I would add it to my collection.

A little wear like that is fine and you never know, you may find one with a better case later. You could always swap your then serviced movement into the better case. :thumbup1:
Thanks! :thumbup1:
Still waiting for the time-keeping test to be done, but she's a strong ticker and has so far kept good time!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, reuploaded to photobucket

Also the 12 hour time-keeping test is done!
The results are a little odd, it seems she's running fast.
I set her to 9 at 9 PM, at 9 AM this morning she was at 9:30, she's still ticking along too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts