WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to wander through a couple of antique stores today, and I really lucked out. I found a pair of nice watches... CHEAP! $25 for a 17J Atlantic, and best of all $35 for a Croton (Nevada) "Chronomaster Aviator SeaDiver"!!! :thumbup:
They were buried amongst several Timex, and misc quartz stuff, and were filthy. I nabbed both once I discovered they worked. An hour or so of cleaning & a couple of new straps later I had two new watches in my stable! The bezel is missing on the Croton, strangely I only have one other Croton, a "cricket" style alarm, and it's missing it's bezel too... I wonder if this is a Croton issue, or if it's just coincidence.
I've been looking for a nice sixties vintage chrono for quite a while... never thought I'd pick it up like this! I love the look of this guy, does anyone here have any ideas on where I could find bezels for my Crotons?

...I apologize for the pic quality, these are my first attempts at posting my own pics, and they are from my phone, so here goes nothing!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Tsk!...well, it certainly took you long enough!!! :lol:

Very good first photo shoot. I especially like that movement shot.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Great pickups, congrats.
Sometime one can really get some good deals out there. I keep looking for that hidden Patek...LOL

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Pretty impressive finds. The watches I have found at antique stores have been WAY over priced. Those look good and congrats on the pictures. No stopping you now !

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I found a pair of nice watches... CHEAP! $25 for a 17J Atlantic, and best of all $35 for a Croton (Nevada) "Chronomaster Aviator SeaDiver"!!! :thumbup:
:cursing::cursing: My wife would love to move back home to the US and I keep coming up with excuses but every time I read a post like this I end up with one less reason not to move.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tsk!...well, it certainly took you long enough!!! :lol:

Very good first photo shoot. I especially like that movement shot.
Thanks!
speaking of the movement shot, any idea what movement it is? I've started to research a little on this watch, and it sounds like they shifted between several over the years.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pretty impressive finds. The watches I have found at antique stores have been WAY over priced. Those look good and congrats on the pictures. No stopping you now !
Yeah, I've got a lot of catching up to do with pictures....
Now, if I can only get a hang of using photobucket, I should start adding shots of all "the boys".

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, after comparing several pics on the 'net, I'm pretty sure it is a Calibre Valjoux 92. It's running very well, and resets crisply & accurately, so I couldn't be happier!
I'm not sure where I'm going to find a bezel for it though. Are bezels made in "common sizes"? Is there such a thing as generic, or replacement bezels, like crystals, or will I need to find old parts? As long as it looks appropriate, I'm not too worried about it being an exact match.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Yes, after comparing several pics on the 'net, I'm pretty sure it is a Calibre Valjoux 92. It's running very well, and resets crisply & accurately, so I couldn't be happier!
I'm not sure where I'm going to find a bezel for it though. Are bezels made in "common sizes"? Is there such a thing as generic, or replacement bezels, like crystals, or will I need to find old parts? As long as it looks appropriate, I'm not too worried about it being an exact match.
Try to look on the swamp if there any vintage croton divers (for parts and repair) for sell? just to get the bezel. Wouldn't hurt. Wow what a find. Look for Nivada watches they have the same watch.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Lucky bugger, What a score. Everybodys dream I think and it just makes them that much more enjoyable. That chrono is brilliant.:drool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts