WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,202 Posts
Welcome to the Pocket Watch club!
Yellow Font Automotive lighting Electric blue Fun
If I can figure out how to live without heat, electricity, blood pressure meds and food for a few months, I'd love to add an Illinois to my collection. LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Waltham 18size 11 jewels.
WM Ellery. Ca 1880.
Pendent wind and lever set in a swing ring case.

I bought this watch about 35 years ago in parts. I knew a person a collector at the time, and he had taken it apart and never put it back together. I had it running back then and then it sat for years. So, the other day I got it out took it all apart again and put it through the watch cleaner and it is back in the business of keeping time. I really like these old watches.
I like the numbering around the second hand. Looks like it was done by hand.
Also the case is coin silver.

Watch Analog watch Clock Quartz clock Measuring instrument

Watch Eye Analog watch Clock Quartz clock

Natural material Jewellery Circle Body jewelry Electric blue

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Measuring instrument

·
Administrator
7,649 Posts
Waltham 18size 11 jewels.
WM Ellery. Ca 1880.
Pendent wind and lever set in a swing ring case.

I bought this watch about 35 years ago in parts. I knew a person a collector at the time, and he had taken it apart and never put it back together. I had it running back then and then it sat for years. So, the other day I got it out took it all apart again and put it through the watch cleaner and it is back in the business of keeping time. I really like these old watches.
I like the numbering around the second hand. Looks like it was done by hand.
Also the case is coin silver.

View attachment 232990

View attachment 232991

View attachment 232992

View attachment 232993
Model 1879 "Ellery" grade. Very nice!

·
Administrator
7,649 Posts
The Westclox is pretty cool. Looks to be in very nice condition. I remember having one when I was a kid.
Problem was being a kid I did not treat it very well and it was not long before it quite working.
The movements weren't exactly the best quality but this one still works and keeps reasonably accurate time. Here's a pic of the movement;
Circle Font Jewellery Metal Auto part

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a 24 jewel Bunn Special Hunting case. 18size
Ca. 1902. 120 years old. The time zones were not adopted here in the US until 1918.
It has that neat damaskeening. I forgot the name for the pattern. It is a type of ray pattern.
Gold jewel settings.
Pendant wind lever set box hinge case.
The dial lettering is called gothic.

Artifact Jewellery Circle Serveware Emblem

Watch Clock Quartz clock Font Circle

Clock Circle Metal Fashion accessory Artifact

·
Super Moderator
17,202 Posts
Here's an oddity I picked uo at The 'Bay. There's a Gallet movement (the reason I bought it!) and inside is stamped on the rear lid: "ELGIN WINNER" * Illinois Watch Case. The curious thing is the dial is completely anonymous (perhaps a later replacement?) I've wanted a Gallet since forever and I'm not going to sell it for ANY reason - but I'm wondering if I have a re-cased watch or a Franken? As I said, it's a keeper so I'm not worried about the ultimate answer here !
Watch Clock Measuring instrument Pocket watch Font

Watch Gear Rim Auto part Bicycle part

I also have a nice Hamilton P/W. At least I hope it's nice...the two-part case is cross-threaded, so I'm gonna have to have Bernie my watch guy see if he can open it for me.

·
Administrator
7,649 Posts
'Elgin Winner' was one of the sub-brands / quality levels that was trade-marked by the Illinois Watch Case Co back in 1910. An 'Elgin Winner' was gold filled & guaranteed for 20 years. I cant say I've seen one with a Gallet movement inside but since you bought it at 'The Bay', maybe it was a private label affair that The Bay dealt with?

·
Super Moderator
17,202 Posts
That could very well be...God only knows! I DO appreciate the reply.
An 'Elgin Winner' was gold filled & guaranteed for 20 years.
It's been well over 20 years. Does dat mean its gonna turn to brass when I'm not lookin'?
Building Font Event House Magenta

Reactions: BunkerBoy

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a pretty neat pocket watch. It has a normal dial and keeps time on the front and then on the back it has a stop watch.
The trade mark on the movement was registered to Edouard Heuer and Lampelet and Cie in Biel Switzerland in 1880 to 1886. The watch is a cylinder movement.
The name Edouard Heuer is the same that would later become Tag Heuer. He started his watch making at around 1860 and was known for his work on chronographs. Have a look.

Watch Analog watch Light Clock Silver

The back of the watch.
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

This is the back of the watch with the dial and hand removed so that the movement can be seen.

Wheel Automotive tire Watch Tire Motor vehicle

This is the trademark which is a lion on a globe with rays shooting up.

Auto part Circle Metal Fixture Close-up

161 - 180 of 186 Posts