WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
41 - 60 of 192 Posts

· Registered
587 Posts
Thanks HAM-X. I have a few older pieces (wrist watches as well) that need to be serviced. Money's a little tight right now , so a little at a time. I have about a dozen or so PW's and movmt's I've picked up over the 10 yrs. or so I've collecting, and some family hierlooms . I'll be sure to post some more pics in the coming days.Hopefully vintage PWs will become a little more popular.

· Registered
238 Posts
My latest acquisition, an Elgin grade 86 size 16 watch with what is known as a convertible or interchangeable movement. This allows the use of the movement in either a hunter or open faced case. In this instance it in an unbranded hunter case marked warranted,14K, US Assay. The watch is from 1892 and has 17 jewels, a three fingered bridge and is lever set.

Attachments

· Registered
1,824 Posts
My latest acquisition, an Elgin grade 86 size 16 watch with what is known as a convertible or interchangeable movement. This allows the use of the movement in either a hunter or open faced case. In this instance it in an unbranded hunter case marked warranted,14K, US Assay. The watch is from 1892 and has 17 jewels, a three fingered bridge and is lever set.
Very nice!

One dumb question though, what do they mean by "hunter" case?:blushing:

· Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Actually, I've several. But here are a couple to whet your appetites!

Waltham Ball ORRS; 1923

Hamilton 992b; ~1940 - My grandfather's watch

Enjoy!

Mac
Great entrance Mac! Welcome to the American Forum...

Relax, look around, and stop by anytime!

Thanks for sharing!

And cszwed... Great Patek too!:thumbup1:

· Registered
194 Posts
Waltham's best

As a pocket watch collector for the past 45 years I really don't know where to start. Perhaps with Waltham's second best watch -- their Riverside Maximus grade movement. It was made in several sizes: 16-size, 14-size, 12-size, 10-size, 6-size, 0-size, 6/0 and 10-ligne. In addition to the quality and adjustment of these watches, Waltham went all-out on the finish. This example is a 12-size movement from around 1896. I have noticed that wristwatch collectors rarely show the movement of their watches whereas for pocket watch collectors the movement is the first thing we want to see. This may be an example of why.

Attachments

· Registered
194 Posts
Thanks for the response, and I am glad to be corrected. That is a beautifully finished movement you show. It was just that at so many watch shows that I have been to, the wristwatch dealers often had no idea what was behind the dial, and many buyers seem to buy wristwatches without seeing what they are getting on the inside. I am relieved that that isn't necessarily so. I also don't want to give the mis-impression that pocket watch folks don't pay attention to the outside. We certainly like a nice case as well as the next person. Perhaps part of the PW approach is because for so many decades the case was selected separately from the movement. It wasn't until after about 1905 that the watch companies started selling complete watches for at least part of their product line. After that one could look for set styles from the watch companies. Hamilton, for instance, offered many styles in their 12-size watches and these styles evolved through the years. Howard did this too, as did Illinois and, to a lesser extent, Waltham and Elgin. Quite a bit of my collecting is of factory-cased models, so I am sensitive to both aspects - movement and case.

· Banned
3,657 Posts
Thanks for the response, and I am glad to be corrected. That is a beautifully finished movement you show. It was just that at so many watch shows that I have been to, the wristwatch dealers often had no idea what was behind the dial, and many buyers seem to buy wristwatches without seeing what they are getting on the inside. I am relieved that that isn't necessarily so. I also don't want to give the mis-impression that pocket watch folks don't pay attention to the outside. We certainly like a nice case as well as the next person. Perhaps part of the PW approach is because for so many decades the case was selected separately from the movement. It wasn't until after about 1905 that the watch companies started selling complete watches for at least part of their product line. After that one could look for set styles from the watch companies. Hamilton, for instance, offered many styles in their 12-size watches and these styles evolved through the years. Howard did this too, as did Illinois and, to a lesser extent, Waltham and Elgin. Quite a bit of my collecting is of factory-cased models, so I am sensitive to both aspects - movement and case.
No problem, I have many watches (wrist) from 1920/30 that used / adopted pocket watch movements, all BEAUTUFUL, especially Waltham

I posted some pics in my previous reply take a look

Regards

· Registered
194 Posts
Illinois grade 439

This is one of my favorite factory-cased watches. It is an Illinois grade 439 from 1920. It is a 12-size thin-model dress watch. The case has nice enamel accents on the bezel and back and it has a fine silver dial with enameled numbers and other details.

Attachments

· Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
WOW Jerry!

This is one of my favorite factory-cased watches. It is an Illinois grade 439 from 1920. It is a 12-size thin-model dress watch. The case has nice enamel accents on the bezel and back and it has a fine silver dial with enameled numbers and other details.

The enamel work on that PW is Incredible!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing with the gang!:thumbup:

Illinois made some very cool enamel wrist watches... I will post some soon.

G

· Registered
194 Posts
Men's pocket watches range from 20-size down to 10-size. Here is an array of ladies watches, illustrating the range in the smaller sizes. The smaller movements (0-size and smaller) were also popular for wristwatches, with the smallest being used in some very elegant ladies watches in the twenties. Is there anyone else who shares my interest in ladies watches (pendant or wrist)? [The movement of the smallest one is about the size of a dime; the next larger movement is the size of a nickel].

Attachments

· Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Wren?

Jerry,

Wren has really some nice ladies Illinois,
but she is traveling this week.
I am sure she will post some of them when she gets back!:thumbup1:

That is a very cool diagram you posted there!

I think it is very nice to see the sizes all put out to see!

Thanks Jerry!

· Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Beauty U

Welcome to the American U...

That is a super heirloom...

The dial looks original and is kinda cool just like it is...

Love the photo inside.

Stop by anytime and say hello:thumbup:

Thanks for sharing.

· Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Oh Boy!

What a beauty...

Super clean dial and really nice movement.

The case has a cool design as well.

I was down in Haiti and it is STILL a mess.

Thanks so much for sharing that fantastic PW:thumbup1:

41 - 60 of 192 Posts