WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,824 Posts
Great pocket watches guys!:drool:

But I have to say that digdoug's pocketwatch is pretty incredible! Not only because it is so ornate and the case work is so intricate and detailed but because it has been in his family since just after the Civil War. I find that amazing.

Keep them coming guys!:thumbup1:

· Registered
1,824 Posts
lovely
I still debate if to start collecting pocket watches too, there are some magnificent ones.
I'm also debating whether to start collecting pocket watches. :cursing:

This thread has really got me thinking I should. The watches themselves are nice, but what really has me wanting to collect them is the beautiful movements! The craftmanship really stands out from that early period. What gorgeous machining!

Ahhh, but there are so many watches I've yet to collect! Aaaargh, what to do, what to do?:001_wub:

· Registered
1,824 Posts
Just think how many Bennie PW's are out there waiting for you to discover.:sneaky2:
Actually, the only Benrus PW I've ever seen is the one Greg posted!:crying:

From all of my investigation, I've concluded that Benrus didn't really produce to many PW's....

On another note -

What is the watch FOB?

What does it stand for and how do you use one?

And does it make the PW more valuable to have the original?

· Registered
1,824 Posts
Great looking PW Nova!:thumbup1:

It's really in perfect condition. The dial is really nice. To bad they didn't use dispaly casebacks in those days, right? I mean look at that machining and the script they used. That's craftmanship! Those early movements pretty much blow-away modern day movements.

Any idea of the year?

· Registered
1,824 Posts
Hey Jon, welcome to the forum!:thumbup1:

We're glad you found us. You'll see there is quite alot of interest in pocket watches on this forum, so I think you'll enjoy yourself here and your knowledge of these beautiful PW's could add greatly to our understanding the history of them.

Pictures are greatly appreciated here, so feel free to post them or start your own threads on the different manufacturers.

So stick around and browse for abit and I'm sure you'll be hearing from some of our PW members here soon!:)

· Registered
1,824 Posts
Wow gurth, that is a gorgeous piece!

That is certainly not a cheap PW by any stretch. The movement has some very nice looking and fancy machining and it looks very well made. The case is pretty ornate also. The dial is very handsome and I like the hands as well. The logo on the dial is really done nicely in that script to. All-in-all, it's really a nice piece!

I would have to say it is pretty rare because of the small numbers made. I'm guessing Keystone was named after where they were made, in Pa.. And I'll also tell you that you should have it repaired. It's very likely to be fixable for very little money. Those old PW's were built to last a lifetime. It would be nice to see the old girl run again!

And alot of those companies that were mentioned at the top of this thread were either swallowed up by one of the big boys like Waltham, Elgin or Hamilton, or they simply went out-of-business.

Thanks for sharing!:thumbup1:

· Registered
1,824 Posts
My latest acquisition, an Elgin grade 86 size 16 watch with what is known as a convertible or interchangeable movement. This allows the use of the movement in either a hunter or open faced case. In this instance it in an unbranded hunter case marked warranted,14K, US Assay. The watch is from 1892 and has 17 jewels, a three fingered bridge and is lever set.
Very nice!

One dumb question though, what do they mean by "hunter" case?:blushing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts