WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Great pocket watches guys!:drool:

But I have to say that digdoug's pocketwatch is pretty incredible! Not only because it is so ornate and the case work is so intricate and detailed but because it has been in his family since just after the Civil War. I find that amazing.

Keep them coming guys!:thumbup1:

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Pocket Watches...

Welcome to the American Forum Jackie!
There are SO many kinds of Pocket Watches out there, from some great American companies... keep checking in here for more examples.
If you do get one, don't forget to show us a picture!:thumbup1:

tbarry...
Awsome pictures of a beautiful PW!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Received this one recently from a grandparent. The Waldon is in need of much TLC but here is the current state ...

Glass crystal was shattered and the movement is corroded but it still keeps time!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have three 12 size

My first is an heirloom piece that my great-grandfather bought in 1923. It's a 7 jewel cal. 303 wgf Elgin, not terribly valuable, but in great shape, with original fob and box from Snellenberg Jewelers in Philadelphia.

I also have an Illinois Time King and a Hamilton Farragut (secometer), from, respectively, 1926 and the late '30s. I must say that the Illinois movement is a thing of beauty.

·
Banned
27,654 Posts
The only thing I can tell you about it is the "25 years" referred to the thickness of the gold fill layer. The thicker it was, the longer the guarantee with 30 being the max IIRC. That was stopped sometime in the 1930's I think.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
lovely
I still debate if to start collecting pocket watches too, there are some magnificent ones.
I'm also debating whether to start collecting pocket watches. :cursing:

This thread has really got me thinking I should. The watches themselves are nice, but what really has me wanting to collect them is the beautiful movements! The craftmanship really stands out from that early period. What gorgeous machining!

Ahhh, but there are so many watches I've yet to collect! Aaaargh, what to do, what to do?:001_wub:

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

This thread has really got me thinking I should. The watches themselves are nice, but what really has me wanting to collect them is the beautiful movements! The craftmanship really stands out from that early period. What gorgeous machining!

Ahhh, but there are so many watches I've yet to collect! Aaaargh, what to do, what to do?:001_wub:

Come on Ham! Give in, you are helpless, A true WIS!
Don't make this harder than it has to be...
You know you want one:T

(seller photo)

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Railroad Standard Time Introduced:

This is a pretty cool PW story with a neat watch.

Railroad Standard Time Introduced:

During the early years most trains were operated on a single track,
with sidings provided at intervals to allow trains to pass each other.
Railroads operated using a timetable in order to avoid
collisions between trains and to move trains efficiently
over the railroad lines. Timetable operation required that
all moving trains use a standardized time.

Each railroad began to try to standardize time based
on the local time standard adopted by its home city
or an important city on its line. Mistakes and errors
were frequent and sometimes disastrous. (Railswest.com)

The Great Kipton Train Wreck:

Oberlin Weekly News, April 23, 1891

The local passenger train from the east was behind schedule
and instead of waiting at Oberlin for the fast mail train to
pass by from the west, went on to Kipton. A freight train
was sitting on the siding that the engineer had planned to
use and going eight miles an hour by this time sought a
second siding. The mail train came around the curve from
the west going forty-five miles an hour. The engineer's
view being blocked by the freight on the siding, he did
not see the passenger train in time to slow down.
Both engineers and a fireman were among those killed.
Three postal clerks sorting mail also died.

The accident occurred on April 18th
and eight people died in the crash.

Because of Wrecks like these,
A new pocket watch standard was begun:
Standard Requirements (General)
collectionoftimes.com

Here is my Illinois Bunn Railroad Grade Pocketwatch:

American Made 18 or 16 size
Fitted with 17 or more jewels
Temperature compensated
Adjusted to 5 positions
Lever Set
Timed to +/- 30 sec/week
Fitted with a:
Double roller
Patented regulator
Steel escape wheel
Plain White dial
Having:
Black Arabic Numerals
Each minute delineated
Open Face
Configured with the winding stem at 12 O'clock

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do what you gotta do

Lucky for all of us that you and 007 haven't won the lottery. There would be nothing left out there for the rest of us to buy.:sad:

I know there are PW guys and Strap Watch guys, but down deep we all suffer from the same affliction. :blushing:pocket watches coexisted with wrist watches for a long time. While the PW's eventually went the way of the American watch manufacturers, there was a period of overlap that I find interesting. A great example...RJ007 showed us his Bunn Railroad Pocket Watch along with the corresponding "Off-Duty" strap watch to be worn when not on the job. When they need a truly accurate timepiece, as with my
AN5740 Navigation Watch, they entrusted their lives to a good old PW.

Just think how many Bennie PW's are out there waiting for you to discover.:sneaky2:

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Scott,

"S.W.C. Co" is:

The Star Watch Case Co.

Otto A. Starke and Fred Herman founded the company in Elgin, IL in 1897. The company moved to Ludington, MI in 1905, where they eventually employed about 150 people.

Until WWI, only pocket watch cases were made. Afterwards, Wrist Watch Cases were added to the line. The company continued to make watch cases until at least the mid-1970's. Cases were solid gold, gold filled, rolled gold plate, sterling silver and eventually, chrome plated.

History of the American Watch Case, Warren H. Niebling, Whitmore Publishing, Philadelphia, PA, 1971

"The Star Watch Case Co., Jack Linahan, NAWCC Bulletin, No. 360, February, 2006, pp. 4-9.

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
Scott,

"S.W.C. Co" is:

The Star Watch Case Co.

Otto A. Starke and Fred Herman founded the company in Elgin, IL in 1897. The company moved to Ludington, MI in 1905, where they eventually employed about 150 people.

Until WWI, only pocket watch cases were made. Afterwards, Wrist Watch Cases were added to the line. The company continued to make watch cases until at least the mid-1970's. Cases were solid gold, gold filled, rolled gold plate, sterling silver and eventually, chrome plated.

History of the American Watch Case, Warren H. Niebling, Whitmore Publishing, Philadelphia, PA, 1971

"The Star Watch Case Co., Jack Linahan, NAWCC Bulletin, No. 360, February, 2006, pp. 4-9.

Thanks for the info! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Just think how many Bennie PW's are out there waiting for you to discover.:sneaky2:
Actually, the only Benrus PW I've ever seen is the one Greg posted!:crying:

From all of my investigation, I've concluded that Benrus didn't really produce to many PW's....

On another note -

What is the watch FOB?

What does it stand for and how do you use one?

And does it make the PW more valuable to have the original?

1 - 20 of 186 Posts