WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a new macro lens kit......(AKA PICS!!)

Bought a magnifying filter kit for my canon, thought i'd try it out here at work. It's no microscope, but for under $30, the results were not too shabby! Will post more as i get better, enjoy! :thumbup:

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
You have the equiptment; now all you need is to get better lighting and master the depth of field settings and you'll be snapping with the best of them. Nice work so far!

·
Registered
15,302 Posts
as Dennis said......try to decrease the aperture (higher 'f' stop) for better
depth of filed and get more light.

(stabilizing with a tripod and hence the ability for longer exposures will
really make the images pop even more)

...nice job...keep 'em coming !!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have the equiptment; now all you need is to get better lighting and master the depth of field settings and you'll be snapping with the best of them. Nice work so far!
as Dennis said......try to decrease the aperture (higher 'f' stop) for better
depth of filed and get more light.

(stabilizing with a tripod and hence the ability for longer exposures will
really make the images pop even more)

...nice job...keep 'em coming !!
Will do, thanks for the compliments :D

This was just screwing around at work with limited light, once I get to setting up some shots and get better lighting i'll post more.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
Great photography. I'll be interested to see how your skills progress.

But, and this is only a mild thing, when people post these kinds of pictures it makes me wish that there was at least 1 shot of the whole watch so I could see what it looks like and put these closeups in perspective.

This is a general thing, 'cos I think that is a pic of your watch in your sig? But it would be nice to get a nice large one as well.

But great shots, keep it up!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great photography. I'll be interested to see how your skills progress.

But, and this is only a mild thing, when people post these kinds of pictures it makes me wish that there was at least 1 shot of the whole watch so I could see what it looks like and put these closeups in perspective.

This is a general thing, 'cos I think that is a pic of your watch in your sig? But it would be nice to get a nice large one as well.

But great shots, keep it up!!
Ask and you shall receive :biggrin:

slow day @ work, more screwing around:

Look at all that dust!! :scared:
Whipped out the LED mag light for a few

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
What macro set-up is it you're using on which Canon camera?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What macro set-up is it you're using on which Canon camera?
I got a canon 40D and just bought a cheap magnification filter set off amazon. they definitely let you get a lot closer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really like the light on the hands here:

I like the light on the indices here:

Very nice! Instant improvements. :thumbup1:

Thanks, I appreciate it! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
I agree with the general comments, your shots are excellent, and the watch itself is beautiful, simple, and elegent. I love the blued hands and the textured dial. And of course, nothing beats a displayback to admire the working bits :thumbup1:.
I am curious though - what size is the watch? It looks to be about 38mm but that could just be me thinking that way because it is a dress watch.
Thanks for showing off yet another great Longines in this forum - I can't get enough of them :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am not familiar with that Canon model. Does it have an adjustment for what lens you have on the camera? On my Canon it has an adjustment for the macro lens and the wide angle lens and it makes a difference. I have a Canon S5 IS, In the super macro mode I do not need a magnifying filter. The only lens I bought was a wide angle. Keep up the good work and play around with your depth of field and lighting. Watches are one of the hardst subjects to shoot. The next thing you will want to get is Photoshop Elements 7. You can really do a lot of things with your photos once you have taken then to help with the lighting and contrast and so much more.
Good luck

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
I am curious though - what size is the watch? It looks to be about 38mm but that could just be me thinking that way because it is a dress watch.
Longines makes that in 2 sizes - 38 and 42 mm if I remember correctly. Mmmm, power reserve...a missing element in my collection.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I am not familiar with that Canon model. Does it have an adjustment for what lens you have on the camera? On my Canon it has an adjustment for the macro lens and the wide angle lens and it makes a difference. I have a Canon S5 IS, In the super macro mode I do not need a magnifying filter. The only lens I bought was a wide angle. Keep up the good work and play around with your depth of field and lighting. Watches are one of the hardst subjects to shoot. The next thing you will want to get is Photoshop Elements 7. You can really do a lot of things with your photos once you have taken then to help with the lighting and contrast and so much more.
Good luck
The 40D is a DSLR - digital single-lens reflex - that has an optical viewfinder and uses interchangeable lenses and has a large sensor. Your S5 IS (I have the same model) is known as a superzoom that has a small sensor and electronic viewfinder and no provision for interchanging lenses but which, as you know, can take add-on supplementary lenses.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I got a canon 40D and just bought a cheap magnification filter set off amazon. they definitely let you get a lot closer.
Oooohhhh... I have a 40D.

Standby for my PM!!

:biggrin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts