WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got my buddies’ 14k Gruen running right. This thing is so pretty it hurts.

It has all the bells, black textured dial, knotted lugs.

Too bad it isn’t an American made movement. Nice 420 though. Same movement as the Pan Americans without the center seconds.

I still have to adjust the second hand a little as it hits the hour hand at about 5 til 6 and stops the movement.
The 420 joins my top ten list of unforgiving hairsprings. Made of putty, $45 new and 8-10 parts movements are bad.

Joel

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Looks great, Joel! Is that dial glossy, too? Must be a bear to shoot a pic of!

Once again, Gruen puts cap jewels on the escape wheel to get to 17, rather than jeweling the center wheel. Odd.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looks great, Joel! Is that dial glossy, too? Must be a bear to shoot a pic of!

Once again, Gruen puts cap jewels on the escape wheel to get to 17, rather than jeweling the center wheel. Odd.

Agree that it is an awesome dial. Did Gruen make its own dials ?

Thanks
FJF

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
*THUD !!!* that was me falling over with sheer green-eyed jealousy .......wow ....that is some watch ......but it has all my favorites in a round watch ....love them knotted lugs ....and black dial ...check.......good size ....check.......

what's not to love ? eh ? ....

that is one lovely watch ....

Reactions: RJ007

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Dang Joel... I haven't been in the market for watches for a few months, but if I spotted that I would have loved it.

Coolest dial ever!!! Solid gold Gruens are awesome!!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
That is definitely a keeper for your friend! :thumbup1:

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
That's an EXCELLENT dial. :thumbup1: Why they put it in a jobber case is beyond me, but it does look like a decent combo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts