WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

The time has come to let my Pam320 go. I find myself wearing it less and less, perhaps because it does not jive well with my style anymore. I find it slightly large and therefor feel it to be more of a casual watch and not something I can wear when dressing up. In any case, I have sent it down to my local retailer from which I bought it second-hand. They are polishing it up and also replacing the bezel with new. They said they would make me an offer for a buy-back/trade once finished.

I'm trying to figure out what would be a fair price to take on it. I believe I paid about $7k for it a few years ago. I have the box and papers as well as three panerai straps. I also have a custom strap with my initials, but I do not think that will add much value being that it is customized. I am also considering selling it elsewhere (perhaps here) depending on your advice. What is an acceptable range for this watch based on condition?

In any case, I am looking to get into something else. Hopefully for straight exchange, as I would not like to lay out much cash, if any at all. I am estimating my next purchase range to be about $5.5k to 6k depending on what they offer.

I was thinking something along the lines of a Jaeger Lecoutre reverso squadra or perhaps a used Pepsi rolex. Maybe something vintage. I think it would need to be mechanical movement and a bit smaller than the Pam. I wear my Tag daily and have the cartier still for sporty. I still like the idea of a leather band, but it could be steel.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, just laying out my thoughts as this is a big decision and I have had to take time to decide to let the Panerai go.

Thanks!

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Can't help you with what to expect for the PAM. Sorry.

The Reverso is a good choice. I don't like the square proportions of the Squadra, but that'a all about personal taste. If you're looking for a Rolex that can dress up, a vintage Day/Date 1803 on a leather strap might be a good option. White gold is available instead of yellow. Or maybe something from the Cellini line. A pepsi 1675 just doesn't seem like a dress watch to me.

If it's a true dress watch you want there are plenty of options. If you actually want something more casual that wouldn't be totally out of place with business casual attire that's a different story. What's your goal and what kind of clothes will you really wear it with?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My goal is to have something different than my other two watches. I would get a Submariner in a minute, but it would be very similar to my Tag Chrono 2000 that I love and have had for 10 years. That was the thought behind the JLC. I do not currently own a square watch. Its not that I dress up often, as my work allows me to be in a polo/button down + khakis most of the time. I'm almost never in a suit.

The pepsi is casual, but it looks like FUN! Plus its different enough than the Tag that I could wear it when I feel like it. The JLC has my eye, but new ones in my budget may be tough. I was looking online and I could buy one from an online retailer, but I am weary of that. Jomashop, and similar. I would def have to get feedback about the different online shops before I placed an order. Same goes for the second hand places which would he even harder to determine condition of the watch.

I think the day/date isn't bad, but WAY out of my 5-6k budget. Those are like $20k+ new. Plus I'm not sure about a gold watch, it would have to be white if so.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think the reason you have had only two responses to your situation is because this is one of those threads where no matter what anyone says, you will respond with a "yeah, but," then proceed to justify and rationalize what you have already decided to do.

There's nothing wrong with that .... just providing an explanation.

I hope you get the full $7K for your PAM, and find a crazy-good deal on the JLC that you want.

OkeefenokeeJoe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.