WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How likely are they to get dinged up and significantly damaged if you wear them regularly? I'm not talking "working on the truck" kind of wear, just regular office use - mostly long sleeve this time of year.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Gold is a soft metal. I'm able to scratch stainless braclets and bezels in an instant so...I don't wear my gold watches around ceramic or stone surfaces. I'm mindful of these watches and where my wrist is whenever I have them on and still I have managed to scratch the gold deployment on one of them. Eh, so it goes.

·
Banned
778 Posts
I have three gold watches (two white, one rose). Both white gold watches have slight scratches but the rose gold has stayed mark free.

I wore the Patek for about a year after buying it virtually non stop (I only had the TAG and IWC as alternatives at the time) and only gave it one significant mark.

I wouldn't have a precious metal bracelet (don't like them anyway) as I think that would take a bit of a beating - even in a desk job.

Lastly I was told that under a loupe you can see microscopic markings just from every day abrasions. This makes sense intuitively (I don't know for a fact) but I'm not sure I'm bothered about that anyway.

What you thinking of getting?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, "got":

I am debating whether to keep it or flip it. It's a lot of money (to me) for a watch I maybe can't wear regularly (especially on the leather here in Houston), and while I like it a lot, and the movement is a thing of beauty, I don't love it. I got an OK deal on it, and can stand to make a significant amount of money (probably enough to pay the bill for having my Breitling restored) by selling it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Beautiful looking watch. However, I know what you mean about feeling just ok about it. I've had to sell two watches this week just to make room for what i actually wear

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.