WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I saw my coworker with an Invicta watch and i was rather impressed, so i decided to buy a couple. However my question here, which of course will be the deciding factor, is how long does the gold-plated gold on the stainless steel generally takes to start fading or stripping? Does anyone here has the Invicta Men's 1438 Russian Diver Gold Dial Black Polyurethane Watch? if yes how long is it since you had it and is yet starting to fade or strip?

Kindly see images of the watches i am interested in. Your input is highly required and appreciated, thank you.

Watch Analog watch White Clock Font
Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Watch accessory
Watch Brown Analog watch Watch accessory Clock

Note: click on images to see larger picture

· Registered
133 Posts
Gold plating is a chemical process that bonds a "micron" thick layer of real gold to the underlying stainless steel. It WILL scratch but shouldn't wear off. I haven't heard of the plating wearing off ever, and I'm pretty sure we would have if it was happening.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thank you, i had these there watches sitting in my cart ready to purchase, i was just waiting on the view or views from you watch experts before i did. I will now go get them, thank you again.

· Registered
544 Posts
The only time I've heard of gold plating 'wearing off' is on old brass based pocket watches. But, that is a case of one soft metal plated to another soft metal and even then it would take many, many years of constant, rough use to happen.

· Super Moderator
17,356 Posts
... One is my dialy... and shower with it....
...If you want it to last 18 years like some of your others, may I possibly suggest you stop wearing it in the shower? Unless it is rated for 600 feet/ 200 meters the watch is merely water resistant and not waterproof. It is not meant for prolonged moisture exposure, and you are just tempting fate,
../

1 - 6 of 6 Posts