WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Noticed another thread on a glitzy gold watch and it prompted me to post this to ask if anyone has seen similar models.

An Admiral from the 1970s with a custom band that matches the case, no doubt created by Longines - but did they do many small runs like this?.

5000425719-b3_1_b.JPG

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Interesting looking watch! I havedn't seen one like it before, but the Admiral line is a good line of Longines watches.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Noticed another thread on a glitzy gold watch and it prompted me to post this to ask if anyone has seen similar models.

An Admiral from the 1970s with a custom band that matches the case, no doubt created by Longines - but did they do many small runs like this?.

View attachment 30849
Living in Alaska I see gold nugget watches all the time, usually going for outrageous amounts of money. Almost all of them use a seiko quartz watch, not sure why. I have only seen two that were not seiko's. 1 was an Accutron astonout MK II and the other was a Longines Barlow, which I bought. It is nice to see an Admiral. I am not an expert but, most of the nugget watches I know of are jewelers that add the nuggets later. Real gold nuggets are extremely rare these days. There are a lot of fake nuggets out there. You can usually tell because the real ones are fairly dull in appearance. The fake ones are way too shiney. Thanks for sharing the pic.

·
Super Moderator
15,649 Posts
This is the first "nugget Longines" I've seen, but I'm not surprised. The nugget look was a fad for the rich back in the 70s-80s. The bands weren't actual gold nuggets...they were simply made to look that way. The most common victims of this blend of too much disposable income and bad taste were Rolex watches

By the end of the 1990s it was impossible to pick up an issue of The DuPont Registry or The Robb Report without seeing a half dozen ads for these trying to be sold by the owners who finally came to their senses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts