WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i'm a 21 yrs old college student, and recently i have some extra cash to spend
and i thought that im at an age where i should be starting to wear a watch
i mean before this i just wore digital watches or half analog half digital casio watches that other ppl bought me for holidays and birthdays
my budget is around 1k usd, being looking around on amazon, since the price on there seems cheaper than in the mall, right now im looking into the tag heuer f1 and the victorinox divemaster 500
but im open to suggestions
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See the "best watch under $1k" thread in the General forum
don't rly like the looks of most of them, cept maybe the Tissot PRS-516, which seemed pretty to my taste
ill put that into my consideration too
but after googling around for a bit, i feel like gettin a quartz power'd watch might be better for me

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
If you don't mind my suggestion, with your $1000, I think you're spending too much on quartz. Although quartz definitely has a place in most watch collections, $1000 seems excessive. May I recommend that you try a Swiss automatic along with a nice quartz? You'd have a rotation and would be able to change watches to match your attire and would give you a nice opportunity to have a unique piece.

Maybe something like a nice Swiss dive watch or dress watch then a solar powered Ecco Drive Calibre 8700 from Citizen?

My first watch purchase was a Calibre 8700, pretty amazing perpetual calendar that looked awesome, certainly within your price range with enough meat left to get a nice quality automatic with the surplus. My first Automatic was nothing more than an Orient Multi-Eyes that I got with a Citizen Stiletto, the Stiletto was amazing, but I outgrew it and haven't bought quartz since. I think the prospects of accuracy (where relevant) can be met with a quartz watch, and the lasting quality and craftsmanship of a mechanical watch could match nicer occasions and ambitions to keep a watch for 20 - 50 years and pass on to children as something of your own!.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you don't mind my suggestion, with your $1000, I think you're spending too much on quartz. Although quartz definitely has a place in most watch collections, $1000 seems excessive. May I recommend that you try a Swiss automatic along with a nice quartz? You'd have a rotation and would be able to change watches to match your attire and would give you a nice opportunity to have a unique piece.

Maybe something like a nice Swiss dive watch or dress watch then a solar powered Ecco Drive Calibre 8700 from Citizen?

My first watch purchase was a Calibre 8700, pretty amazing perpetual calendar that looked awesome, certainly within your price range with enough meat left to get a nice quality automatic with the surplus. My first Automatic was nothing more than an Orient Multi-Eyes that I got with a Citizen Stiletto, the Stiletto was amazing, but I outgrew it and haven't bought quartz since. I think the prospects of accuracy (where relevant) can be met with a quartz watch, and the lasting quality and craftsmanship of a mechanical watch could match nicer occasions and ambitions to keep a watch for 20 - 50 years and pass on to children as something of your own!.

Just a suggestion.
ya before today i never knew ne thing about automatic watches.. but after doing a lot of research
seems like automatic watches usually have like at least 5 seconds error each day? but i understand they're much harder to make which makes their price much more worthwhile.
but this will be my first watch, so keeping it for 20+ years doesnt seem to be all that important since after i graduate and start working, ill prob buy a better watch eventually, so i was thinking i could go with a quartz one now and then upgrade to a high end automatic later
but the main question i have right now is that, how long does quart watches usually last? and when they do break, does the whole watch just goes to waste? or is it possible to just replace the insides or somethin, if so, how much would that cost exc.
this watch will mainly be for everyday wearing, well maybe not everyday but most of the time
very rarely do i dress up formally, no more than a couple days in the whole year, most of the time, it'll be just a casual shirt and jeans
right now, the tag heuer f1 is looking most attractive to me, however the downside is that i want a metal strap, but their metal strap version of the watch looks weird to me, it feels like the rubber strap version looks much better
however going toward automatic is still not out of the question, i've being looking into swiss army, tissot, and hamilton watches, but still haven't came across one that just really felt super attractive to me
i will prob discuss this over with a couple of friends and then go check out the mall this week and try a couple on
thanks for replying, and i would appreicate it if you could answer my question about the aging of quartz watches :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
8700 Ecco Drive (never needs a battery with Solar Power)

Sporty Dive Automatic:
Gevril (Gv2) is a nice option (I have a copper one like this):

More dressy options:
Also similar to one of my watches (Gevril):

Tool watch that are fun:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gev....,cf.osb&fp=c8c1be929e1b52e9&biw=1680&bih=921

I hope this helps. Welcome to the forum!
thx, but i guess i should of prob said what i was looking for the in the watch
im looking for mainly black theme'd watch
don't really like the blue background
and i like big round ones, no rectangular or ovals
i prefer metal straps, but i dont really like plain silver ones

edit: actually i think the citizen one would be pretty good if it was black instead of blue
also about solar power, how much sun would it need.. cuz i live in seattle and we dont get a lot of sun here..
plus when i do wear the watch it'll be mostly indoors i think

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
casio_29825.jpg

this is the watch i have right now, was a gift from one of my cousins 2 years ago
something a bit more classy, without the digital part, but not super mature is what im looking for right now

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Ecco Drive can use artifical light and sunlight, just don't keep it in a drawer. The blue on the 8700 is very dark almost black/navy blue. Its around 3 - 400 and keeps track of years days months and even compensates for leap years for the next 200 years.

Quartz watches can last a long time, but usually it is boredom that is their demise, since quartz is usually more inexpensive to collect, they're easier to replace. By the time you think about it again the battery has corroded and ruined the movement. You can always get a movement but repairing a quartz watch (to me) seems like it isn't worthwhile.

Look at Citizen, Orient, Christopher Ward, Gevril, Tissot (they're often faked), Seiko, TAG is nice, but over priced for their offerings in quartz, and Hamilton.

Post what you find and what you like, we can help you with quality.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My two cents. I have developed my watch habit over the last couple of years. I have about 25 different watches with the majority being quartz. Nothing wrong with them but, as my habit mutates quartz watches do not have the soul that mechanicals have. For 1K I would purchase three or four watches. Seiko divers are great and the monsters are not too expensive. I have a Vostok, a russian mechanical that was 56 USD. I spent more on the bracelet than the watch but I think it looks great! Check our as many of these forums as you can and google all the different brands that folks mention. You are certain to find at least one that speaks to you. Half of the habit is the search itself, don't be in a hurry, most of all, enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
First, thanks for noticing my PRS-516. That is what I actually have. If I were now shopping for a sub-$1k watch, it would probably
be a Boschett or Hamilton. Possibly another Tissot. You asked about quartz longevity...

I've had this perpetual calendar chronograph since the mid-1970s and every feature still performs flawlessly. It gains 1 second every three weeks.
Your decision to go window-shopping is a smart one. There are many styles and choices, and more are being added all the time. You might want to concentrate on stores that are a brand's Authorized Dealer. They often have a good selection of quality brands to choose from.

After your shopping trip, maybe with the help of your camera or phone-cam, come back here with your impressions and insights. Maybe we can help narrow-down your list for you! :001_smile:

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
My two cents... You are certain to find at least one that speaks to you. Half of the habit is the search itself, don't be in a hurry, most of all, enjoy!
Truer words have not been spoken in a long time!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the help guys, will report back in 2-3 days :)
unfortuneately i lost the cable to connect my phone to my pc..
so ill note down the models and post them when i go window shoppin next week~

·
Registered
232 Posts
In my opinion look Lum-Tec.com

I own a Tagheuer and I purchased a Lum-tec about 6 months ago.. Unbelievable watch for the money..

GQSTEW From N.Y.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I own a Tagheuer and I purchased a Lum-tec about 6 months ago.. Unbelievable watch for the money..

GQSTEW From N.Y.
i only see their own brands on their?

btw, can someone rank the following brands for me:
tag heuer, tissot, victorinox, hamilton, oris

·
Registered
15,309 Posts

GQSTEW From N.Y.
I agree, LumTec is a geat suggestion.
In "$1000 or less" I'd consider LumTec or Deep Blue watches with ETA calibers.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
In value for the money conversations:

Hamilton, Oris, TAG, Tissot, Victornox

Name alone:

TAG, Hamilton, Tissot, Oris, Victornox

My thoughts:

TAG, Oris, Hamilton, Tissot, Victornox

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
TAG is a hard one to put on context here. Their high-end models will make their name more "prestigious", but you're not buying one of those models in this price range. Victorinox has the opposite problem - their mass market models "drag down" the fine watches in the upper end of their range where your budget is. Most everyone will probably recognize these brands.

Tissot and Hamilton are both Swatch group. Tissot has a long European history, and Hamilton has a long US history. IMHO, Swatch have aimed Tissot at motorsport (motor GP in particular) and Hamilton at aviation (they sponsor a RedBull air race plane).

Oris is one of those "best watch you've never heard of" kind of brands IMHO. They are getting more penetration into the US market though. Like Tissot and especially Hamilton, I don't think the general public will know any of these three brands.

Note that all these watches (I think) have the same movements - produced by ETA, part of the Swatch group. Choose the one that you like the looks of and the price the most - they are all good watches.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i've actually being thinkin that i might just dish out more cash and buy something in the 2k ish range..
u guys think i can get like an omega or somethin for bit over 2k?
not sure if it would be appropriate for my age to be doing so tho
feels like something over 2k would be too high end for my age, wut do u guys think?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TAG is a hard one to put on context here. Their high-end models will make their name more "prestigious", but you're not buying one of those models in this price range. Victorinox has the opposite problem - their mass market models "drag down" the fine watches in the upper end of their range where your budget is. Most everyone will probably recognize these brands.

Tissot and Hamilton are both Swatch group. Tissot has a long European history, and Hamilton has a long US history. IMHO, Swatch have aimed Tissot at motorsport (motor GP in particular) and Hamilton at aviation (they sponsor a RedBull air race plane).

Oris is one of those "best watch you've never heard of" kind of brands IMHO. They are getting more penetration into the US market though. Like Tissot and especially Hamilton, I don't think the general public will know any of these three brands.

Note that all these watches (I think) have the same movements - produced by ETA, part of the Swatch group. Choose the one that you like the looks of and the price the most - they are all good watches.
ya thats wut i found thru my research as well
i've never heard of oris either before i started researchin, whereas i know tag heuer from just walkin through the mall
and on a sidenote, after researchin more, im starting to like mechanical automatic more now
but about maintaince on those, would i have to get one of those self winder boxes if i dont wear the watch everyday?
and how often do u guys usually service ur watches, exc.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts