WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbup: Congrats to the A's for making the playoffs, the most unlikely team to make it in years.
Hey Ulack, is there a movement in Philly to bring the A's back? They've more successful than
the team that's there now.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
What is an 'A' and where should they go? And what is an 'O' besides Her Majesty Herself? I once went to a baseball game and drank a $9 Budweiser and a $7 hot dog. I then just walked around the stadium trying not to fall asleep. For this I think I paid $80 for myself and wife. It was all a bad mistake. Football is much worse with 300 lb. animals running into each other at top speed. I guess you should watch while you can because it will all be banned or otherwise disappear inside of ten years.

Note: now that I think about it, the hot dog was more like 7 bucks.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
I think baseball will stay around. I was referring to football. Baseball is simply an expensive picnic. Football is doomed unless they do as I suggest: limit the weights of the different positions.
Considering football in the US is:

• The highest attended domestic sport in the world, and over double the next-closest US sport attendance per game.
  • has the most lucrative TV-broadcast revenue in any sport in the US.
  • Has annual revenue of over $9 billion and a projected to increase dramatically in coming years. Current revenue is 25% more than baseball ($7.7B year)
  • The #1 sport in the US, with approx. 36% of sports fans listing it as their #1 sport, vs. the #2's, baseball and college football at 13% each.

it's extremely doubtful, and almost ludicrous to say, football "is doomed". Do they have issues? Sure, but football is growing in the US, as well as internationally, and if the last 2 years of drama from player and ref lockouts didn't affect revenue, I don't see much else doing so either.

From an injury perspective the NFL has done much the last few years to make it safer, but I doubt it'll be banned. After all, once you start where do you stop? Boxing? The name says it all. NHL is just as violent. Ban both of those as well? Nascar and Indy has people flying around at ridiculous speeds, so we can argue we should ban that too. All that'll be left is baseball and cricket. Or maybe they'll start a shuffleboard league. I'm sure that'll bring in the TV revenue!! :blink: :001_unsure:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
What we are going to see in football soon is a death. And there will be more spastic zombie blackouts on the field that are so fun to watch. Even now I am hearing NFL players saying they don't want their kids to play. Mothers are not going to allow their kids to play. And, of course, the stats are showing that 50 and 60 year old NFL players are in real trouble with the head. The money men will continue to put these guys in harm's way, but I think the mothers of the country will have a different opinion. Just give it 10 years and get back with me on this one.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
I jumped off the Giant's bandwagon after the 72 season and I'll never get back on.
Well I've really not been on their bandwagon for awhile, I stopped following most baseball after the last strike. In fact the only games I've seem 100% over the past 10 years was the World Series the Giants won. But as a SF native, I just can't root for anything Oakland... :sneaky2: :wink:

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
What we are going to see in football soon is a death. And there will be more spastic zombie blackouts on the field that are so fun to watch. Even now I am hearing NFL players saying they don't want their kids to play. Mothers are not going to allow their kids to play. And, of course, the stats are showing that 50 and 60 year old NFL players are in real trouble with the head. The money men will continue to put these guys in harm's way, but I think the mothers of the country will have a different opinion. Just give it 10 years and get back with me on this one.
Well I'm not disagreeing it's a violent sport. But I think you going to see more medical and technological attention paid, creating safer environments, better equipment, and better testing / treatment over the upcoming years. You'll never make it 100% safe, but you can make it safer. To survive regulation by Congress they'll have to.

And lets face facts, no one - including the "money men" - are forcing these guys to play. Most of them have college degrees (regardless of their value), are grown men and make their own choice to play. And, as a result they are well compensated for it. If you don't like the risks, don't take the rewards.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Well, I think many of these college players may indeed choose a different sport when more facts come out on concussion. Many of them can play baseball or basketball. Some of them can even manage an alternate career. I played football in HS and was pretty good. I played D. safety and O. wide receiver. I was very fast (held school records in 100 and 200). I was involved in those types of 'lights out' hits. I saw guys knocked out and even broke a couple bones on dudes. Even before all these new revelations about injury came out, I had already decided my own kid was not going to play this 'game.' He rowed in crew instead. With the latest news on suicide, depression and mental illness with old players, many other former players AND MOMS are going to choose a different game for these kids to play. You can make the helmet three feet in diameter if you like, you will never get by the physics of a 250 pound dude running head-on into another 250 pound dude. The players are simply too big and fast now. It has reached a limit. Even with the rule changes to protect the QB and to avoid head-to-head, I still see it every time I see game high lights. I've seen a dozen crack-back blind blocks on dudes right under the chin and no flag was even pulled as they ruled them 'head to chest.' Well, your head snaps just the same. It is too gross for me to watch and that is ironic because I was one of those dudes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Played OLB at a high enough level to have had several severe head injuries (5 concussions... but my counting might not be so good anymore :lol:). In addition to the cash incentive, guys just love to play. People love to watch them play. Owners love profit. If there's ever any action to end it, it will come entirely from outside the sport. I doubt any texas moms will suddenly be pushing their kids into soccer :001_rolleyes:. Not that I don't appreciate hockey, but as far as pure brutality is concerned, bare knuckle brawls in addition to being a rough sport make it pretty intense.

But somewhat back on topic... When will the baseball gods reward me for sticking with the brewers? I guess I'll have to watch Prince tackle the As with Detroit instead!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:laugh: The A's are there, even if "there's no there, there".
Well I've really not been on their bandwagon for awhile, I stopped following most baseball after the last strike. In fact the only games I've seem 100% over the past 10 years was the World Series the Giants won. But as a SF native, I just can't root for anything Oakland... :sneaky2: :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.