Votes: 12 34.3%
  • SS

Votes: 23 65.7%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time writer. I've been reading the forum for months and finally worked up the courage to ask a question, a fairly ubiquitous one at that.

I'm after my first Rolex and I've settled on the GMT IIc. TT or SS? I'm sure the TT vs. SS question has been asked before. SS speaks to the tool origins of this watch but I'm drawn to the TT version. Both versions are gorgeous. Perhaps I already know the answer. TT seems to give me some additional flexibility for wear from casual to dressy. Perhaps I'm hoping to hear the one persuasive argument that solidifies my decision. I do eventually hope to pick up a used DJ and I think TT is the only way to go there but that hope may never be realized.

I've been over-seas for a while saving up the money and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. I get a couple days of leave in Qatar. Does anybody know if Qatar has any reputable Rolex dealers? If not I'll have to wait until I get back to San Diego. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
688 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
It sounds like you are in the service. If I were going to wear it on duty at all with a uniform, I would go for the SS, and plan on the TT Datejust later. However, if you are drawn to the TT that is the way you should go, you will never get it out of your mind if you pick the SS while really wanting the TT. By the way I just joined the TT world after a long time wearing Rolex and I really like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TT of what model? I would only wear it with a uniform on special occasions and when I knew the risk of getting it banged up were really low. I have a Timex and an Oakley D5 that get all my hazardous wrist time. My first foray into watches was a Tag S/el bought in Hong Kong. I knew very little about automatic time-pieces but my first purchase turned out to be a good one. I've had my Tag for 10 years, just had it serviced for the first time before I was deployed. It is brushed silver with the black face.

I am in the service, at least temporarily. Left active duty a couple years back but stayed in the Reserves. Apparently they liked me enough to call me back for some quality time in Afghanistan.

I tend to agree with you, go with your gut, the TT looks really nice. If I knew I could also afford a TT DJ at some point I think it would be easier to diversifiy my watch types. I guess I have to consider this purchase as "If I could only buy one Rolex, what would it be?" I knew this wasn't the most exciting question but I think I'd feel stupid walking around the FOB showing guys pictures of 2 watches asking which color they liked better?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I have a peripheral question regarding the green color of the extra hand. Is this the anniversary color for Rolex? I thought I read that is signified an anniversary. I think the red hand looks pretty sharp also. By the time another red-handed version of the GMT debuts, it will retail for $12k, maybe more! Rolex sure doesn't seem shy when it comes to consistent price increases.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Must be nice?! Collecting the entire set was easy for me to do when it was collectible cups from McDonalds, Rolex watches not so much. What is the plural of Rolex (Rolexes, Rolexi, just Rolex)?

I know I've hinted towards the TT, but the SS really is a close second. Seems that the SS would fly a little lower under the radar, casual environment. With both a SS and a TT GMT, a TT DJ (fluted bezel, black face, stick numbers) and an Explorer (can't decided which face color, I'm partial to black but the white is really nice) I could die a happy man.

·
Registered
268 Posts
TT of what model?

I wasn't clear, TT of the GMTII? Thanks for your service, when I was in I always thought a stainless looked good in uniform. Even though they could take it I don't think I would wear one of these in hazardous duty situations either.

If you are only getting one I would go with the TT. Once you get hooked on Rolex and have to have more like the rest of us you will have the expensive one out of the way. A stainless Datejust or Explorer will seem cheap( in price not quality) after dropping for a TT.

Good luck and stay safe, let us know which you go with.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
When it comes to the new GMT II - the SS v TT question is a difficult one.

Normally, I don't like two tone watches - but the GMT II ceramic in TT is fabulous!

(It is all Christiaan's fault for letting me wear his for a couple days at the NYC GTG in May 2008!)

Yeah, the crystal should have been cleaned!

All the best,

Harry

·
Registered
47 Posts
Both are great, but.....

SS is my preference. I think it is more discrete and versatile.

Best,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do appreciate the responses. As I suspected, the poll is very close with SS edging TT so far. I don't really think I can go wrong with either purchase, they're both beautfiul watches. I think it will come down to which one speaks to me more. I haven't had either one on my wrist so that will be a big deciding factor. If only I was sure I would win the lotto in the States and knew I had enough money to buy a couple watches maybe it would make the decision easier.

Any info out there on ADs in Qatar?

·
Registered
15,302 Posts
While I prefer either solid gold or all stainless, TT GMT is a fine choice to cover
both bases, if you do not have a SS or Gold watch.
Both - TT and SS GMTIIc are fantastic watches, but I think this decision depends
a LOT what other watches are in your collection.
If you already own a gold, or other TT watch - my vote is SS,
if you do not have a SS or all golf watch - my vote is TT.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
if you do not have a SS or all golf watch - my vote is TT.

MAN !!! You Florida guys always rubbing it in about the weather to us Northerners....an all Golf Watch ! Too much. :lol::wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My internet connection is pretty slow out here and I wasn't previously able to download the extraordinary wrist shots you guys provided. Unfortunately it doesn't make my decision any easier. Now I want both watches, a lot! Rolex seems as good an investment as any right now, right? This is how my rationalization process starts. First I tell myself $4k max, then $5k...can I get a $6k, sold to the guy with no self-control.

I own a brushed SS Tag S/el (black face) and a TT quartz Seiko with a TT bezel and a white face. The Tag is pretty nice but the Seiko, in my opinion, doesn't really factor into this equation. In passing, the TT watch seems to draw the occasional comment. My Tag is fairly unassumming.

Any info on dealers in Qatar?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts