WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsing through ebay, I noticed that older GMTs have at least 3 Fold Over Clasp with Safety. There's the "short" type, a full length(like Sub) and a "short" type with the rolex crown on the safety part of the clasp. My GMT has a full length clasp. Are they all correct?
I'm especially interested in the 3rd type. Any info?
Can I leave a link to that ebay auction, to show the pic?
Mike

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Hi Mike,

I was only aware of two clasps but knowing Rolex there probably many variations.:001_rolleyes:

These were both short as the GMT doesn't have the divers extension.

One was smooth like my T series and U series and the the later GMT's,possibly when they went to SELs,(Solid End Links) had the pattern continue as if it were the bracelet.

U series

T Series

And a patterned long one off my D Series Sub (Submariner pictured)

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
Here's a shot of a modern flip lock GMT II clasp:

Like Aaron, I thought there were essentially two types of clasps found on the GMT Master - the non-flip lock style which Aaron first shows in his post, and the more modern flip lock version which I've shown above. Of course, if you count the Daytona style clasp found on the new ceramic bezel GMT Master II, then there are indeed three. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My 1991 GMT II (E-series) has the same short clasp as in Aarons' pic.
I really like that it's a tool watch like my Sub and SD, but without the fliplock so it retains a different look and feel. When i first got it i thought i would buy the short fliplock bracelet seen on later models, but i love it now and would never change it.
Check out the Martin Skeet & Nick Urul book 'Vintage Rolex Sports Models' for more detail on the evolution of the GMT.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My GMT has a Sub clasp with the diver extension. The code on the bracelet seems to match the year so I hope it's original to the watch or maybe it was swapped out at some point.
I'm gonna try and post that ebay pic.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at some auctions I see the full length clasps are pretty common on GMTs. I can't tell if there's a diver extension on some of them or not.
As you can tell from the pic it's not a modern GMT/Daytona clasp.
Mike

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:)

I am not an expert , but I would assume the long clasp that would include the divers extention would not be original to the GMT. I could be wrong, i am several times a day:biggrin: but I've only seen that when bracelets were swapped. hope I'm wrong.

diver88:)

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
:)

I am not an expert , but I would assume the long clasp that would include the divers extention would not be original to the GMT. I could be wrong, i am several times a day:biggrin: but I've only seen that when bracelets were swapped. hope I'm wrong.

diver88:)
You are correct Diver - but those last photos of the black bezel GMT that Brooklyn posted have the correct clasp - there's no dive extension in that clasp. It's shorter than the Submariner clasp. Perhaps that's the point of confusion?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But what about the Rolex crown on the safety flap? How often do you see them? I'm very interested in that particular design. Does anyone on this forum have that kind of clasp, on any Rolex?
Mike

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
But what about the Rolex crown on the safety flap? How often do you see them? I'm very interested in that particular design. Does anyone on this forum have that kind of clasp, on any Rolex?
Mike
Hi Mike,

The clasp you have shown is the correct length,as John said,and I dont see any divers extensions.That is a another folded section and in the case of an SEL should have a little "O" that you press to release the extension.That is why the clasp on my Sub has the longer clasp as shown in the above photo.

Unfortunately I dont have any photos of open clasps of both style Submariners,showing the old (and 14060m non date Sub), and the new style,as I had a photo host clean out.:sad:

As for the crown on the clasp lock I have never seen that :blink:but I must admitt I have had little to do with the 2000 and on GMT Master IIs.I would have thought that they were all similar to John's GMT Master II,photo above.:confused1:Don't panic yet as there are some variations and service items with Rolex parts.

It might be worth getting a survey of our GMT members to see where the crown is on the clasp.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Reference 1675/16750 clasp,

Reference 16710 and 116710,

Depending on reference, a divers clasp (93150) can be a correct option,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mike
Do you have a link or an image of the clasp you're talking about? Otherwise, it's really sounding like the ref 116710 (the GMT IIc). See the image that Mike posted.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I posted the image. Take a look at the 3 pics of the GMT on page 1 of this post. It's the third picture.
BM, I've seen a few GMT IIs from your era and I've never seen a clasp with the coronet on the fliplock.:confused1: That's not to say it's not correct, perhaps a different variation, but all I've seen have been as on the more modern pieces.

I do believe the coronet on the fliplock was a feature of early Zenith Daytonas untill about 2002 though when the coronet was brought onto the clasp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts