WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading somewhere on this forum, is that if you want a new bezel insert for a GMT, you should go to an AD. I went to one near me and the guy was oblivious about the whole thing. He told me I should call Rolex because he can't order parts, save a link or two. The nincompoop didn't even know that the insert was interchangeable. He told me I have to get a whole new bezel. What a clueless schmuck.
So where can I get an original Pepsi bezel? Any help is appreciated.
Mike

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
I remember reading somewhere on this forum, is that if you want a new bezel insert for a GMT, you should go to an AD. I went to one near me and the guy was oblivious about the whole thing. He told me I should call Rolex because he can't order parts, save a link or two. The nincompoop didn't even know that the insert was interchangeable. He told me I have to get a whole new bezel. What a clueless schmuck.
So where can I get an original Pepsi bezel? Any help is appreciated.
Mike

Rolex USA in NYC can help....but they will want your old bezel insert in exchange.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
When i bought my pre-owned GMT, i asked my AD if they could order the Pepsi bezel for me, they did so without charge, and didn't ask to keep the red/black one.
It concerns me that we here at WTF seem to have such vastly differing experiences of AD's.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey Mike,

I'd find another dealer to have them order it for you. Rolex will most certainly send the insert to an AD (I've ordered them for my Sub before). Also, some AD's charge an upcharge for the part, so do be careful of that. The sub insert was $55. The 2 tone pepsi may be a little more, but I'd expect not too much, so you should expect in in the 60 buck or so range. As John said, the other option is sending it to Rolex, but then you'll have shipping too (they won't ship the part directly to you.)

Just FYI, when you go into the AD to order it, make sure you take the watch in (or your warranty paper). They will require the SN. My dealer allowed me to just give them the number as I know him, but I believe Rolex does tell the dealers they have to confirm you actually have the watch (so the part doesn't end up on a fake I'd imaging), so taking the watch in will keep you from making an unnecessary trip.

Good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey BrooklynM,

Occasionally I'll stop in at the local chapter of a national chain which we will refer to here as "J". They have a greatselection and good coffee, but not much more. Different sales people there have told me that all Rolex work must be sent back to Rolex. When I had enquired about the interchangeability of bezels, I was told that they would only be replaced only by Rolex, at Rolex.
Perhaps "J" doesn't service Rolex at all, or possibly just not in the Pittsburgh area.

Well, that was several years ago before I bought my GMT II. The GMT II which I currently own came w/ a "Coke" bezel. I had the AD order and install a black bezel, which he did for free, allowing me to keep the one he removed. Just last week he ordered me a "Pepsi" bezel. I ave to pay for the bezel, but the installation will be free.
He was busy and unsure of the exact cost, but estimated it at 60 to $80.

Tempus Fugit,
Trainer

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey BrooklynM,

Occasionally I'll stop in at the local chapter of a national chain which we will refer to here as "J". They have a greatselection and good coffee, but not much more. Different sales people there have told me that all Rolex work must be sent back to Rolex. When I had enquired about the interchangeability of bezels, I was told that they would only be replaced only by Rolex, at Rolex.
Perhaps "J" doesn't service Rolex at all, or possibly just not in the Pittsburgh area.

Well, that was several years ago before I bought my GMT II. The GMT II which I currently own came w/ a "Coke" bezel. I had the AD order and install a black bezel, which he did for free, allowing me to keep the one he removed. Just last week he ordered me a "Pepsi" bezel. I ave to pay for the bezel, but the installation will be free.
He was busy and unsure of the exact cost, but estimated it at 60 to $80.

Tempus Fugit,
Trainer
Amazing how a nat'l chain can be so different area to area. That same chain will order the bezels & have them shipped into the stores all day long here. However, the bezels & links are about all that Rolex will ship into the AD's.. :confused1:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Here's a thing that works:

You take your GMT to the service WITHOUT the bezel insert. Tell them that you somehow lost it.

They have no other alternatives but to replace the insert with an original. I've heard from various sources that this works.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Why would they take the original to begin with? It's your watch, and if you purchase a second one, why not have two?

It's standard proceedure at Rolex....they want to make sure they control the supply of spare parts and where they are going.

Bezel inserts aren't as big of an issue as are dials. I'd LOVE to get a SuperLuminova Red Submariner 1680 replacement dial for my Red Sub (you can get them from Rolex in Geneva) but I'd have to turn over my original dial making my 20k watch worth about a quarter of it's current value. :scared: :cursing:

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
It's standard proceedure at Rolex....they want to make sure they control the supply of spare parts and where they are going.

Bezel inserts aren't as big of an issue as are dials. I'd LOVE to get a SuperLuminova Red Submariner 1680 replacement dial for my Red Sub (you can get them from Rolex in Geneva) but I'd have to turn over my original dial making my 20k watch worth about a quarter of it's current value. :scared: :cursing:
ACK! That is horrible. I would keep it original as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts

That is terrible!

There are a lot of bright, enterprising folk at this site.
Somewhere out there is a corrupt, or curruptable, disgruntled Rolex employee who sleuths around the dark seedy side of Geneva.
Whether for the danger, a few Krona, or both, this mole could obtain the fore-mention Red Sub Dial, as well as Basel '08 insider information.

Well Basel '08 might not be possible, but if we knew of someone who would be in Basel this year!

Seriously! I think military secrets and arms components are more easily obtainable than information and parts on and for a Rolex.

Tempus Fugit,

Trainer

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Rolex seems to have a patchwork of different policies around the globe regarding parts. I've heard that ADs in the UK can get parts. Maybe a forum member can confirm this? If so, you can always head over there for a vacation and get some bezel inserts. Baring that maybe you can contact one and see what they will do for ya?

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Rolex seems to have a patchwork of different policies around the globe regarding parts. I've heard that ADs in the UK can get parts. Maybe a forum member can confirm this? If so, you can always head over there for a vacation and get some bezel inserts. Baring that maybe you can contact one and see what they will do for ya?
That is correct - UK Rolex dealers can order bracelets, clasps, dials...about anything they want. With no turn in policy. :001_tt2:

·
Registered
100 Posts
That is correct - UK Rolex dealers can order bracelets, clasps, dials...about anything they want. With no turn in policy. :001_tt2:

Interesting.

I'd love to have a SD w/ the new solid link & clasp bracelet.

I'm sort of waiting for Basel '08 to see what changes are in store for the SD, but am also a little afraid of what some of those changes might be.

How fortunate we are to have the good Lord provide us with these problems!

Tempus fugit,
Trainer

·
Registered
823 Posts
Bezel and part numbers .pdf I posted here: http://members.aol.com/sheldons4/pdf/16xxxBezelParts.pdf Be sure to right click on the link and save it to your desktop. Having these part numbers is essential when trying to get these. Try looking for a watchmaker with a parts account who can order these. The part numbers will also help prepare you for the counter-help hazing that happens at an AD.

-Sheldon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts