WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can check this thing out at,
http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/locate.aspx

Gibson has just made one of the most revolutionary technological advances in a guitar ever! Tomorrow, December 7th the new "Robot Guitar" will be rolled out around the world. The above link will let you know which stores they will be found at and there is a strict limit to 10 per store.

In a nut shell this is what it is. A Gibson Les Paul that is outfitted with a device that will cause the guitar to tune itself in seconds. A nob found in the location of the volume and tone nobs will activate the device and not only in the open E standard tuning but in several alternate tunings! Gibson did not release a price at the above link but you can count on it not being cheap!

The lowest priced Les Paul is in the $1,000.00 range. Add to that whatever Gibson is going to charge for the robotics in the tuners and also add that there is a limited run on this first run, and it is going to be up there.

Any of you that have played live knows what it is like at times to keep a good tune on your guitar all the way through a gig. It is constant work. This will tune itself at your command, in seconds. That is just awesome!

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
You can check this thing out at,
http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/locate.aspx

Gibson has just made one of the most revolutionary technological advances in a guitar ever! Tomorrow, December 7th the new "Robot Guitar" will be rolled out around the world. The above link will let you know which stores they will be found at and there is a strict limit to 10 per store.

In a nut shell this is what it is. A Gibson Les Paul that is outfitted with a device that will cause the guitar to tune itself in seconds. A nob found in the location of the volume and tone nobs will activate the device and not only in the open E standard tuning but in several alternate tunings! Gibson did not release a price at the above link but you can count on it not being cheap!

The lowest priced Les Paul is in the $1,000.00 range. Add to that whatever Gibson is going to charge for the robotics in the tuners and also add that there is a limited run on this first run, and it is going to be up there.

Any of you that have played live knows what it is like at times to keep a good tune on your guitar all the way through a gig. It is constant work. This will tune itself at your command, in seconds. That is just awesome!
The technology has actually been around for about ten years. The biggest difference is that, previous to this, the tuning was done at the bridge.

I hate to say it, but it's way too gimmicky. I played locally for ten years, and tuning just isn't as big a chore as Gibson is making it out to be. The day a guitarist is too lazy to tune his guitar is the day he needs to hang it up his guitars and start buyin' watches...

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:)

Jimmy Page needs one of these, seems like he's got an G or B out of tune every time I see him play live.:blink:

the alternate tuning aspect is what sounds pretty cool. I play standard tuning 99% of the time, but every now and then it's nice to change on my old Tele with 13ga strings.:cool1:

I may get a Les Paul one day but probably not the self tuner....

:):)
diver88

·
Registered
748 Posts
The old Steinberger Trans-trem was great for instant alternate tunings...

·
Banned
2,453 Posts
Hey Diver88, or anyone else,I've got a mint Les Paul for sale,it is flawless,it's the 1960 classic with the slim neck and it's got a killer flame pattern on the honeyburst maple top and blond mahogany back,also I've got a mint American strat with rosewood and classic sunburst that I'd part with.Sorry about this shameless plug,that robot gibson seems really cool,thanks for that interesting link Charlie.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Hey Diver88, or anyone else,I've got a mint Les Paul for sale,it is flawless,it's the 1960 classic with the slim neck and it's got a killer flame pattern on the honeyburst maple top and blond mahogany back,also I've got a mint American strat with rosewood and classic sunburst that I'd part with.Sorry about this shameless plug,that robot gibson seems really cool,thanks for that interesting link Charlie.
I've had a few Les Pauls in my day; always prefered a Strat or Tele.

And, despite needing it like I need another hole in the head, what are you askin' for the Strat?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If God wanted to fly he would have given him wings??

The technology has actually been around for about ten years. The biggest difference is that, previous to this, the tuning was done at the bridge.

I hate to say it, but it's way too gimmicky. I played locally for ten years, and tuning just isn't as big a chore as Gibson is making it out to be. The day a guitarist is too lazy to tune his guitar is the day he needs to hang it up his guitars and start buyin' watches...
Right you are on tuning at the bridge. This is much smaller and faster. I have been playing for over 30 years and with that I can honestly say lazy has nothing to do with it. If that were the case no body including me would pay roadies!:sneaky2: Which many, many many of us have done. The same could be said about effect pedals, or any other advances. Heck, when I first started the PA was only used for voice and now it is unthinkable not to mike everything through a mixer.

What? If God had wanted man to fly he would have given him wings?:lol:
A few other lazy inovations I can think of since I first started driving are things that are standard equipment now like, automatic transmissions, electric windows, and door locks, cruise control, etc. Hey Mr. Beck (Jeff) I saw you hand off your axe to a roadie when you broke that string. Why did you not take the time to change it on stage? Are you lazy or something! LOL, I don't think so. And, that little guy that only has one guitar at his local club breaks one in the middle of a set and has not back up or roadie, this would be great for him too.

If it helps me get the job done it is for me. Not Lazy, just getting it done. While I am sure I am not going to be 1st in line (and if I were still making my living that way I may be) if the technology runs like computers and the pricing comes down, I am going for it.

Just call me lazy:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I needed to hear about what you had for sale long before Christmas:blush:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
:)

Jimmy Page needs one of these, seems like he's got an G or B out of tune every time I see him play live.:blink:

the alternate tuning aspect is what sounds pretty cool. I play standard tuning 99% of the time, but every now and then it's nice to change on my old Tele with 13ga strings.:cool1:

I may get a Les Paul one day but probably not the self tuner....

:):)
diver88
I think the alternate tunings are a real advancement. Many if not most that play slide do so in some common tunings and the not turning around to grab another axe between songs would be very helpful. But on the other hand I have done that just for the different sound of say my SG to Stat. The original and now old bridge design left much to be desired. It was not all that great and it was somewhat slow. It remains to be seen if this ends up being all Gibson claims. But, they have been working at it pretty much hush hush for years and I am willing to bet they did not turn it loose until it worked pretty darn good! It is rumored to be super fast. Full tunings even on complete string changes in an incredible short time. Which brings the new string thing to mind. Change just one string on stage and you work you butt off for a little while. You would be able to tweak between every song. I like the the possibilities.

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
So I have to ask..........And I do so, because I am not a musician.

Is the self tuning feature marketing, or is this really needed? I would think most musicians would want to tune their own guitar, or any other piece of equipment for that matter, to the tone they feel is the correct, and only their ears can determine that, and they adjust accordingly. How can a machine mimick this?

·
Registered
3,556 Posts

Is the self tuning feature marketing, or is this really needed? I would think most musicians would want to tune their own guitar, or any other piece of equipment for that matter, to the tone they feel is the correct, and only their ears can determine that, and they adjust accordingly. How can a machine mimick this?
Actually, tuning a guitar has very little to do with tone. It has to with the pitch of the strings (the A string, for instance, is 440 Hz when properly tuned).

When I played, I used a tuner; basically a device to tell me when the strings were tightened to the proper pitch. Very few people can do that by ear, because it requires getting the pitch of the A string, say, to exactly 440 Hz.

Unless Gibson licenses this (which they likely won't do), it's got no way to permeate the rest of the industry, which is the only way to make real money, which will thereby guarantee that the technology is successful...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Steve points out that tune and tone is apples and oranges. As far as tone goes musicians are like watch collectors. Different models and or brands for different tones (and looks). When it comes to tune, it is either in tune or it is not. Fifty years ago the only tuners around were analog boxes the smallest around the size of a shoe box that worked very well and cost mega bucks. Thus, not many small bands (smaller than a high school band) had one of these things. Too expensive and too big. While you can still pick up expensive tuners you can find affordable small digital tuners for the cost of a twelve pack of coke. Most of us would just not be without one.

Will there be a market for this? I think so but there are a couple factors that will drive this besides including what Steve has pointed out. One, does it really work? Two, is it cost prohibitive? I called a buddy of mine in Washington, DC last night and he said it was awesome! He also said Gibson was out to lunch the day they decided what color they were going to use on the first model and in his HO it was ugly. I have not seen one in a store yet however I have seen the pictures of it and I agree with him. If it were affordable to my budget today, I would wait until they offered something else that was pleasing to my eye. My guess is, if this causes the instrument cost to go up by lets say 50% or more there are going to be few takers. If the technology comes down in price over a period of time I think many will jump on it as just another piece of equipment (like tuners) that will be very helpful in real life. Like the tuners of old, when I started playing I did not know anyone that laid out over $1000 for an analog tuner and did the by ear thing. Today, everybody in the band has at least one.

In the present and near future I think because it works but expensive, it will have some real but limited success. Down the road say 10 years or more, it may be as common as the cruise control on cars. Or like today's tuners, everybody will have one.

And of course the device does not have to be used all the time. For alternate tunings that are not already programed in these guitars can be tuned the old time proven fashion of by hand and tuner or by hand and ear.

Back to the tone thing. Instruments made of wood will give off different tones as to the type of wood and configurations that are used. Guitars that are solid wood will sound drastically different than hollow body guitars and even when the exact same design and pickups (the mikes that pick up the sound of the strings on electric guitars) a guitar body made of ash will sound different than one made of adder. Adding things on or in the guitar can have an effect also. If this causes a negative effect on the tone of the instrument, it will die. That is something I am really interested in hearing when the reviews come out from real players and not marketers.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Will there be a market for this?
The problem with Gibson is that, whether there's a market for it or not won't really matter. Gibson's not known for licensing its' "ground-breaking" technology.

Let's say I wanted to get the system. Well, I'm a Strat player. Am I going to be willing to give up the tone and feel of my Strats in order to get a robotic tuner on a Les Paul? Not a chance.

They may, in time, let it out, or some Asian company will reverse-engineer it and develop their own version. But I think the appeal will be limited, and the cost will likely always be at a point where people ask themselves "Or should I just get a Boss TU-2?" (which is a type of tuner)...

·
Registered
369 Posts
There have actually been other "electronic" tuning systems available but this is one of the first to actually integrate into the guitar seamlessly. I believe Jimmy Page had system bolted on to one of his Les Pauls years ago. Jimmy used a lot of alternate tunings back in the day. Which is really where I see the benefit. For cover bands or anyone using multiple tunings it makes life a lot easier. Me, I'm a guitar addict as well as a watch addict so I prefer to have multiple guitars set up for different tunings. Well, that's how I justify all my guitars to the wife anyhow :wink:

Budman

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
strat vs les paul

The problem with Gibson is that, whether there's a market for it or not won't really matter. Gibson's not known for licensing its' "ground-breaking" technology.

Let's say I wanted to get the system. Well, I'm a Strat player. Am I going to be willing to give up the tone and feel of my Strats in order to get a robotic tuner on a Les Paul? Not a chance.

They may, in time, let it out, or some Asian company will reverse-engineer it and develop their own version. But I think the appeal will be limited, and the cost will likely always be at a point where people ask themselves "Or should I just get a Boss TU-2?" (which is a type of tuner)...

I can't blame you for not wanting to give up the tone and feel of your strat for robotics on a les paul. I wouldn't either if the tone of the strat is what I was looking for. That is why when I am playing my strat the lp is on the stand. I simply want that hue that comes from the strat single coils. On the other hand, when the strat is on the stand it is because I want the tone that comes from the lp. They are two different animals indeed with two completely different sounds. The fact is, I play my strat about 75% more than I do my lp. But that has to do with what I am looking for at the moment. Lol, I just remembered my avatar has me with my strat! But if I want extreme warm or extreme bite with limited or no effects the lp gets picked up. This single coils that give that wonderful sound that made fender famous are great, but they are never going to bottom out a good les pauls humbuckers. I don't want to do without either. That is why I own both.

Comfort is a different thing. When it comes to that the strat wins walking away from it every time. Even the less heavy lp studio is an anvil compared to a strat.

Now, once you are playing with about 80-90% of your sound digitized by effects, it really doesn't make a difference cause you killed everything that the raw strat or lp had to give anyway.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
My Les Pauls have come and gone.

My Strats, however, remain...

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts