WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Gevril First Generation Automatic watch and was courious about a different bezel. As I searched I kept seeing the same models that have a disclaimer of "no serial number" So my question is if there were only 500 made then what is the deal? How can there be only 500 made and there are so many for sale without serial numbers. Seems that a caseback change is the only difference (meaning caseback without serial number) Or did I hear Tim Temple wrong when I bought it?:confused1:

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
I'm not intimately familiar with that particular model. However, gray market pieces sometimes have the serial number removed to protect the ADs who sell off their inventory.
Or the watches may not be authentic.

Also, Gevril/GV2 plays a silly game with its watches. They hype them as LEs - and number the cases - then declare another production run with a different model number and use the same cases and numbers! Occassionally, they'll make a minute dial change and call it a whole new watch.

This was confirmed by an AD so I'm not talking out of my hat. My Sports GV2 was supposedly a limited edition of 500 = but it's been available (and still is) all over the net for at least three years and probably more like four!

Gevril makes decent watches, but this "scam" has turned me off to the brand - though I really like my watch.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not intimately familiar with that particular model. However, gray market pieces sometimes have the serial number removed to protect the ADs who sell off their inventory.
Or the watches may not be authentic.

Also, Gevril/GV2 plays a silly game with its watches. They hype them as LEs - and number the cases - then declare another production run with a different model number and use the same cases and numbers! Occassionally, they'll make a minute dial change and call it a whole new watch.

This was confirmed by an AD so I'm not talking out of my hat. My Sports GV2 was supposedly a limited edition of 500 = but it's been available (and still is) all over the net for at least three years and probably more like four!

Gevril makes decent watches, but this "scam" has turned me off to the brand - though I really like my watch.
AHHH!!! Should have known(figured it out) I knew that the deal I got was too goog to be true. I do like the watch though. Got a really good deal (maybe not...looks to be about the same price I paid back in Nov of last year) thanks Bos for the input/insight.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ok I found my original Gevril book. The book is from the 90s it is not the "Coffee table book" seen on Tv. But I hope some of this helps .If I remember right the A.P. Gevril went bankrupt before it was in full swing so I don't think everything in this book actually made it to production.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
I never understood the LE deal with the Gevrils. What's the point?
Marketing pure and simple.
Limited edition status gives it more status - kind of like the Invicta Limited Editions of 6,000 watches! I have a limited edition Bradley quartz Donald Duck birthday watch that's one of 12,000 pieces!

:D:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts