WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Thanks for reading my post. I am relatively new to the forum but have appreciated the advice I have been given. I have always wanted a 'doctor's' watch to add to my (small) collection. I missed out on a couple recently and am looking at this one---is is a bit more money than I wanted to spend but it looks 'special'---just wanted some thoughts as to whether it is worth the $2800 asking price---thanks again Brian (dogs name is jodybeth!) Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Silver
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

·
Registered
598 Posts
I respectfully differ - and I'm a fan of Gallets. That is a on the stiff side for a stainless steel chronograph - not out of the ballpark, but definitely a hefty dealer markup. This watch in good shape would come in below $2K on Ebay. Of course one pays for a reputable dealer, a guarantee and all of the things you don't get on the 'bay. I'd insist on detailed dial and movement pictures before accepting that price.

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
Thank you, Lou! I was a little surprised myself at how high those numbers were.
I know very little about Gallet watches and defer to your experience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
additional images for Lou--thanks!

Hello Lou--thanks for you help---Like I said, I have always wanted a doctor's watch--this one is a little steep for my budget @ 2800---The seller has a good reputation and did show multiple images---her did mention some oxidation on the inside of the case---Inexperienced as a collector--but I wondered if oxidation should happen on stainless steel---thanks for all your help Watch Clock Analog watch Rim Circle
Dishware Tableware Automotive lighting Circle Serveware
Watch Analog watch Natural material Silver Clock
Automotive lighting Eyewear Gas Personal protective equipment Tints and shades
:biggrin:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Wombat--that is a fine post---love the Longines---missed out on a good one recently---the Gallet is a nice one with a 'military' working feel----LouS said it was a bit pricey---and I just am not sure why stainless steel would 'oxidize'--bet, Brian (AKA Jodybeth)

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Brian - I snagged that Longines from Greg a few months back. The Longines forum collectors have seen two Admiral Pulsometers in gold filled in the last few years, but this is the only solid gold that any of us can remember. Bonus was the complete set of box & papers.

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
It will oxidize if the chromium content of the steel is low enough.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Hi
All I can add is that Gallet chronographs were ultra high quality, beautifully made and pioneers in chronograph design.
The price seems about right.

Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.