WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though this isn't a mechanical wonder, it is still a fun and nice looking piece IMO.

Case material: Solid stainless steel case with screw down case back
Case dimensions: 41mm (1 3/5") in diameter, 45mm (1 3/4") including the crown; 14mm (3/5") in thickness
Movement: Citizen Eco Drive movement Crystal type: Scratch resistant mineral crystal Crown: Push and pull crown Water resistant: 30 meters

Additional features: Minute repeater; Perpetual calendar; Dual time; 2 alarms; Date display; Month display Warranty: 5 year warranty on all Citizen watches Items included: Owner's manual, Citizen warranty material"

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
I was at Sears a couple of months ago and saw one in the clearance case for 70% plus an extra 10%off.
At the ridiculously low price I asked to have a look and was quite impressed and said I'd take it.
Well it turns out that they had no box or instructions so I balked.
I went home and went to the Citizen website and took a look at the instructions for the watch(they have great interactive instructions on line) and saw that it wasn't that difficult to set and use and went back the next day to "steal" the watch for next to nothing.
But someone else got there first!:cursing::crying:

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Despite not being a mechanical wonder, the high quality in workmanship is obvious.
I love the way the strap "hugs" the shape of the case. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Eco-drive...........best next thing to an auto or a mechanical? :) good looking piece

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I really do like that watch, especially now that I have a Citizen with complications. I really can appreciate how well that watch must function based on my 8700.

However, unless it is really loud, the only thing that it would do is annoy the people around me because I wouldn't be able to hear it.

Even twenty years ago, I was unable to hear beeping watches.

When people say it "gongs", what precisely do they mean?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I'd never hear it then, but that hasn't stopped me from buying no fewer than seven watches with alarms. I just don't set them. It saves batteries. :D

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
An astute observation.

At least I can blame mine on a physical impairment.

I'm not sure what boscoe's excuse is. Well, I do know, but I'm not going to repeat it. :wink:

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
An astute observation.

At least I can blame mine on a physical impairment.

I'm not sure what boscoe's excuse is. Well, I do know, but I'm not going to repeat it. :wink:
I don't know the severity of your hearing loss, but it's an interesting story with me. I used to be into high-end audio for many years before becoming a WIS. Due to the many years of abusing my ears listening to loud, concert level music, I not only developed slight hearing loss, but the "dreaded" tinnitus as well (ringing in the ears and sensitivity to loud noise at certain frequencies). To make a long story short, my interest in audio quickly shifted to watch collecting (although I still love my music, but can't enjoy it in the same way that I used to). Sometimes when one door closes, another one opens! :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
By the time I left Vietnam at nineteen, I had the hearing of a sixty year old.

Now, I'm fifty-eight and things haven't improved with time and I also now have tinnitus.

You can't know what you have never experienced, but I don't think the ringing could be much louder than it is.

I live with it though.

There are worse conditions.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
By the time I left Vietnam at nineteen, I had the hearing of a sixty year old.

Now, I'm fifty-eight and things haven't improved with time and I also now have tinnitus.

You can't know what you have never experienced, but I don't think the ringing could be much louder than it is.

I live with it though.

There are worse conditions.
My step-father and several of his friends were in Vietnam, with the NZ artillery Battery (161 BTY), and their hearing is pretty stuffed too. (so's mine, not quite as bad, but annoying... :sad: Still, as you said, could be a lot worse, so not complaining).
I too saw this Citizen Eco-drive on sale (about half price) but just didn't have the money so had to pass up on what looks like a great watch. Maybe next time..?

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
The Eco-Drives from Citizen and Solar Panels with Casio are great improvements over batter replacements, and although not right now, I think could challenge the automatics as the price of the autos continue to rise. All those features, great accuracy (some are atomic), and a fantastic price, are going to be a challenge in the future. Just my humble opinion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts