WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys!

Been a while since my last visit here. Just found these watches belonging to my father/grandfather. Guess they need to be serviced, but after manual winding they all seem to be working fine.
The Longines was a present to my father from the airlines company he worked for, and the IWC was my mother's present to him. The Zenith pocketwatch probably my grandfathers, but I'm not quite sure.
Not planing to sell them, but just wondering what they might be worth...

Cheers!

Alex

07.jpg 09.jpg 15.jpg 21.jpg 22.jpg

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
The IWC is probably a manual wind caliber 89 inside a solid gold case and would easily sell for $1500 - more if cleaned up and serviced (assuming it is 18ct). I'd want to see better pictures to tell if the dial is original or not.

The Longines could be either a gold filled or solid 14ct case which would affect the value quite a lot. If solid gold, it's at least $450 based on the scrap value. If gold filled, maybe $150 - $200 at best. Looks like a manual wind from the 60's, probably a caliber 370 or maybe a 30L. From the picture it might be a refinished dial. Both are pretty nice watches that are even cooler as heirlooms.

Couldn't tell you squat about a pocketwatch beyond they don't sell for much if they aren't solid gold.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just talked to my father about the two wristwatches. The Longines was just one of many (not sure about exact quantity, but lets say 50-100 pieces) my father bought in a store in Switzerland in 1974 for the airlines company he worked for (all were engraved and given as presents to employees I guess), and the IWC was bought in Belgrade, Serbia (Yugoslavia) in 1966. Both are all original... at least father doesn't recall servicing them or changing any parts on them. I also have no idea if they are gold or not. Here are a few more pics. Sorry, I don't have a camera. These were taken with my cell phone. Better pics might come in about a week if I borrow a decent camera.
BOTH.jpg BOTH2.jpg LONGINES1.jpg LONGINES2.jpg LONGINES3.jpg

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If I'm seeing the casebacks correctly (photo quality issues), both watch appear to be solid gold and not gold filled.

Lovely pair.
I would have them serviced and wear them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx :)

I'll see they get serviced in the near future. Hopefully I'll find out if they are gold or not, too.

By the way, since they are all manual wind, how do I know when to stop winding them in order not to damage the movement?

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
The crown won't rotate anymore when they're fully wound.

I'm sure the Longines is a refinished dial because the SWISS MADE is too high and too far apart. The dealer might have had it done before they sold it.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Those are real treasures in my view, regardless of monetary value.

Reactions: SAM2

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Those are real treasures in my view, regardless of monetary value.
And I could not agree more! Any family heirloom is very special. The fact they are from well-established companies is mere icing on the cake. Warmest congratulations.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx guys! :)

I'm wearing the IWC today for the first time and can't seem to take my eyes off of it. Trying not to stare too much while driving, though. ;)
Before I have it restored, I'd like to replace the leather strap while keeping the original IWC clasp. Will have to find a decent place where they will service all of them. Some people tend to be pretty careless while repairing watches over here where I live so I'll have to be careful where I take them for service. I wouldn't like something to happen to (one of) them.

Any idea on how much it might cost me to have them serviced?
wave2.gif

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just wondering... if I take it to have it serviced, Ulackfocus mentioned price of the watch will increase. But what if they change the crystal, buckle (which is also a bit damaged), strap...? Isn't the watch going to lose on its value in that case? Or to put it simply: Is the price gonna go up only if they service it while keeping all the old parts?

Thanx!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
One of the people here far more experienced in collecting vintage watches than me can provide better insight, but my impression is that watch collecting does not place too high a value on "numbers matching all original". Condition and timekeeping are far more important, and replacing a heavily scratched or broken crystal will always increase the value, as will having the lubrication service performed (because the next guy won't have to).

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Like tc said, there are parts that are replaced under normal maintenance - mainsprings, crystals, etc. Use authentic and correct parts for any other necessary changes.

The whole "numbers matching" thing doesn't apply to most watches except some old pocketwatches. Other brands, like Rolex, have codes. The serial number will say when it was produced, and then the codes should all match to that time (ie: which quarter of the year).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So basically if authorised IWC dealer here where I live for some reason doesn't (want to) service my watch and I go to some unauthorised person, he most likely won't be using authentic IWC parts and, therefore, the watch (although in better condition after service) will lose in value?

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
So basically if authorised IWC dealer here where I live for some reason doesn't (want to) service my watch and I go to some unauthorised person, he most likely won't be using authentic IWC parts and, therefore, the watch (although in better condition after service) will lose in value?
No, you don't have to use an authorized IWC dealer. Parts for that watch are available, just not as easy to find as it is for most movements.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts