WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my dad's and he handed me this Hamilton in a baggie and said he bought it years ago on the bay and had forgot about it. I wound it and it took off. The serial # put's it at 1918 from what I see and it is a 974 model. Now the bad news, It is missing the back and if I pull the stem up it rotates free but hands don't move. I don't think it is a front set as I can't tell if the front comes off. Where would I start to find a back for this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
A 974 is pendent set so pulling the stem should do the trick but it's possible that it's just gunked up and needs to be cleaned. It's a size 16 watch so you may need to look for a new case. Finding a matching back would be very hard I think.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Content removed by the person to whom the intellectual property belongs due to disagreement with site policy and to avoid allowing the site owner to exploit this said content for his selfish monetary gain

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
You d' man, Ben!:thumbup1:

What tells you it's lever set? The case, serial number.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Content removed by the person to whom the intellectual property belongs due to disagreement with site policy and to avoid allowing the site owner to exploit this said content for his selfish monetary gain

·
Registered
507 Posts
The serial number is also a giveaway. The records show that this particular serial number is 974L, not 974P. It also indicates manufacture date after 8/12/20, not 1918.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow!!!!!!

Loads of information guy's thanks!!!!! I will look at the front closer as I have not had much time with it. I was also under the impression that all lever set fronts screwed off. Will keep you posted with what I find. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Nice watch! Hamilton PWs were my first love, horologically speaking.

I was also under the impression that all lever set fronts screwed off.
Unless someone recased it in the wrong style of case, yeah. 92 years is a long time, and some watches and cases have been paired and re-paired a number of times over the years.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bummer

Well I spent the day going over a few watches and then I pulled out the Hamilton. I had first wound it just a little to see if it ran and after reading the post's I popped the face off and set the time. I wound it slowly like I do all my older pieces and never give them full winding's. I felt the unmistakable feel of the mainspring slipping. I wound it to just the point of it slipping and hate it because it ran for 6 hours and seemed to keep good time.

So now the question, needing a case and a spring is this watch still suitable for repair or put in a parts bin? If I do repair it what would be a ballpark price? Also who do you recommend for this type work? Thanks for the great feedback!!!!

·
Registered
449 Posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts