WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was going through my parent's safe today and came across my grandpa's old watch. It is a Longine but I know absolutely nothing about it. On the back casing all it say is next to a little star "10K ROP Bezel Stainless Steel back" that is all the information on this watch. I don't want to take the back casing off so I was wondering if anyone could give me any information about this watch. Thank!

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
That's probably a 70's watch. The letters are RGP for rolled gold plate - not solid gold but a layer of gold rolled overtop of base metal like brass or steel. It might not have a name like Conquest or Admiral since many brands made generic watches. We'd have to see the inside of the caseback and movement to tell you any more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's probably a 70's watch. The letters are RGP for rolled gold plate - not solid gold but a layer of gold rolled overtop of base metal like brass or steel. It might not have a name like Conquest or Admiral since many brands made generic watches. We'd have to see the inside of the caseback and movement to tell you any more.

I wish I could tell you more info and take a picture of the inside of the casebak and movement. Since I don't have any idea of how to take the case off would it be pretty wise to leave it be as is or would taking the case off be pretty simple to remove and put back together?

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
The caseback should pop off using a sharp & firm bladed paring knife. Just work slowly and be careful - or take it to a watchmaker in your area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The caseback should pop off using a sharp & firm bladed paring knife. Just work slowly and be careful - or take it to a watchmaker in your area.
Let me see if I can pop it off and I'll post a picture if I can. Once off is it hard to put back together or does it just snap back on?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't get the case off. Gonna bring it to my watch guy where my Hamilton was purchased. Get him to tell me a bit more about it. I'll report back probably Monday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts