WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was looking through a trunk sitting the basement with my grandfather's effects. Surprisingly, I found a Longines Admiral automatic. As soon as I moved it around a little, it started right up. I looks to be in great shape, just needs to be cleaned up a bit, except for a crack in the crystal.

Here's few pictures.

The back of the case says "Longines-waterproof-anti-magnetic, shock-absorber-Swiss Made"

Any ballpark ideas of when it was made? I'm guessing the late 60s. Also, any recommendations as to where I could get this watch professionally refurbished?

Even if it isn't a noteworthy watch, it looks pretty cool to me, plus there's the sentimental aspect. The case itself looks like it could just be buffed and the dial still looks pristine, but the crystal needs to replaced.

Oh, and could the current crystal be replaced with a sapphire crystal?

Thanks!

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Don't know if a sapphire crystal can be found, but it's possible. That's a very late 60's or early/mid 70's watch with a caliber from the 50x series. Longines bought Record in 1961 and started rebadging Record's movements in the mid 60's. This one was originally a 195x. Be careful about polishing because you don't want to dull the crispness of the case edges. Nice watch and a great heirloom! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know if a sapphire crystal can be found, but it's possible. That's a very late 60's or early/mid 70's watch with a caliber from the 50x series. Longines bought Record in 1961 and started rebadging Record's movements in the mid 60's. This one was originally a 195x. Be careful about polishing because you don't want to dull the crispness of the case edges. Nice watch and a great heirloom! :thumbup1:

Thanks Ulackfocus. One more question. A local watch repair guy gave me this quote:

"A complete service+overhaul+new mainspring+hi-quality synthetic oil's+parts+polish+new Longines crystal+full 12 month warranty on running+time keeping would be $300.00"

Does that sound about right? Thanks

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Thanks Ulackfocus. One more question. A local watch repair guy gave me this quote:

"A complete service+overhaul+new mainspring+hi-quality synthetic oil's+parts+polish+new Longines crystal+full 12 month warranty on running+time keeping would be $300.00"

Does that sound about right? Thanks
A little expensive but not out of the ballpark. It really depends on how many parts the watch needs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.