WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off congrats to all the entries.... Some pretty cool designs.

I had to vote for myself for selfish reasons but I must say there are a couple designs that just stand out overall and viewing the results so far.. I am not alone....lol

If I did not vote for myself #16 by WatchFan1 would of got my vote. I think it captured the site watch perfectly and kick myself for not thinking of that....lol

Best caseback ever.... and I think LT should adopt the design is BHP's #13.... that is slick and could seriously see that on a LT in production.
Speaking of #13 BHP's overall design is pretty wicked. It is different in a cool futuristic kinda way.... kudos to you my friend for thinking way outside the box

I would also like to send a shout out to #18 by BR&N. This is a design i could see on a production LT. I really like the subtle LT logo pattern in the background.... brilliant and well executed.

These are the ones that stood out to me and have been wanting to pay compliments to.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Interesting in a way.... as I voted for one of the trailing entries, I now realize I might should have waited to see how the winds were blowing :) that way I would have used my vote for one of the leaders I would consider buying .

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Interesting in a way.... as I voted for one of the trailing entries, I now realize I might should have waited to see how the winds were blowing :) that way I would have used my vote for one of the leaders I would consider buying .
Yeah, I messed that up also. Jumped out of the box too fast.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
There's still plenty of time for any trailer to catch up :biggrin:

·
Registered
356 Posts
I was thinking it would be nice to have a top 3 (or whatever number is decided based on 19 entries) playoff so everyone gets a final say in the final design. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
What surprises me is that dangeruss didn't submit some cool new designs.
He used to help design stuff for lum-tec, and we saw some interesting concept watches from him in the past too.

I saw one chrono which was rejected, and was expecting something from him that would pass the rules, but nothing...

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I was kind of hoping one of the totally different from what is already out there designs - namely #13 would win. To me it's the only one that is a complete departure from the current Lum-Tec offerings, not that those are bad by any means, but if I'm going to spend money on a quote unquote Forum watch then it needs to have something different to offer me than just a new dial color. My opinion only of course, and that's precisely why it is being put to a vote!

·
Registered
360 Posts
What surprises me is that dangeruss didn't submit some cool new designs.
He used to help design stuff for lum-tec, and we saw some interesting concept watches from him in the past too.

I saw one chrono which was rejected, and was expecting something from him that would pass the rules, but nothing...
Too busy with "real" work to be honest. Sadly, there's not a design in this bunch that I would spend money on. The designs just are not that compelling to me. Plus, I'm not that much of a forum fanatic that I need, or desire a watch celebrating a social media outlet.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was kind of hoping one of the totally different from what is already out there designs - namely #13 would win. To me it's the only one that is a complete departure from the current Lum-Tec offerings, not that those are bad by any means, but if I'm going to spend money on a quote unquote Forum watch then it needs to have something different to offer me than just a new dial color. My opinion only of course, and that's precisely why it is being put to a vote!
yep #13 was my 2nd choice and is in the running but my first choice is way behind... lol bad on me i guess.. but if I was to buy a WTF watch it would have to be different ..

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
I hear ya' Brian and I can also appreciate & admire some of the designs that are outside the box.
Some of the designs I saw (even in the original thread before they were trimmed down to one entry)
were truly remarkable.
OTOH, I am glad (also for my selfish reasons, LOL ;) - that majority of voters are voting for traditional models :wink:
After all, many of us here like LUM-TEC....well,.... because they look undeniably 'like LUM-TEC at first glance' :thumbup1:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I guessed most of the designers were trying to fit within the current Lüm Tec design so that it could still remain as a regular series with minor changes to the dial. :T

·
Registered
482 Posts
I was thinking it would be nice to have a top 3 (or whatever number is decided based on 19 entries) playoff so everyone gets a final say in the final design. Just my 2 cents.
That's a brilliant idea but I feel a final vote between the top 2 would be better. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chris had the best idea (figures....lol)

this is from the original thread

Most of the designs submitted we can make or at least do something very close. Assuming we do not have the current parts supply we can show what we could do based on what is available / possible. I would like to see the top 3 maybe and i can modify them to work with what is available then we can vote for the best of those?
I like the idea that he could possibly show. That would be huge seeing an actual watch vs crude photoshop and or render.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I was kind of hoping one of the totally different from what is already out there designs
I'm glad someone else said it first.... When I first checked the vote tally and I saw the watch that was in the lead, I said "Really?" and had to go back and check the number again because I thought I was looking at the wrong entry. I guess I was just hoping that if the watch going to be a "Special Edition" that it would be different than anything currently offered by Lum-Tec.

I also sort of thought that Lum-Tec would create a Special Edition watch by taking elements they liked from all the submissions and having one of their designers come up with a watch or three and then have a vote. I mean, we're watch enthusiasts not watch designers and to impose such strict rules for a design contest in which many don't even have access to a graphics program and then expect a professional 'finished" design of a watch dial and case back seems like a lot to expect.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
I have to agree with a number of comments in this thread. With no offense intended to anybody who participated, I think this contest underscores the reason why Chris W. is a qualified professional watch designer, and I'm not.

If everybody could design a beautiful watch, there'd be boutique watch kiosks in every mall in America.

I would be worried, too (a concern expressed by others on this thread) that LT would feel obligated to produce "the winner's watch," when it might very well end up being little more than a gratuitous pat on the head for members of the WTF/LT, and nobody'd buy it. That would be a disaster for Lum-Tec, which needs every cent -- and all its resources -- to plow back into R&D and maintaining a healthy, vigorous growth profile.

I wish the moderators would start another thread -- after the winner's selection is made -- and poll forum participants to see whether or not there's sufficient interest to warrant production. If not, let's "punt" and -- instead -- reward the winner in a different way. Maybe LT could give the winner his choice of free LT, model-year-'12 watches as an acknowledgement of his creativity.

I agree with Dangeruss;I haven't seen anything that I'd be interested in buying, and I'm a guy who'd buy about 95% of Lum-Tec's offerings if I had the money. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have to agree with a number of comments in this thread. With no offense intended to anybody who participated, I think this contest underscores the reason why Chris W. is a qualified professional watch designer, and I'm not.

If everybody could design a beautiful watch, there'd be boutique watch kiosks in every mall in America.

I would be worried, too (a concern expressed by others on this thread) that LT would feel obligated to produce "the winner's watch," when it might very well end up being little more than a gratuitous pat on the head for members of the WTF/LT, and nobody'd buy it. That would be a disaster for Lum-Tec, which needs every cent -- and all its resources -- to plow back into R&D and maintaining a healthy, vigorous growth profile.

I wish the moderators would start another thread -- after the winner's selection is made -- and poll forum participants to see whether or not there's sufficient interest to warrant production. If not, let's "punt" and -- instead -- reward the winner in a different way. Maybe LT could give the winner his choice of free LT, model-year-'12 watches as an acknowledgement of his creativity.

I agree with Dangeruss;I haven't seen anything that I'd be interested in buying, and I'm a guy who'd buy about 95% of Lum-Tec's offerings if I had the money. :thumbup:
My guess is that Chris knows very well what he is doing in this business, and he surely won't produce masses of unsellable watches.
That is no doubt one of the reasons the rules are that it has to be based on an existing case and a non-eta movement.

Forum watch doesn't sell? Replace forum dial, hands and case back with standard M or B model dial, hands and back and presto it's a watch again that will sell.
So the only 'risk' in the production of this forum watch for Chris would be a bunch of dials and some custom engraved case backs... Not a very big deal eh?

My submission for that reason also still looks very much like a LT design, but still it doesn't get a lot of votes, lol.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts