WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This place is better than others in this respect (probably because we are not so busy - and it is a tight knit bunch) but I'll offer up the following for discussion regardless.

Firstly I know the forum has rules. I see these as being different to manners or etiquette.

I was thinking about the things that irritate me about certain posters and posts and thought I would start a topic for constructive discussion. Without naming any names (let's not start an argument) here are the things that annoy me:

a) Post pics. If you are getting opinions on the shortlist you are considering then at least go to the effort of showing us the asthetics.

b) Not responding or concluding as the OP. My pet hate. Asking other members to go to the time and trouble to help you (which watch within a remit is the classic) and then never concluding the thread by telling everyone what you did or responding to a few suggestions. I would ban these blood suckers if I was a mod! (That's why I shouldn't be a mod - amongst other reasons!)

c) Telling people to use the search function because a topic has been discussed before. Oh just move on if you think you've read it all!

That's three off the top of my head. Over to you.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
a) Post pics. If you are getting opinions on the shortlist you are considering then at least go to the effort of showing us the asthetics.
Hallelujah brother! I used to have this signature:

My #1 internet rule: NO PICTURES = NO HELP. It's the maximum strength version of

My #2 internet rule: No product review is worthwhile unless the OP has owned the item at least 6 months. EVERYBODY is enamored with their new toy. :001_rolleyes:

My #3 internet rule: Old does not necessarily equal RARE! :cursing:​

b) Not responding or concluding as the OP. My pet hate. Asking other members to go to the time and trouble to help you (which watch within a remit is the classic) and then never concluding the thread by telling everyone what you did or responding to a few suggestions. I would ban these blood suckers if I was a mod! (That's why I shouldn't be a mod - amongst other reasons!)
That one doesn't bother me as much. If they asked, they probably read our advice. Whether the OP took it or not is their choice.

..... and frankly, most times I don't care if they bought the Armani or Fossil. :sneaky2::laugh:

c) Telling people to use the search function because a topic has been discussed before. Oh just move on if you think you've read it all!
That's what we used refer to as "Getting Stufflered" a few years back on WUS. There are TONS of silly subjects that are repeated exponentially (ie: zombie apocalypse/desert island watch, what watch = what car, brand X vs. brand Y, etc). I can see why this is annoying to long term members - after seeing the 6th thread on the same topic in 8 months, but from a n00b who thinks it's a novel new subject, people find those same old discussion tedious.

One of my biggest pet peeves are fanboys. The mindless drones who blindly worship at the alter of a certain brand regardless of what that manufacturer puts out. I've been an Omega guy for years, but I've had my qualms with certain calibers they've made and have no trouble expressing my distaste. You'll never hear me waxing philosophical about the intangible benefits of any brand like some die hards do.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Great topic!!

So I agree whole-heartedly with A & B. Don't ask me to spend my time helping you if you're not willing to go thru the minimal task of posting pictures of what you're talking about. It's your question, provide the info I need to help without wasting extra time unnecessarily. And absolutely, when you ask for inputs on something, let us know what you ended up doing!

But I sorta disagree with C. Sometimes, yes I can see this not being a good answer. But there are WAY too many cases where the same question has been asked repeatedly (once 3 times on one page of posts had the person just read the title of the other threads on page 1 in that forum!). It doesn't take much to use the search feature, and way too many people are simply too lazy and want others to spoon feed them. If you've tried to use the search and couldn't get what you needed, hey ask away even if the answers are there. I have no problem with that. But to not use it at all, or expect others to do the searching for you, that's a pet peeve of mine. Especially when the question asked can be found in 5 or 6 seconds on Google.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Oh, and one other thing I really hate is when people think their opinion is the only thing that patters or is correct. Don't assert your opinion as a hard and fast fact just because you disagree with someone else opinions. You're welcome to your opinion of what I think, said, like or own. But just because you think it's the 1 and only correct answer doesn't make that a fact.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on the topic / opinion being rendered as 'fact'.

And sometimes it's so far out it's more of a definition of delusional than fanboy... :scared: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :eek:hmy:

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
  1. Brand "A" vs Brand "B" threads. Everyone knows these will always turn into flame-wars. Including the OP.
  2. "How much is my watch worth?":glare:
  3. Say what you mean and mean what you say. I can't stand passive/aggressive ****tiness.
  4. Anyone who says anything less than "Congratulations" in response to an incoming thread.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But I sorta disagree with C. Sometimes, yes I can see this not being a good answer. But there are WAY too many cases where the same question has been asked repeatedly (once 3 times on one page of posts had the person just read the title of the other threads on page 1 in that forum!). It doesn't take much to use the search feature, and way too many people are simply too lazy and want others to spoon feed them. If you've tried to use the search and couldn't get what you needed, hey ask away even if the answers are there. I have no problem with that. But to not use it at all, or expect others to do the searching for you, that's a pet peeve of mine. Especially when the question asked can be found in 5 or 6 seconds on Google.
Hi,

I'm getting a bit of heat on point c) - here and elsewhere - but I need to be clear. I have no issue with people posting a link to other threads that might help the OP - but cussing them down and telling them to use the search function is unwelcoming and poor manners.

Something I have to say I don't think I have seen here to be honest.

Regards,

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Hi,

I'm getting a bit of heat on point c) - here and elsewhere - but I need to be clear. I have no issue with people posting a link to other threads that might help the OP - but cussing them down and telling them to use the search function is unwelcoming and poor manners.

Something I have to say I don't think I have seen here to be honest.

Regards,
No heat here GETS, I think this is great. I do get what you're saying and semi-agree, But it does bug me when the OP doesn't even try to look it up. If other members can post links to the OP, why couldn't that OP have done it themselves? I won't cuss down a member for asking (they may not know where the search page is), but if I know it's been discussed to death I WILL tell them to use the search feature, and post a link to the search page. But I won't run the search and post the links for them. I don't think it's bad manners to tell them to use the search feature. After all maybe if they use it once they'll use it again next time vs. asking others to do their research instead. I'll take you to the water trough, but I won't fill the cup & hold it to their lips to get them to drink it.. :biggrin:

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
I won't cuss down a member for asking (they may not know where the search page is), but if I know it's been discussed to death I WILL tell them to use the search feature, and post a link to the search page. But I won't run the search and post the links for them.
That does get old, doesn't it? Remember our buddy CUSO? We did quite a bit of his homework for him despite how easy it was to ask The Google.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Anyone who says anything less than "Congratulations" in response to an incoming thread.
People who post incoming threads simply to have a bunch of sycophants say "Congratulations". Anyone can whip out a checkbook - at least tell the story behind the hunt and be prepared to justify/defend your decision.

I agree about the OP (c) - when I was a mod on a different forum, one of the rules was you could not say "search noob" - you had to say "search _x_ noob"

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
People who post incoming threads simply to have a bunch of sycophants say "Congratulations". Anyone can whip out a checkbook - at least tell the story behind the hunt and be prepared to justify/defend your decision.
You make a valid point, but they're showing their excitement and enthusiasm for their new toy so most try to be polite.

Now if they ask for opinions, then give them yours with no punches pulled.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whilst I would simply say nothing or perhaps compliment them on their new choice of watch, I do have some simpathy for the sentiment above. Congratulating someone on the depth of their pocket has always seemed a little strange to me. When people have "congratulated" me I sometimes think "I only bought it - I didn't build the thing!"

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts

I agree about the OP (c) - when I was a mod on a different forum, one of the rules was you could not say "search noob" - you had to say "search _x_ noob"
Whilst I would simply say nothing or perhaps compliment them on their new choice of watch, I do have some simpathy for the sentiment above. Congratulating someone on the depth of their pocket has always seemed a little strange to me. When people have "congratulated" me I sometimes think "I only bought it - I didn't build the thing!"

Regards,
I realize net worth is relative and that the acquisition of any watch requires laying out funds in a (mostly) responsible manner, but if someone is proud of purchasing the watch, the least we can do is congratulate them. Maybe there isn't much of a story beyond the saving of the money to pull off the purchase, or perhaps there's nothing interesting to say about acquiring a Seiko OM that hasn't been said already.

Like I said, if there's nothing I have to offer that is in the way of complimentary, I'll simply say nothing.

·
Super Moderator
16,568 Posts
Awesome topic! Hmmm...let's see...
A) Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou. Pictures go a long way in putting us in a receptive mood in order to answer questions or give opinions. My pet peeve is the guy wanting you to identify his watch and not supplying photos.

B) No response. I think it's a little rude, but I don't get bent out of shape over it- probably because of how often it happens. Or doesn't happen. Depends on your viewpoint.
But thank-yous are always nice and feedback helps too. Did we give the right advice? Did we put our point across clearly or confuse the OP even more?

C) Go look it up. I don't think I've ever done this because I was irritated. I do know I've done it on quite a few occasions in an attempt to get certain info to an OP without snubbing or disrespecting one or more of our Sponsors. And I do try to put myself in the shoes of someone so new to watches that he/she just doesn't know what kind of information is out there in Googleland. But then, that shouldn't be an excuse for not doing some basic research on your own first.

D) Fanboys. I have hardly any patience with them. Some, I've deleted. One, I recently rebutted. Most, I just bite my tongue, shake my head, don't type anything, and move on, hoping they've had their say and we'll never see them again.

E) A vs. B & The Dreaded Deserted Island. I've learned to live with this one. Maybe it's done to start a flame war. Maybe it's done out of pure and genuine interest. Either way- they usually die out in a day or two.

F) Congrats. Yeah, I'm guilty of this one! I suppose it wouldn't kill me to type 8 more letters and use the full word. Congratulations on a good peeve!

G) Right up there with Mr. I Don't Use Photobucket is the English-speaking person who won't bother to check his spelling. It is understandable if English is not your first language, but for the rest- come on! On many occasions I've ignored a post simply because I could not make out what the person was trying to say. Word substitutions, such as moar instead of more irritate me as well.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
G) Right up there with Mr. I Don't Use Photobucket is the English-speaking person who won't bother to check his spelling. It is understandable if English is not your first language, but for the rest- come on! On many occasions I've ignored a post simply because I could not make out what the person was trying to say. Word substitutions, such as moar instead of more irritate me as well.
I would also add to this the lack of even attempting to use punctuation. I know we're not writing graded papers here, so I'm not expecting perfection, but I swear some people have never heard of a comma and sometimes even a period. There's been times I've had to read posts numerous times just do decipher them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.