WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, where the heck is everybody? I'm one of the guilty ones as I haven't been on much in the past year, I have lots of hobbies and I tend to zone in on one or two at a time and drop the others for a bit (adhd), and I've been concentrating on my vintage bikes and a corvette for a while, but winter usually runs me back in the house and I get back to watches and stereo, or finishing the house :rolleyes:. There seems to be a lot of activity on the FB accutron pages but I really hate FB. Guess I'll make another FB account just for watches and cars. But I hope people haven't left here just for FB. It's certainly not as active as two years ago. I do miss it. I wonder if Chris R is taking in any new work yet?
Bill

· Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing really new in the world of vintage Accutron. Maybe when and if the tuning fork movements get reissues in a couple years, maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be cool, I'd love to see that happen. Is that a real possibility?
btw... there does seem to be a lot more activity on the FB groups, I just have an aversion to FB.

· Administrator
7,661 Posts
That would be cool, I'd love to see that happen. Is that a real possibility?
btw... there does seem to be a lot more activity on the FB groups, I just have an aversion to FB.
I hear you about FB. So many group members are there just to see how much crap they can cause and then the BS and drama that goes on there means I'm on it less & less with each passing month.

· Premium Member
5,968 Posts
I joined one of the very active Accutron Facebook forums about 1.5 years ago. It now looks like the postings per day have fallen off there some and the membership climb has stagnated since I was on there. I noticed many of the WTF members migrated over there and I enjoyed their company. (BUT)>>>>> I also saw a few that had been banned on the forum and several that I had shady run-ins with on ebay. Add that to the fact that many of the members were clueless on what 'correct' Accutrons looked like you got sour grape responses if you told a novice member he bought a cobbled-together fake Spaceview. They don't like hearing that. So in one Month I had enough and quit. I hate Facebook to begin with. Add that to having to hang out with shady characters and that is what led me to "EXIST STAGE LEFT". I have other interests that don't require games or politics or idiots. But it is sad the forum has gone quiet. Oh well.

Reactions: mikeyt_53

· Premium Member
5,968 Posts
I wonder if Chris R is taking in any new work yet?
Bill
I can't recall how long it's been since this notice went up on his website? Over a year? No matter, it's been a long time. You would think he would have caught up by now. Did he quit working on them? :unsure:

Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper product

· Registered
24 Posts
I quit FB over a year ago but i do remember seeing the Accutron groups. Just got tired of all the political commentary / fake news and garbage that was being posted. I dont do Twitter either and wont go near it as long as Musk is in charge.

· Super Moderator
190 Posts
I try to shunt as much traffic this way as I can, without sounding like a shill.

I do see some of our members out there, doing good work. But it's really lost in a sea of what SM2 refers to, and I paraphrase, "willful, blind, ignorant, and resentful of any truth" types that aren't worth the tic in blood pressure it might require to straighten a belligerent fool out.

I would like to start a thread over here dedicated to the merits, or "lack of" I find in the FB groups. I met one semi-knowledgeable (and very humble about it) hobbyist who started out just learning to clean and repair his collection, and that sort of turned into assembling some watches. I trusted him enough to get an accurate description of a piece that was shy a few critical but obtainable parts in order to make it period correct. And a fair transaction for us both, I believe.

And then there is another guy who blasts his business card on every post, touting his XX years of Accutron service. I happened to pick up one of these fine specimens, it's gonna take Rob B. a while to straighten out all this competence.

Realistically, to start naming names in public smacks of distaste.....unless it's a flagrant BS'r and flouter of rules.

But yeah, I miss the traffic here too. I'll admit this has been a very busy season at work, and I've been lucky to duck in here on weekends.

I'll have a couple more watches to post when they get back from Rob's spa!

· Premium Member
5,968 Posts
And then there is another guy who blasts his business card on every post, touting his XX years of Accutron service. I happened to pick up one of these fine specimens, it's gonna take Rob B. a while to straighten out all this competence.
Oh, you have had experience with the infamous Mr. A.P.....:eek::cool::cool: Oh, the stories I could tell on that guy.

I am content checking in here on occasion and living life outside of most social media platforms. It's really not a healthy life if you live it.

· Registered
455 Posts
I have it from “Sources” that Accutron/Bulova/Citizen are at work on a tuning fork. At issue will be the idea of using the original movement designs from the late 50’s, or… do you modernize the idea? It seems that wrapping the coils is a little tricky; something about scaling up the ability to wrap over a quarter mile of thin thin wire for each watch, and do so at a competitive price point.
What’s the original price of a 214 from the 60’s in 2022 dollars? So that’s the conundrum as it currently stands.

· Premium Member
5,968 Posts
I have it from “Sources” that Accutron/Bulova/Citizen are at work on a tuning fork. At issue will be the idea of using the original movement designs from the late 50’s, or… do you modernize the idea? It seems that wrapping the coils is a little tricky; something about scaling up the ability to wrap over a quarter mile of thin thin wire for each watch, and do so at a competitive price point.
What’s the original price of a 214 from the 60’s in 2022 dollars? So that’s the conundrum as it currently stands.

Didn't they already do that with the 50th Anniversary Spaceview?
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Bicycle part Auto part Jewellery Circle Metal

Font Metal Fashion accessory Gear Circle

Reactions: mikeyt_53

· Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Yup. But it was a money loser. This one needs to be viable. Something about good business?!?

Ah, so it's really not a question of whether they have already re-engineered the intricate Tuning fork movement (which they have) but is about affordability if they produce any tuning fork watches in the future for the buying public.

· Registered
455 Posts
Ah, so it's really not a question of whether they have already re-engineered the intricate Tuning fork movement (which they have) but is about affordability if they produce any tuning fork watches in the future for the buying public.
Seems to be the case. We all know the story about destroying the machinery and needing to reverse engineer the movement for the anniversary watches. But apparently they still have the schematics and manufacturing notes. The issue is not the index wheel, but the coils. And then, if you can remake it, how could you make it better?
I’d assume that the electro static movement Accutron is currently using was an offshoot of that design process, using contemporary tech to do something similar.

· Registered
569 Posts
Oh, you have had experience with the infamous Mr. A.P.....:eek::cool::cool: Oh, the stories I could tell on that guy.

I am content checking in here on occasion and living life outside of most social media platforms. It's really not a healthy life if you live it.
I'm pretty sure I know the AP you are referring to ;) but believe Rollerberg is referring to a relatively recent addition to those groups and cringe when I see him post. I must admit, I have been drawn over to the FB groups (by fellow members from here).Some of us do try to help out and provide "constructive" feedback, advice, guidance and often refer to this group for reference. For the most part the regulars are a pretty good bunch but there are some that I could do without. I still like to pop in here from time to time and appreciate all that I have learned from being a member here over the years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts