WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

First time buyer needs help: Seiko vs. Orient

70K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dwenger 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello WTF community, hopefully you can help me decide which Japanese automatic to purchase! This is my first Japanese automatic and I'm relatively new to the world of watches, so your expert opinions are needed!

Basically it's between two models. I love the Rolex GMT with the Pepsi bezel, however I don't want to purchase a copy.

It's between this Seiko:
Seiko-SKX175-Automatic-Silver-Tone-Watch

and this Orient:
Orient-CEM65006D-Bezel-Automatic-Watch

Now I'm aware that Orient makes its own movements in-house. I'm also aware that Seiko owns Orient. I suppose I'm a bit concerned about the accuracy of the Seiko. Many reviewers complained about how much time it gains each day. While I am aware that every automatic gains time, is the Seiko's gain abnormal? Does the Orient's quality and craftsmanship far outmatch the Seiko? Or is there another brand I should consider that I'm totally missing the boat on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Love both of the brands, and they are both true manufacturers. To my eye, Seiko is always a little more classic & reserved in style compared to Orient, and I enjoy owning different models from each brand. I don't see how either one could be bad. However, I'm not a diver watch guy, & maybe someone who owns one of these beauties will chime in with more information.

#2 · (Edited)
thanks guys (or girls :confused1:)

I'm sort of leaning towards the Orient for a few reasons.

One is the forty hour reserve. The other is the fact that it's guaranteed made in Japan, whereas I'm not really sure where the Seiko is made. The reviews on the Seiko seem to be a bit more mixed, whereas the Orient is almost entirely positive. The orient seems to have a more durable band, and I haven't read of paint coming off the bezel, as I have about the Seiko. Perhaps you could list some pluses of the Seiko, except for the fact that it looks better. I'm a little more focused on accuracy and durability, however the Seiko's looks make a compelling case. I really like the dark blue face, jubilee style bracelet, and pepsi bezel that stops in between the 20.

And I have a question I haven't been able to figure out. What is that little nob above the crown? I think I read somewhere it's called a date pusher? I had a quartz with a calendar for awhile, and it was always a pain getting the calendar set right. Hmmm.

Well I'm a bit eager to make the sale. With the Earthquake in Japan I'm worried about supplies (among other things, such as the loss of life and nuclear disaster).

#3 ·
the small button advances the day - you can see how this works by clicking the video link above. the one in the video has days in English and French, the one on my Mako comes in English and Arab day variants

the made in Japan argument can be compelling but can't be taken for granted I've seen various Orient Makos with Japan and othes with Japan Movt on the dials. So some are cased in japan whereas others are not. Same thing goes for the Seiko - most are cased in China or Malaysia (where I'm from) whilst a few are case in Japan

#5 ·
Between the 2 of them, I like the styling on the Orient Mako XL, the wider bracelet too. The only negative thing about it is the weaker lume when compared to Seiko. The Seiko SKX175 is a proven classic and still appeal to lots of Seiko diver collectors. You cant go wrong with either. Orient Mako XL will be slightly cheaper to own.

#6 · (Edited)
I own both of the watches your looking at, the only differences being the bezel colors. I'll give my vote for the Seiko.

The case of the Seiko is better than the orient. It's smoother, slightly thicker, has a better fit and finish to it. I like the larger crown on the Seiko, and since it's at the 4 o'clock position, its never in the way or digs in your arm.

The Lume in the Seiko is also better. It's thicker, brighter and last longer than the Orient.

The bezel on the Seiko is as smooth as butter and has a nice feel to it and easy to rotate. The Orient's bezel was very stiff and took a long time to break in where it turned easier, and it's still not as smooth as the Seiko.

The bracelet on the Orient is better than the OEM Seiko. The Seiko Jubilee style is light, using hollow links and folded end links. The Oyster style bracelet on the Orient has solid links, but still uses folded end links. Orient's bracelet has a more solid feel to it.

Both watches use an in-house movement. The Seiko uses a Seiko 7S26, and it's a workhorse. I had no issues with mine what so ever.
The Orient uses the Orient Caliber 46943. Again, this is a solid movement, and I haven't had any issues with mine at all.

In my experience, the stock bracelet on the Seiko is it's only fault and is easly replaced with a more solid William Jean Super Oyster II.

EDIT: Oh and forgot to add that the Seiko is an ISO Cert. Diver's 200M's where the Orient isn't.

Of course, Pics :biggrin:

Here it is wearing the William Jean Super Oyster II with solid end links

Now the Orient

Over all both are great watches and I don't think you'll go wrong getting either. If you factor in buying a Super Oyster for the Seiko, the Orient is less than 1/2 the price of the Seiko and would be my top value pick between these two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.