WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Educated and Informed Omega Forum Members,

I would really appreciate your unreserved opinions on the following Omega that I am seriously considering purchasing:

The 40th Anniversary Gemini IV First Space Walk LE Speedmaster:

Most of you should be familiar with this model as it was first introduced at Basel in 2005 (yes nearly 3 years ago). As the name of the watch gives away it was brought out to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the Gemini IV mission which resulted in Ed White becoming the first man to walk in space, or perform an EVA. On his wrist was a standard Omega Speedmaster which he used to time the 2 1/5 hour experience.

This is a standard present day Moon Watch except for two glaring changes on the front and rear. First the dial is a stunning sky blue with white counter sub-dials. The Omega logo and hour markers are hand placed and add a real high end luxury feel to the watch. These are rhodium plated as are the hands. The bezel is blued aluminium. Finally on the dial in raised red is "1965-2005". On the case back is an enamel mission "patch" for the Gemini IV mission. Additional inscriptions mention the first walk on the moon, the 40th anniversary and, most interestingly the LE number: XXXX/2005. So, only 2005 were ever produced making this, in my opinion, a true LE. Omega have got this wrong in the past IMHO. Can you really say that 10007 is a true LE?

Finally, the packing is all custon made for this watch.

Now, I am a true advocate of the philosophy that a true Moon Watch should be black faced with hesalite covering the dial (I will still want a 3570.50 in my collection). However, as a special commemorative watch this is spot on for me.

The real reason I am truly interested in buying one of these though is the fact that my AD has a NOS BNIB one. He was let down by two time wasters on it. He now has it in his New Year sale at 25% off. However, because I am a good customer and friend of his he is letting it go at 33% off.

As I said above, I would really appreciate your opinions on the watch (I know some LE Speedys weren't well recieved) and the deal being offered.

BTW, the LE number of this particular example is 1221, which I think is also pretty cool.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Go For It Pal

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

There were only 2000 of these made. It's a great watch which not only commemorates a great event but turned the Speedy into a Pro :thumbup1:

I'd get on the phone to your AD if I were you this very second!!!!

That help at all pal? :D:D:D

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hold your horses Zin,:biggrin:

Let our other friends and fellow members have their say first.

I know what your saying though pal. It does seem a good opportunity.

Speak to you soon mate,

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Pal

You've been offered an LE for less than the price of the standard watch discounted.

I rest my cargo ship :lol::lol::lol:

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rest assured Zin that it has been put to one side for me. I just need to let him know before the weekend if I really am going to pull the trigger.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Phew!!

Pull that darned trigger - I'll even send you the bullets if I had any :D:D:D

Double Phew!!!

Cheerio for now pal

ZIN

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
That seems like a very good deal for me. It has been quite some time now, so if you still want the watch, go for it. Still undecided? Fast forward 5 years and think if you would be glad you waited or would be like, 'I should have bought it.'

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree Mr Timefinder,

Regret is a difficult thing to live with.

However, I do not want to end up regretting the purchase if it upsets my wife. She is very supportive of this mad and, almost always, expensive hobby of mine. I need to test the water on how she feels about yet another watch purchase after buying three last year. She would never tell me not to buy it but I need her to be happy about it too.

I think I'm sold on the deal myself but I respect my wife's wishes and, after all, I already have a wonderful collection of timepieces. We'll see.:001_rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Tricky Dicky:

That is an aspect that is most important. Anytime a large purchase is made, for whatever reason, the spouse must be consulted and agree to the purchase. I 100% agree, and it is refreshing in today's day and age to see that people still hold true to this principle.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interestingly I've just had a look in the Omegamania catalogue and item 13 was one of these.

It eventually went under the hammer at CHF6490. This is equal to over £2800! For a two year old one!

I've spoken to Helen and she said that I can have it if I really want it. I told her to think about it over night to see if she's really happy about the situation. If she still says it's OK I'll be pulling the trigger on Saturday.

I don't want to sound like I'm under the thumb but her opinion and happiness is more important to me than watches. Yes, even this one.:biggrin:

·
Registered
276 Posts
What does "NOS BNIB " mean?

I read what you wrote tricky dicky. Although I have not been part of this Omega forum for long, I took every word in. Do you already own the original speedy? I feel the same as you do that at speedy should be black with that hesalite crystal. However, in of itself this watch is a beauty and I would be hard impressed passing it up with the deal I see you getting. Additionally, what the watch means and what it stands for is very interesting and meaningful. I would personally be in a dilemma if I did not have another speedy. However, if I did I would definitely get it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Tricky, you have a wonderful wife that agrees with you madness. I feel bless to also have one at home. That's the most important thing. A watch should be a pleasure to buy and wear, not a source of friction in a familly.

That being said, what are you waiting for to get that watch! It's a beauty. If you ever change your mind, I doubt very much, but you can still find a good home for it.

have a good week end.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What does "NOS BNIB " mean?

I read what you wrote tricky dicky. Although I have not been part of this Omega forum for long, I took every word in. Do you already own the original speedy? I feel the same as you do that at speedy should be black with that hesalite crystal. However, in of itself this watch is a beauty and I would be hard impressed passing it up with the deal I see you getting. Additionally, what the watch means and what it stands for is very interesting and meaningful. I would personally be in a dilemma if I did not have another speedy. However, if I did I would definitely get it.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your input.

NOS BNIB means New Old Stock, Brand New In Box. In other words it is not in the catalogue any more but has not been bought.

I do not own a Moon Watch at present. However, I did own a 3750.50 (current market black dial hesalite Moon Watch) a few years ago. I sold it to fund another horological purchase when I was offered the same money I had paid for it originally. I would always want another 3750.50 and I truly believe that Omega will not stop making these. So I have plenty of time to add one to my collection. I feel the 3750.50 and the Gemini IV Speedy would complement each other well.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tricky, you have a wonderful wife that agrees with you madness. I feel bless to also have one at home. That's the most important thing. A watch should be a pleasure to buy and wear, not a source of friction in a familly.

That being said, what are you waiting for to get that watch! It's a beauty. If you ever change your mind, I doubt very much, but you can still find a good home for it.

have a good week end.
Thank you very much Mr Symtech.

I agree with you totally.

You have a good weekend as well mate.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Well, if it makes you smile, go for it...:thumbup1:

Personally I have nothing with the LE Speedies, there are way to many LE versions to make them ''special'' IMHO.

IMO there is only one Speedy and that is the regular Speedy Pro, and if you want a special edition, go for the cal.321 while they are still ''affordable''..;)

But that is just my opinion..:D:D

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, if it makes you smile, go for it...:thumbup1:

Personally I have nothing with the LE Speedies, there are way to many LE versions to make them ''special'' IMHO.

IMO there is only one Speedy and that is the regular Speedy Pro, and if you want a special edition, go for the cal.321 while they are still ''affordable''..;)

But that is just my opinion..:D:D
I agree GJ.

The Speedy LE market is a little swamped.

I also would like a cal.321 (145.012?) as well. It is the true moon watch after all.:biggrin:

Thanks for you input buddy.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
An AD nearby has one as well... It's a stunning watch :thumbup1: Can't add anything that hasn't been said here already...
Thanks for your input Mr Wautersjr,

Did you notice how much your AD was asking for it? Was it BNIB?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts