WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie when it comes to rolex.. only experience is seeing my dad's all gold president ( why is it called this anyways)...

Ok here is my story guys... hope you are patient..

I am a wife and a mother of three and is generally addicted to designer purses since high school...

My husband is ready to kill me if i buy one more purse and keeps on telling me buy a rolex instead...

Been looking at what's at the mall and the prices are too much ( but not for a purse LOL)

Anyways, that's what made me go to EBAY land...

At purseblog.com ( the purse forum) a whole thread is to authenticate purses, is there such a thread here ??? where can you post a watch with pictures being auctioned at ebay sto that the the experts can then join in authenticating the watch???

If you have the time , then visit google.com and type in purseblog authenticate this balenciaga (my favorite purse brand for the moment) and see how its done..

its my first post.. please be gentle with me
Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
G'day! Beware, once you get the Rolex bug there is no going back!
As for buying your first Rolex on ebay I would not recommend you do it this way.
There are a lot of pitfalls and fakes on ebay and if you don't have any experience with Rolex watches and all the things you need to look for when buying a 2nd hand one then you could get burnt big time.
I started out buying them from reputable second dealers in Rolexes - every major city seems to have a few good dealers. You can generally save approx $1000+ off the RRP and still get a Rolex that is in "near mint" condition.
Recently I have been buying from the Rolex Authorised Dealer - which is the best way to go IMO.

Always remember - Buy the seller not the watch.
The joy of saving a few bucks will quickly sour if you end up not happy with the watch.

And lastly, forums like this are great for newbies to learn and gather info to better help them decide on which model would best suit them.

Good luck & happy hunting!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks.
Will look in portland then
Anybody here from oregon, please tell me where to look for rolex watches in mint or excellent condition. thanks

G'day! Beware, once you get the Rolex bug there is no going back!
As for buying your first Rolex on ebay I would not recommend you do it this way.
There are a lot of pitfalls and fakes on ebay and if you don't have any experience with Rolex watches and all the things you need to look for when buying a 2nd hand one then you could get burnt big time.
I started out buying them from reputable second dealers in Rolexes - every major city seems to have a few good dealers. You can generally save approx $1000+ off the RRP and still get a Rolex that is in "near mint" condition.
Recently I have been buying from the Rolex Authorised Dealer - which is the best way to go IMO.

Always remember - Buy the seller not the watch.
The joy of saving a few bucks will quickly sour if you end up not happy with the watch.

And lastly, forums like this are great for newbies to learn and gather info to better help them decide on which model would best suit them.

Good luck & happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Portland is great for watch shopping ..... no sales tax! Whoo hoo!

There are several in the Portland area. Here is Rolex's new AD finder tool
http://rolex.com/en/inside-rolex/sa...rolex/sales-service/find-a-rolex-dealer/index

I've found that most ADs do some business in the used market as it allows them to easily accept trade ins. There is pretty close to zero chance you'll get a suspect watch from an AD. They wouldn't do anything to jeopardize their relationship with Rolex. Also, please check some of this forum's featured sponsors. You'll see their banner ads on many of the forum's pages. Many of them also deal in "pre-loved" Rolex and the admins along with the forum's founder vouch for them.

And to answer you question regards why it is called the "President". It is my understanding that quite simply several US Presidents have worn them. I know JFK had one and probably several others. The name is fitting for the watch and it just kind of stuck.

Good luck!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I must strongly disagree with Pete17.
This forum has never helped me determine which rolex was best for me. Only which one was the NEXT, best one for me.

Stay away from this Forum.
You will only become better educated and increasingly acquisitive.
Oh sure, the members here will seem to help you, when in fact they will only help you to line the pockets of your local AD.
I was a contented two rolex owner until I relized all of the attributes of those models that I didn't have.

Seriously. One of the most informative sites I have ever encountered. Well spoken, bright and passionate collectors. I whish I could find similar sites for my other passions/vices.

Tempus Fugit,

Trainer

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Amacasa:

We are more than willing to help out; but, I would to ask a few questions to help better answer questions you may have:

1: Do you really want a Rolex, or are you just looking at Swiss watches? (ie, IWC, Omega, etc.)

2: If yes, to # 1, are there any types that interest you?

3: Have you read our reference materials?

4: Have you contacted Rolex to find out if there are any ADs in your area, and how many? Do you need the number?

5: What country do you reside in?

6: Have you seen any models that catch your eye?

7: Are you looking to buy new or used?

Let us know so we can help you better.

Oh, and BTW, we have alot patience. Ask away. That what this forum is for! We all started or ended up here in one way or another. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Trainer......you make a very good & valid point!
My wallet has never been quite the same since I stumbled on sites like this one.:sad:
JBH "says" he's not affiliated with Rolex:001_rolleyes: but I bet he wishes he was! The sales commissions alone would be astronomical.
Come to think of it......he has an awful lot to answer for!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
amacasa,

i'm so hot for a vintage chanel 2.55 bag. there are so many fakes. if you can help authenticate one for my wife i would be very appreciative.

best,

cl

ps. i just purchased an explorer I with solid end link bracelet, its 36mm vs the 40mm for the rolex sports models and i think is the best for people that have small wrist

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chanel 2.55

Hey Cl, nice to know somebody's wife is a purse addict too!!!! :lol:

Here is the link to Chanel authenticate this bag thread... You can have your wife go to the most recent pages and see which bags currently being auctioned have the thumbs up already... This means she can bid away..
Now, if she want to do the questioning herself, then she can easily sign up at purseblog.com so that she has an account herself...

If she has a bag in mind , if its an ebay listing, then give me the id number and i can have it authenticated...

let me know

here is the link to the chanel thread.
good luck!!!!

http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel-shopping/authenticate-this-chanel-214846-90.html

amacasa,

i'm so hot for a vintage chanel 2.55 bag. there are so many fakes. if you can help authenticate one for my wife i would be very appreciative.

best,

cl

ps. i just purchased an explorer I with solid end link bracelet, its 36mm vs the 40mm for the rolex sports models and i think is the best for people that have small wrist

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
OH SO VERY TRUE!!!! Thanks to Scott D in the Breitling forum (uh-oh am I allowed to say the BBB word here?? :D ) I am now lighter in the pocket to the tune of a shiny new Bre###ling). And lo and behold, I find myself sneaking over to this forum and drooling :drool: :001_tt1: over the Seadweller pics (it's just not healthy, I'm sure). And yes, JBH's pics are so good, he must be the best salesman Rolex never had! :lol:

My wallet has never been quite the same since I stumbled on sites like this one.:sad:
JBH "says" he's not affiliated with Rolex:001_rolleyes: but I bet he wishes he was! The sales commissions alone would be astronomical.

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
Misery loves company. :laugh::lol:

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
By the way (and I can't believe no one has mentioned this before) the WTF Rolex Forum Sponsors with banners at the top of this forum are trusted sellers who can save you money on a pre-owned model.

C'mon guys....let's plug the guys that help keep the doors open here! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I stumped for the forum sponsors. I haven't personally dealt with them, but everyone else recommends them highly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts