WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best wishes for 2008 from the land that's first to see the new year in (no, not Kamchatka, the other place...:001_tongue:)
May all your watch purchases/acquisitions for the new year be great ones! And of course, health, wealth and happiness to all of you in WTF world
:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
So it's true the sun rises early in Middle Earth....:) Happy New Year to you too. In a few hours time, I'll join you in 2008.

Cheers!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Happy New Year all!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I've always thought it would be cool, if, instead of people celebrating the new year in their own timezone, which seems rather archaic, everyone would celebrate the new year at midnight in +/-12, or the international dateline.

That way there'd be all this noise and all the world would be in sync for just this brief period each year.

In that manner, celebrating the new year would make sense to me.

The map above illustrates just how arbitrary time zones are, so if it's the new year anywhere on the planet, the whole planet should be celebrating the new year at that time.

C'est ne vrai pas?

My French is horrible.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Best wishes for 2008 from the land that's first to see the new year in (no, not Kamchatka, the other place...:001_tongue:)
May all your watch purchases/acquisitions for the new year be great ones! And of course, health, wealth and happiness to all of you in WTF world
:thumbup:

You are also my odds on favorite for purchasing the first watch of the year as well. In fact when I saw that thread I thought muttley is sure to win that contest. :D

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've always thought it would be cool, if, instead of people celebrating the new year in their own timezone, which seems rather archaic, everyone would celebrate the new year at midnight in +/-12, or the international dateline.

That way there'd be all this noise and all the world would be in sync for just this brief period each year.

In that manner, celebrating the new year would make sense to me.

The map above illustrates just how arbitrary time zones are, so if it's the new year anywhere on the planet, the whole planet should be celebrating the new year at that time.

C'est ne vrai pas?

My French is horrible.
Excellent idea, because it would mean I could have an early night, get up the next day and be sitting down to lunch when it's time to sing auld lang syne. Mind you, I can't imagine the parties would have quite the same 'excitement' factor counting down at 1300 local, instead of midnight (and the fireworks would be a bit cr*p don't ya think?) :biggrin:
Wouldn't worry me too much - spent much of my working life working in Zulu time anyway...

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are also my odds on favorite for purchasing the first watch of the year as well. In fact when I saw that thread I thought muttley is sure to win that contest. :D

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey
Sorry, but I'm tapped out from purchases in '07. Other than the EL watch I think I'll be keeping a low purchasing profile this year.
THAT IS NOT A NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION, perhaps just wishful thinking - as I've stated before: I can resist anything but temptation.....
:wink:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Happy New Year to one and all, may this year bring us all good health , good luck , and good watches... And perhaps Peace in our planet...

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Mind you, I can't imagine the parties would have quite the same 'excitement' factor counting down at 1300 local, instead of midnight (and the fireworks would be a bit cr*p don't ya think?) :biggrin:
Wouldn't worry me too much - spent much of my working life working in Zulu time anyway...
You make a very cogent point. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts