WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of reading about Hamiltons in various fora and increasing desire to own one, I finally found a terrific deal on a certain auction site and grabbed it. I love it. I tried to research it prior to purchase but found nothing--ultimately, the price was good enough that it didn't matter too much that it wasn't in the best condition or may be somewhat franken... (e.g., no "H" logo on the crown). Ultimately, I love the watch--I think the dial is among the most beautiful I've ever seen, and I've not been able to take it off since I got it (despite it having probably the cheapest band I've handled--a condition soon to be remedied).

It was described as a Boatswain model. I've attached pictures for reference. It's 10k RGP, 33mm across ex crown, 671 movement. The crystal appears to be acrylic and is cracked between 5:30 and 7. Could anyone provide me more information on it? For example, possible year of manufacture, if there are any unoriginal bits on it, if it was originally lumed, etc.? I'm planning on restoring it and would like to get as close to original as reasonably possible.

Thank you in advance.

Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Weclome to the Hamilton Forum. Congratulations on the new watch. Your model is the Boatswain II from 1961.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Welcome Patrick - and congratulations on the acquisition. I agree, that dial is just beautiful. Wear it in good health.

stales

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the OP (Patrick) is still around I'd love to hear more about the purchase (price and perceived value).

I don't know much about watches (other than that I fancy them) but the site here does seem to provide a ton of resource material including catalogs. Thank you to the membership! The Boatswain looked to also be in the 1958 catalog. Can the more experienced chaps provide info on how to narrow down the model year? I presume it requires running the serial number.

I would also be curious if the vintage Hamilton watches are valued today based on their original purchase price (which obviously depends on various factors). For instance this watch was $65 while the Ventura was $200. Any current day conclusions I can draw from this - with accuracy? Obviously some watches are more rare or more coveted, but setting that aside...

What would one expect to pay for this boatswain in working condition but needing servicing?

Thanks much mates.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Gday and welcome Mac - have inserted answers....

If the OP (Patrick) is still around I'd love to hear more about the purchase (price and perceived value). Don't think we've seen Patrick since this post. More's the pity!

I don't know much about watches (other than that I fancy them) but the site here does seem to provide a ton of resource material including catalogs. Thank you to the membership! Credit to Tom Diss for kicking this off and to Dave (McC) for the ladies thread and for the picture archive.

The Boatswain looked to also be in the 1958 catalog. Can the more experienced chaps provide info on how to narrow down the model year? I presume it requires running the serial number. Yes; one good site is <<here>>. NAWCC members get access to even more detailed info; right down to when a movement went into the finishing room

I would also be curious if the vintage Hamilton watches are valued today based on their original purchase price (which obviously depends on various factors). For instance this watch was $65 while the Ventura was $200. Any current day conclusions I can draw from this - with accuracy? Obviously some watches are more rare or more coveted, but setting that aside...Not necessarily. There is a basic correlation for solid gold and/or solid gold with diamonds; they were more expensive than gold filled / no diamonds back in the day - and are now. But you could never draw straight line comparison between original cost and today's value.

What would one expect to pay for this boatswain in working condition but needing servicing?No idea; someone here may have kept a track of values. In good condition and working order I imagine folk here would be prepared to pay $150-$250; more if it had its original band and/or box. A clean and service runs between $50 and $150 depending upon your watch guy so that can be a significant factor in the sale price.

Thanks much mates. No worries mate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you Stales.

A well-coagulated reply, clearly posted by a forum veteran.
Much appreciated. I'll look at your directives as time permits. I believe the NAWCC site I've stumbled across in my massive googling efforts.

mac

1 - 7 of 7 Posts