WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there to all Hamilton watch fans...found this forum this morning and thought I'd join and let people know what I've been doing...Bought myself a Khaki Field chronograph for myself for Xmas..it has a 42mm case, brown dial, display back, Valjoux 7750 movement..does not say 'Swiss Made' on dial, so probably assembled elsewhere...came with a small khaki strap that I have replaced with a bown leather Hirsch strap...well, this watch is comfortable to wear & keeps much better time then I expected(haven't had to wind it yet)..it is my new 'daily driver' watch...picked it up for $399.00 at Overstock.com...best bargain in mechanical watches I have come across yet..still, I plan on ordering the Khaki Officer chronopgraph this weekend(44mm case, black dial, large Arabic numerals, same movement, Swiss made)..while it is about $700.00, I still consider it to be a baragin for this class of watch!!!...anyway, I'll try to post a review of the watch once it comes in:001_rolleyes:...I think I'll try to reserve space(and $) for at least one new Hamilton a year ...what do you guys think of their Chronographs???

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
I've had my Hamilton 42mm chrono for about 6 years and have worn it a lot.
It remains one of my most consistant and reliable timekeepers.

Welcome to Watch Talk Forums and the Hamilton Forum.

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
Hi Thunder1 and welcome to the newest WTF forum. Nice watch, sounds like a good deal. Check the back of the case to see if it says SWISS MADE there.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi there Rusty!!..yes, I've checked and the case back itself is blank...however, the movement's rotor is engraved 'Hamilton, 25 jewels, Swiss'...so, I am guessing some or all case\dial parts are non Swiss sourced or non Swiss assembled...regardless, it is a bargain and I wouldn't be planning on buying another Hamilton chrono if I wasn't pleased..I very much like their silver Jazz power reserve and frogman watches, as well...they're distinctive and affordable to both wear and later, pass down to my son....I'm glad I stumbled upon mention of these new Hamiltons on another site...

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
I have been told by a former Hamilton AD (authorized dealer) that some of the watches, while having Swiss parts/movements are assembled in the Phillipines.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
thunder1... welcome to the perfect place for you to spend you "Forum" time! We talk about all aspects of the Hamilton Brand new, vintage, Swiss, American etc. We are all very interested in your pictures and comments and look forward to your feedback!:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I did it!!!...ordered the Hammy Officer's Chrono(#H71716533) this morning....it should be here in a few days...can hardly wait...I'll let you guys know what I think of it soon ...wish me luck!!!:lol:

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
Congrats-that's a classic looking chrono.

When it arrives be aware that this model has a minute and hour subdial.
There is no continuous (subsidiary)seconds hand-only a chrono seconds hand.
This characteristic is not unusual and is also found on the Sinn 757 UTC.
I mention this because some aren't crazy about the lack of a sub-seconds and it often goes unnoticed until the watch is inspected in person.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My new Hammy has Arrived!!!

My new Khaki Officer's Chrono arrived yesterday afternoon, along w/ a Seiko SPB001....this is my 2nd Hammy...a few words on my initial impressions...1)this is a large diameter watch(44mm)....on a black dial(w/ 'Swiss Made' below the 6), the large white Arabaic numerals really stand out, and the day and day of theweek windows are quite legible to these aging eyes...haven't observed the lume at night yet..2)there are only 2 sub dials( the typical 60 second dial is foregone)...overall visual affect is that this a very uncluttered dial vis-a-vis a Breitling dial....3)the entire case, including the bezel, is brushed SS and is tall, as is typical of the chronos I've seen...the signed crown was easy to use for the watch's initial setup...4)the brown leather, white stitched band has proven to be comfortable so far...the unsigned clasp is double pronged, ala Panerei....5)has a screw down display back...

As mentioned in an earlier post, I bought this 2md Hammy because I was so terribly impressed with the 42mm, copper dialed Khaki chrono that I bought myself for Xmas....I swear, I think this watch is losing or gaining something less than 5 seconds a day!!!...when I get some time, I am going to test it for 24 hours against a radio controlled clock that I have...

I am tempted to write up some kind of a comparison review between my new 44mm chrono w/ it's ETA/Valjoux movement and my Concord Impressario chrono w/ it's Zenith El Primero(?) movement....I'm thinking the Hammy will acquit itself quite well against it's higher priced competitor!!!..well, that's all for now folks..have a great weekend everybody!!!

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
What? No pics yet? :mad: We demand pics!

Enjoy the watch Thunder but you know what you have to do now...the people have spoken.

Oh, I almost forgot, congrats and welcome to WTF.:)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Congrats on your 2nd Hammy. It appears your first Hammy is the same as mine. I got an original strap from the Singapore Swatch Service Center in my trip there last year. Kinda disappointed that for some reason the original deployant did not feel good on my smallish wrists (6 3/4"), so I ended up replacing it with an aftermarket double fold which works perfect.

Too bad my wrists are too small for anything over 42mm. Would have wanted a few of those bigger models.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts