WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been covered numerous times, but please don't flame me (n00b). I am one of the lucky few that got in on the M61. This will be my first "real" watch and definitely my first automatic. I am planning on daily wearing it, but I'm pretty sure I should still get myself a winder. I only really need a single watch winder for now, although I do have my eye on more Lum-Tecs. I can always get a larger one for somewhere else, but I would like a nice, small, quiet, inexpensive winder that will look good on my night stand. Any ideas? I really have no clue where to start. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
161 Posts
One watch... Daily wearer... You don't need a winder... but if it makes you happy then get one. It would never-the-less, still be superfluous.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One watch... Daily wearer... You don't need a winder... but if it makes you happy then get one. It would be never-the-less, still be superfluous.
Please forgive my ignorance, but how does an automatic work if it dies? Lum-Tecs have a 40 hour power reserve so that should cover me for almost two full days of no movement. If I was to leave it by accident and it died, can I just wind it back up and adjust the date somehow? I've never had an automatic watch before... Sorry :blushing:

·
Registered
161 Posts
There's a rotor that turns on it's axis. It's set in motion via your arm and wrist movement(s), during the times you're wearing the watch. Its rotation winds the mainspring that keeps the watch wound. If the mainspring winds down, the watch stops... it doesn't 'die'. Besides... you can always manually wind the watch... giving the crown a few turns every now and then. Read-up a little bit. Plenty of info here... http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/beginners-watch-forum/47523.htm

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a rotor that turns on it's axis. It's set in motion via your arm and wrist movement(s), during the times you're wearing the watch. Its rotation winds the mainspring that keeps the watch wound. If the mainspring winds down, the watch stops... it doesn't 'die'. Besides... you can always manually wind the watch... giving the crown a few turns every now and then. Read-up a little bit. Plenty of info here... http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/beginners-watch-forum/47523.htm
I knew most of that, but I just wasn't sure about the date part. I'm assuming once you wind the watch back up you can set the date like you would the time? No harm, no foul? I just really don't want to mess up my Lum-Tec. I will definitely give that thread a read. Thank you again!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I knew most of that, but I just wasn't sure about the date part. I'm assuming once you wind the watch back up you can set the date like you would the time? No harm, no foul? I just really don't want to mess up my Lum-Tec. I will definitely give that thread a read. Thank you again!
Yes, the crown will pull out in two positions - the first is to set the date and the second is to set the time.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You still need to set date manually when you just pass a month with less than 31 days. :T

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just make sure that you adjust the time first; looking at the date change to ensure that you are in the right time (am vs pm).
Make sure that it is NOT in the time around 11 pm to 2-3 am when you change the date.
This can be tricky if there is no indication of am/pm (non-24 hour watch). You might think it is set at noon when actually it is midnight.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
A certain forum owner who just happens to have some extra watch winders laying around just posted them in the Sales Forum....smokin' hot deals! :w00t::cool1:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Just make sure that you adjust the time first; looking at the date change to ensure that you are in the right time (am vs pm).
Make sure that it is NOT in the time around 11 pm to 2-3 am when you change the date.
This can be tricky if there is no indication of am/pm (non-24 hour watch). You might think it is set at noon when actually it is midnight.
^ +1, if I'm reading what you're trying to say correctly.

I always first set the date (or day/date depending on what complications your movement has) to the day before, then I set the current time. This takes care of the AM/PM issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A certain forum owner who just happens to have some extra watch winders laying around just posted them in the Sales Forum....smokin' hot deals! :w00t::cool1:
That Orbita Sparta Executive 2 is very nice. Now I just need to justify a $400 winder (regular $1000) for my $800 watch :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
If I hadn't allready had two watch winders I would have jumped on it. Just bought a cheap 6-winder for the same amount as your hi-tech 4-winder.

Some time you win, most of the times you loose :cool1:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is me. I get around. ;)
Haha.. Good stuff. I remember you posting about picking up an M25. I actually first heard about the Lum-Tecs on CSi. I blame you entirely for my new addiction. I can see this getting very expensive.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have more than six automatic watches and use a six watch winder made by Wolf that I bought on sale for 50% off.

If you do buy a winder, buy a good one or do not buy one at all. :thumbup1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts